AT Pro Pointer Alternative?

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here's an air test of it

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
I just checked out the spec PDF on it, yes it does have a proximity alert on it and up to 30 hour battery life on 9vlt.....looks good

Per PDF

Usage
When a target is detected, Nokta Pointer will produce an audio
and/or vibration alert. The rate of the pulsing audio or vibrations will
increase as it gets closer to the target and it will decrease as it is
moved away.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Working Frequency 11.6KHz
Metal Detection Audio and/or vibration alert
Sensitivity User adjustable
Auto-Shut Off Yes
Coil Interference Blocking Yes
Dimensions 24x4.8x4.8cm (9.4''x1.9''x1.9'') (including the hard-shell digger case)
Detection Tip 9.3cm ( 3.7'')
Weight 235gr (8.3oz) (including the battery and hard-shell digger case)
Working Temperature -20°C/+50°C (-4°F/+122°F)
Battery 9V Alkaline Battery
Battery Life Up to 30 Hours
Light Yes

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Nokta machines are made in Turkey. Garrett machines are made in USA. Have you ever got a quote to see what it costs to send a package to the Middle East?

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it wouldn't be worth the $10-$15 savings looking long term. I didn't know where they were made. Garrett would be the way to go for sure.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yeah, it wouldn't be worth the $10-$15 savings looking long term. I didn't know where they were made. Garrett would be the way to go for sure.

Most people I know would always buy a product of comparable value made in USA over a foreign make. The Nokta aside from a switch and cosmetic changes almost is a copy of the Garrett AT. I bet Garrett is humbled. :)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John-E

I agree over buying American -made stuff, like the new Garrett Pro-PointerAT
but design has the switch/button is still on the side of the probe, half-way down..., in the mud
of your dug hole....
And I use small gopher-sized holes in parks, and dumbing-down the sensitivity
requires my hand in there too, to do the changes on my Garrett...but, the Nokta
Pointer has its buttons on the end, which would make things much more easy to change stuff,
and if I'm not mistaken, this probe will do all the things the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT does!
And at the same or better price, I'm getting a newest Nokta soon!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
John-E

I agree over buying American -made stuff, like the new Garrett Pro-PointerAT
but design has the switch/button is still on the side of the probe, half-way down..., in the mud
of your dug hole....
And I use small gopher-sized holes in parks, and dumbing-down the sensitivity
requires my hand in there too, to do the changes on my Garrett...but, the Nokta
Pointer has its buttons on the end, which would make things much more easy to change stuff,
and if I'm not mistaken, this probe will do all the things the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT does!
And at the same or better price, I'm getting a newest Nokta soon!

I saw that the switches were on the bottom. Having used many different types of electronic pin-pointers in the past 20 years, I find this design poorly thought out, as it would require a person to use 2 hands to utilize and make changes to those functions, forcing a person to set there metal detector on the ground or "mud" as in your scenario. The fact that 2 hands are needed are compounded further if using your Nokta in a river, as that current will want to sweep your metal detector away. Having the control on the middle aspect of the pin-pointer allows one handed operation only, allowing you to keep your grips on your metal detector.

But you may save a few dollars on the Nokta. You get what you pay for......

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have logged a half day on the non waterproof model but the switch setup is the same. I swapped my trusty TRX with a friend so I could see how well these new units worked. The much lower sensitivity was the first thing I noticed as a short coming. This is because I am very use to my TRX. The next thing was the button arrangement as mentioned above. It definitely requires a person to use two hands and also watch the buttons as changes are made. This is super inconvenient. With the TRX I just hit the button as necessary without any thought to accomplish the task. The recesses around the buttons also have a tendency to fill with dirt from my gloves which requires maintenance on occasion because the buttons stop working. I feel if you are a person that does not change sensitivity as you hunt and leave your pin pointer in the on position all the time, it may work satisfactory for you.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its long over due to rally "buy American made"
I own the Garrett and a TRX, the TRX already paid for itself using AA Batteries over 9V.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
And here's an air test of it

Air tests for "how deep will it go" have no credibility for usage, unless they are at perhaps at a couple of millimeters. If you need 3-4 inches of depth using a pin-pointer and consider that of any significant value, learn to pinpoint properly first and at the same time learn how deep your target actually is in combination with audio and depth read out. You should easily be able to locate a coin sized object within an inch, dig a small hole and use the electronic probe to precisely locate it.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i laugh at the thot of buying anything electronic from turkey.also just wait till one tries to get warranty work done....how long does customs take to clear boxes from the middle east?

for gosh sakes...buy american if you are an american..we need the jobs and know a bit about manufacturing...sheesh its called patriotism

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta ships any replacement parts needed quickly, they have already done so a couple times to fix issues posted on forums and there are negotiations to have a repair center in the states..

I'm seriously considering a Fors CoRe Pro....

Please keep politics out of it..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread