CZ3D vs AT Pro

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned and used both.....the CZ is deeper but everything else goes to the pro. This is just my opinion, but I feel the cz is to heavy and ackward to swing. The cz I owned loved deep rusty nails. Id on nickels wasnt as great as others proclaimed on the cz either.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep it high and dry if your hunting in water, rain or snow.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Digger, how are things there? Many people run cz's with too much sensitivity, but the video maker didn't. They are only supposed to run at 5 at the highest so as to avoid nails and iron dust. Running too high will leave them overpowering coins which have a smaller shoeprint while reading nails (and high iron soil) better. I know that most people who own a cz realize this, but I run at higher sensitivity sometimes too. The difference is that I know the sounds and patterns, and so far I've only dug up one spike, that's all. Still, that's an astounding difference in depth in this vid. For my soil, Whites, Teknetics, and Fisher run right over the top of Minelab and Garrett, Tesoro too, they just handle this bad soil better. I don't know where that video was made, but location could play a big role in the massive difference in depth. Yes, cz's are beasts .. and on our salt beaches here, they blow the doors off of Whites multi freq's too. I used to own a Sovereign, sold it to some guy on here, the cz went deeper. I was wondering if the guy when using the ATP was doing something wrong.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Larry, Maybe i got a clunker CZ....but it had been Nasa Tom tuned. It was one of the deeper machines i have used, but it would scream coin on deep nails no matter what sense i ran. I really wanted to love this machine....but could not. I dont love my ATP for its depth....it is about an average depth machine. I love it because i know exactly what it is telling me. I love it because i have built trust in it with hundreds of dug up targets(good and trash)....
I would really like to try another CZ.....perhaps an older CZ-3d or a cz-5. I have read that they all have their own "personalities" and some love iron. They will get the deep coins though. I found a deep large cent at a public, well-hunted area with mine.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Tom cranked too much sensitivity into it, or that's what it sounds like. A CZ70 is a lot tamer and smoother-running than a cz3d, by far, and because of its notch configuration, but it is not as good on teardrop size gold nuggets or earrings. Both pretty much match each other for nickel depth though. In some soils a CZ will outperform an F75 because of the F75's super-high sensitivity: I got the following from Dave Johnson's interview, something to consider:

"The T2 and F75 are very sensitive machines, which makes them more vulnerable to electrical interference than a less aggressive machine like the F4."

"Don’t be afraid to crank the sensitivity ‘way down if necessary: the T2 and F75 are still hot machines even at low sensitivity settings."

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting thread. I do not own a CZ but enjoy reading about different machines and technology. Perhaps in the future, I will have the pleasure to give one a try.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was getting all kinds of hits, including iron, in the area he used for the test before he buried the dime...looked like the AT was picking up that iron in pro mode and didn't pick it up in standard mode...maybe that's why standard mode gave a cleaner signal...he didn't lift the AT to see how high he could still get a signal when it was coming in solid in standard mode...Im sure the CZ3d is deeper than the AT but I don't think he was testing in clean ground.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably hitting one of those rusty nails with the cz. Mine lied repeatedly. ..swearing that deep, rusty nails were coins. This is where the atp kicks the cz's butt, unless you collect nails

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you just bored recycling your same posts from last year? Your posts are all the same...we get it..you don't like Garrett ..I'm sure you have 200 years of experience too

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He doesnt hate Garrett; he hates the ATpro....he has made that clear in other posts....lol

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of older guys HATE the atpro....i think it is because #1. They cant find another waterproof vlf with a screen to compare it to other than a $2500 ctx. And, #2. They are mad because they didnt have one of them in the 80's and now tthe "newbies" arre going back to their old "hunted out" spots and finding good stuff. And all without spending $1500 or more!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i said "alot" not all.....i am refering to the seasoned hunters who refuse to admit that some of the newer digital detectors are 10x better than the old anaLOG MACHINE they have been using for the last two decades!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CZ7a pro. I have been using for the last 15-16 years, silent hunter, all digital interface, looked at the CZ3D other than the throw back controls I really didn't see much difference. My pro gives no false signals on the wet sand at all, but it will not detect as deep as some of the newer models from fisher and other manufacturers that are out there today.
A bent rusty nail id's as a quarter, but gives a double blip so I know it's a nail. Still I am retiring the pro and moving to a White's MX5. I just put my pro on Craigslist today and will order my MX5 tomorrow and take advantage of the special white's is running with the TRX.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i said "alot" not all.....i am refering to the seasoned hunters who refuse to admit that some of the newer digital detectors are 10x better than the old anaLOG MACHINE they have been using for the last two decades!

And to be honest, I'm sure I will be that way...I already think that about cars and I'm only 35...but even new cars are made of plastic and sometimes feels cheap..they are still good running cars and serve their purpose

i just think it's lame to start talking trash about brands on a site like this, it only gets people fueled up.

not to mention he came on the Garrett part to start stuff

Last edited:

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The purpose of the original post wasn't clear to me. One liner with no explanation on why...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread