ATP first 100 hours

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett atpro manual recommends that you dig your first 100 targets to better understand the atp. I decided to dig everything for the first 100 hours so i could become proficient with the atp and provide a good review.So here are my thoughts at this point in my edcuation of the atp.

This is my second season Metal Detecting. I used a BountyHunter Discovery pro in my first season and found a lot of interesting finds. I have documented that experience on YOUTUBE. After the ground defrosted this season (Mid- March), I began using the ATP international. I used the atp for about 5 weeks (15 hunts) about 6 hours a hunt. Thats a lot of work. But if you enjoy Metal Detecting you know time clicks by extremely fast and six hours can feel like only a few hours.
What did I learn?
What did I find?
Is the ATP better than the BountyHunter?
Does the atp perform as well as all the fan-boys in US say it does? or have those Fanboys done a disservice to the Metal Detecting community by bumped the price for the ATP up? Lets find out...

You learn a lot in 100 hours.
Out here in Canada the ATP sells new for $750 before tax. You get a hat, a pointer/ headphones and the atp with the DD coil. I think that the atp is currently overpriced. Sure bundling it with other peripheral tools seems to make you think your getting a good deal but at the end of the day, the pointer is worth 120 bucks, hat is trivial and the ATP costs you 600 plus tax. I feel its about $200 dollars too expensive. If the same package was $500 I would feel like i didn’t get ripped off. How can I make that claim?? Keep reading... I started off my career in Metal Detecting with a $60 Metal Detector i purchased from Canadian tire called a BountyHunter. In my first season i collected over $120 in CLAD, 6 silver coins, 3 large cents 1800s, many trivial silver rings and a few gold rings, one of which is covered in diamonds. Now some pro detectorists may scoff at that, but its season one and its a $60 detector...its paid for itself and then some.

Transitioning from the BH to the atp was somewhat painful. Like any new thing, it can be frustrating to relearn anything. One step at a time.. well I thought because i had already spent an entire season Metal detecting that I could just jump into Pro mode and head out. That attitude ending up wrong and unfortunately that way of thinking was reinforced by my finding of three large cents from 1916 -1800s right off the start with the atp... I really thought i knew what I was doing...wrong!
After the great first finds it all went south from there. I started to dig twist-offs and pull-tabs at an alarming rate. So much more that I ever found with my BH. If fact in my next 20 hours I dug almost 100 twist-offs and pull-tabs and was just about to throw the atp off a cliff and return to my trusted BH. What was I doing wrong? Why did the atp suck so bad at finding coins? Well it wasn't the atp! I decided to just dig it all, so i began the daunting task of digging every signal the atp would show and even the signals it didn’t show very well... You don't get very far into your hunting location because you're overwhelmed by all the targets in the ground. It was exhausting, but very rewarding!

Lets get technical....
If you're in pro mode you had better know what you're doing or you will be missing a lot of good targets. You had better understand what makes a good signal and how it will appear to look and sound. So if you know all that you will not miss anything right? Your faster at seeing the correct TID than any processor on the motherboard right?. You can tell the funny levels that a nickel can give you right?. My point? Do not do what I did. I took this philosophy that I know better approach, and it ended up affecting my finds in a negative way. I did find coins in pro mode but i must have missed a lot more. Do not do this... when you first start off as the manual recommends put your atp right into coin mode. Not only will the atp itself teach you about target TID’s, you will discover a lot more coins and less garbage right off the start.

Pull-Tabs & Twist-offs
They sound so good. They are a bright target, their round in shape. They sound too good to be true, but like a moth to the flame, you will dig these till no end in pro mode, unless you know exactly what to look for. You will still dig a few in coin mode there is really no way around that. But in coin mode i found less twists & pulls and more coins than when i was using pro mode. Pull-tabs should be dug anyway if you want to find gold. Using the Iron audio feature can be helpful in determining a twist-off cap. Don’t run Iron audio all the time use it as a last test to see if the target is giving an iron grunt, then you know its likely a bottle-cap. In time pro mode could be more effective as i get more experience but for now even after 100 hours i will leave it up to the coin program to let me know untill i get way more experience.

atp pointer mode
The BH doesn't have a pointer mode. You just isolate and dig... this leads to spending a little more time on recovering your target. The atp’s pointer mode is a new feature for me. At first I wasn’t using it correctly. I didn’t realize there is a bar that will grow across the top of the screen once your coil is centered over the target. This feature is a must for any detector because its also useful to identify how big the object is...Coins are tiny targets and iron tends to be longer than a coin. So you're able to “feel” the shape of your target. No more pipes and flat metal...

Air testing & Targets in the ground
Air testing is a good way of learning but the TID numbers you will get in an Air test in NO WAY represent the actuals you would get in the field, here’s why. The coin in the ground needs about a year to set up, Then it will signal in a different way as compared to an Air test... Even take a coin out and burying it will not produce the same signal that a coin that has many years to set up in the ground would. Here is what I have noticed about coin targets in the ground, They tend to jump occasionally up into the 90s TID. 81 being a penny and a coin buried for a few years will not give you an exact 81 constantly like an air test would, the TID will jump about and pop-into the 90s a few times. It will seem inconsistent and the main identifier is that 90 spike from time to time. You will not get that 90 spike on an air test... But again using the coin program will get it right for you...How did i do it with the BH? How could i always know when it was a coin? I honestly just only dug SOLID high tones, solid in the way it was shaped and the consistency of the tone from all directions. The BH was very good at locating coins and I never found more than 3 zinc pennies in an entire season. I have about 15 already with my new atp...not to sure why...

Depth...
One of the salient points of Metal detecting is the depth your detector can reach. Depth produces older targets, not always, but generally. Here's why. Coins tend to sink over time, but the rate at which they sink is dependant on specific variables. What is the soil type? How long has the coin been in the ground? Is there tree canopy? etcetera. All these variables will produce a sinking rate for a coin in those conditions. So you might find a 100 year old coin only 2 down, but it was likely restricted from sinking because it had tree cover, or a stone under it. Rain the force that pushes coins (thumps) targets into the ground can really push a coins down over time. The other day in very soft soil and no tree canopy i found a 1998 dime just under 2 feet down... How did that newer coin sink so fast? Its the earth condition and the open canopy. I knew at that point i wasn’t going to find the 100 year old coins i was looking for and left the location. The sinking rate was just too high. So depth is important but the location sinking rate and conditions are also very important. Back to your detectors depth: Its one of the most important powers your detector needs. How did the atp stack versus the BH? Not really much difference... The BH found deep silver and I have seen the atp find deep silver, shrug...

Target separation
What does that mean? Target separation... Its the ability of a detector to hit or ping more than one target in a single sweep. This is really where i noticed a difference from BH. Although the BH has a very small coil, even smaller than the sniper coin its not great at making those separations. It will tend to bleed one target into the next, effectively creating one target out of 2 or 3 close together. The atp has mastered this as it will sound off on all targets rapidly. Why is understanding the separation important? If your detector is bleeding targets together you're going to be digging a lot more garbage, because a rusty nail and a bottle cap together will create a new target that sounds like ONE good target. You will be less effective with a detector that is Slow at target separation. The atp will hit on each target and you can then check one...then the other to know their not great targets and to move on.

All Terrain
The atp is submersible. This in itself make the atp special. There aren't that many detectors out there that can boast land and sea...So if you don't have the $2500 for the CTX3030, the atp is really your only option for water. BUT the BH has a waterproof coil, just the unit is not submersible. so for $60 bucks you can stick the coil in the water... I haven’t tested the atp in the water as of yet but i plan too.

Finds after 100 hours.. $25 in clad, 3 silvers, 3 large cents 1800s, iron cap gun 1920s, 2 lead toy soldiers 1920s, various interesting Relics or bits of iron... yawn, really not that impressive.

Rap-up
What words of wisdom do i have after 100 hours on the atp? I need to make this statement: The atp is basically a Bountyhunter with TID target identification, Target targeting, and all terrain. but at its core its maybe a step up from the BH. Thats going to upset a few fan-boys out there. I am not saying its a bad detector no its a great middle of the road detector for a short layover before you drop the $1000 plus for an etrac or a ctx. The atp is not some magical detector that is godly at finding treasure, far from it, and its dependent on your ability to learn the skill of metal detecting. In the end the best detector is between your boots and the hand grip, its yourself. The detector is just a tool we use to find treasure. If you're someone who just wants to try out the hobby, or would not put more than 50 hours in a season get your self a Bounthunter pro, you will be happy. If you're far more dedicated and want to get serious about metal detecting get your self an etrac, its far more expensive but you will miss that middle step that isn't required. If you can’t afford the Etrac and need the ability to go in the water your only option is the atp. But if you're not going in the water, and you don't have enough to buy Etrac, its really hard for me to recommend the atp at its current price.

:skullflag:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A well thought out review,however a couple of things come to mind.A dime at 2 feet?Dont think so.Prolly a typo.On to the gist of it.
It matters not what garrett or anyone else says about the learning curve,too many variables for that,soil matrix being a huge one.When you say that the atp is causing you to dig too many twist off caps I'm assuming you mean the ones that come on like 40 oz beers or sodas.What may be happening is two fold...atp is seeing more targets and you may not be yet able to hear the differances.atp is an excellent identifier of bottle caps and you should only occassionally be fooled.IN PRO MODE.
hunting in std mode coin setting is simply employing additional adio filtering and notching of common trash targets.nothing more.Pro mode is FAR superior in target seperation and audio target id.No comparison.pro mode_zero descrim_iron descrim set 30-40.....now add skill with machine and its a coin and jewelry killer.Comparing it to a dime store bounty hunter simply means there is a considerable amount of learning to be done yet.

atp is a very versatile mid priced machine usually compared to machines of higher cost.I think its priced quite fairly when compared to other machines I own or have owned.I liked my etrac but it never was the end all the hype would tend to imply.It,for me,was a very capable yet heavy and unbalanced machine that was priced at or above comparably performing machines with a more intense learning curve for most than an atp.

I prefered my explorer se to the etrac for my mountain soil conditions and steeper terrain.I really like my atp...its not the end all either but it can do an awful lot well.It has become my go to and now that I speak atp fluently I hunt confidently with it in many situations.My buddy's ctx is a great machine too.I hold my own with him even if he can hit a small bit deeper.The extra money and weight doesnt excite me or I might have one also.Props to ml for balancing the heavy ctx so much better than the etrac.

give your atp some more time and you may see it is worth far more than the 1/3 it costs compared to the machines comonly compared to it.

cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bigfoot1, some good points of view there.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not buying it. :spam4:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had my interest until the clad dime at 2 feet. Absolutely impossible with the AT or most any other machine ever built.

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fanboy trying to sell units. It was the yawn after all the finds that woke me up

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Responding the two feet clad dime.
It was well over a foot, less than two feet.. But dam near it. Check out the trash found. I have posted my finds on Youtube.
To make it more believable I should explain it was found in sodden ground. Very damp, probably had some halo and the near by 1800s nail contributed to the search.
The thing about that Dime. I spent about 10 mins finding it. It became a vendetta. I was going to find that target if it was the last thing I did that day. Most would have given up and rightly so .
Youtube name is: UpperCanada Hunter

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending over 300 hours with my AT Pro I must take exception to your comment that it is "at its core its maybe a step up from the BH"
I have been detecting for 35 years and have used dozens of detectors. Although I do not claim that the AT Pro is the "Best" unit, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the BH. Does the BH ground balance? Is the BH waterproof? Can you change frequencies on the BH? Any iron audio on the BH?
I also own an E Trac and a Fisher F75 LTD bot believe me there is no dust collecting on the AT Pro. I have dug dimes at 10"+ but a dime at 2' is just not believable to me.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You explained it all.
(This is my second season Metal Detecting.)

(If you're in pro mode you had better know what you're doing.)

(If you're far more dedicated and want to get serious about metal detecting get your self an etrac, its far more expensive but you will miss that middle step that isn't required.)

Right out of the gate 1st post plugging E-Trac. Spam!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo much wrong with that post. I won't even start.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, this review reads like it was written by someone with an agenda who is trying hard to conceal that they have an agenda.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The Garrett atpro manual recommends that you dig your first 100 targets to better understand the atp. I decided to dig everything for the first 100 hours so i could become proficient with the atp and provide a good review.So here are my thoughts at this point in my edcuation of the atp.

This is my second season Metal Detecting. I used a BountyHunter Discovery pro in my first season and found a lot of interesting finds. I have documented that experience on YOUTUBE. After the ground defrosted this season (Mid- March), I began using the ATP international. I used the atp for about 5 weeks (15 hunts) about 6 hours a hunt. Thats a lot of work. But if you enjoy Metal Detecting you know time clicks by extremely fast and six hours can feel like only a few hours.
What did I learn?
What did I find?
Is the ATP better than the BountyHunter?
Does the atp perform as well as all the fan-boys in US say it does? or have those Fanboys done a disservice to the Metal Detecting community by bumped the price for the ATP up? Lets find out...

You learn a lot in 100 hours.
Out here in Canada the ATP sells new for $750 before tax. You get a hat, a pointer/ headphones and the atp with the DD coil. I think that the atp is currently overpriced. Sure bundling it with other peripheral tools seems to make you think your getting a good deal but at the end of the day, the pointer is worth 120 bucks, hat is trivial and the ATP costs you 600 plus tax. I feel its about $200 dollars too expensive. If the same package was $500 I would feel like i didn’t get ripped off. How can I make that claim?? Keep reading... I started off my career in Metal Detecting with a $60 Metal Detector i purchased from Canadian tire called a BountyHunter. In my first season i collected over $120 in CLAD, 6 silver coins, 3 large cents 1800s, many trivial silver rings and a few gold rings, one of which is covered in diamonds. Now some pro detectorists may scoff at that, but its season one and its a $60 detector...its paid for itself and then some.

Transitioning from the BH to the atp was somewhat painful. Like any new thing, it can be frustrating to relearn anything. One step at a time.. well I thought because i had already spent an entire season Metal detecting that I could just jump into Pro mode and head out. That attitude ending up wrong and unfortunately that way of thinking was reinforced by my finding of three large cents from 1916 -1800s right off the start with the atp... I really thought i knew what I was doing...wrong!
After the great first finds it all went south from there. I started to dig twist-offs and pull-tabs at an alarming rate. So much more that I ever found with my BH. If fact in my next 20 hours I dug almost 100 twist-offs and pull-tabs and was just about to throw the atp off a cliff and return to my trusted BH. What was I doing wrong? Why did the atp suck so bad at finding coins? Well it wasn't the atp! I decided to just dig it all, so i began the daunting task of digging every signal the atp would show and even the signals it didn’t show very well... You don't get very far into your hunting location because you're overwhelmed by all the targets in the ground. It was exhausting, but very rewarding!

Lets get technical....
If you're in pro mode you had better know what you're doing or you will be missing a lot of good targets. You had better understand what makes a good signal and how it will appear to look and sound. So if you know all that you will not miss anything right? Your faster at seeing the correct TID than any processor on the motherboard right?. You can tell the funny levels that a nickel can give you right?. My point? Do not do what I did. I took this philosophy that I know better approach, and it ended up affecting my finds in a negative way. I did find coins in pro mode but i must have missed a lot more. Do not do this... when you first start off as the manual recommends put your atp right into coin mode. Not only will the atp itself teach you about target TID’s, you will discover a lot more coins and less garbage right off the start.

Pull-Tabs & Twist-offs
They sound so good. They are a bright target, their round in shape. They sound too good to be true, but like a moth to the flame, you will dig these till no end in pro mode, unless you know exactly what to look for. You will still dig a few in coin mode there is really no way around that. But in coin mode i found less twists & pulls and more coins than when i was using pro mode. Pull-tabs should be dug anyway if you want to find gold. Using the Iron audio feature can be helpful in determining a twist-off cap. Don’t run Iron audio all the time use it as a last test to see if the target is giving an iron grunt, then you know its likely a bottle-cap. In time pro mode could be more effective as i get more experience but for now even after 100 hours i will leave it up to the coin program to let me know untill i get way more experience.

atp pointer mode
The BH doesn't have a pointer mode. You just isolate and dig... this leads to spending a little more time on recovering your target. The atp’s pointer mode is a new feature for me. At first I wasn’t using it correctly. I didn’t realize there is a bar that will grow across the top of the screen once your coil is centered over the target. This feature is a must for any detector because its also useful to identify how big the object is...Coins are tiny targets and iron tends to be longer than a coin. So you're able to “feel” the shape of your target. No more pipes and flat metal...

Air testing & Targets in the ground
Air testing is a good way of learning but the TID numbers you will get in an Air test in NO WAY represent the actuals you would get in the field, here’s why. The coin in the ground needs about a year to set up, Then it will signal in a different way as compared to an Air test... Even take a coin out and burying it will not produce the same signal that a coin that has many years to set up in the ground would. Here is what I have noticed about coin targets in the ground, They tend to jump occasionally up into the 90s TID. 81 being a penny and a coin buried for a few years will not give you an exact 81 constantly like an air test would, the TID will jump about and pop-into the 90s a few times. It will seem inconsistent and the main identifier is that 90 spike from time to time. You will not get that 90 spike on an air test... But again using the coin program will get it right for you...How did i do it with the BH? How could i always know when it was a coin? I honestly just only dug SOLID high tones, solid in the way it was shaped and the consistency of the tone from all directions. The BH was very good at locating coins and I never found more than 3 zinc pennies in an entire season. I have about 15 already with my new atp...not to sure why...

Depth...
One of the salient points of Metal detecting is the depth your detector can reach. Depth produces older targets, not always, but generally. Here's why. Coins tend to sink over time, but the rate at which they sink is dependant on specific variables. What is the soil type? How long has the coin been in the ground? Is there tree canopy? etcetera. All these variables will produce a sinking rate for a coin in those conditions. So you might find a 100 year old coin only 2 down, but it was likely restricted from sinking because it had tree cover, or a stone under it. Rain the force that pushes coins (thumps) targets into the ground can really push a coins down over time. The other day in very soft soil and no tree canopy i found a 1998 dime just under 2 feet down... How did that newer coin sink so fast? Its the earth condition and the open canopy. I knew at that point i wasn’t going to find the 100 year old coins i was looking for and left the location. The sinking rate was just too high. So depth is important but the location sinking rate and conditions are also very important. Back to your detectors depth: Its one of the most important powers your detector needs. How did the atp stack versus the BH? Not really much difference... The BH found deep silver and I have seen the atp find deep silver, shrug...

Target separation
What does that mean? Target separation... Its the ability of a detector to hit or ping more than one target in a single sweep. This is really where i noticed a difference from BH. Although the BH has a very small coil, even smaller than the sniper coin its not great at making those separations. It will tend to bleed one target into the next, effectively creating one target out of 2 or 3 close together. The atp has mastered this as it will sound off on all targets rapidly. Why is understanding the separation important? If your detector is bleeding targets together you're going to be digging a lot more garbage, because a rusty nail and a bottle cap together will create a new target that sounds like ONE good target. You will be less effective with a detector that is Slow at target separation. The atp will hit on each target and you can then check one...then the other to know their not great targets and to move on.

All Terrain
The atp is submersible. This in itself make the atp special. There aren't that many detectors out there that can boast land and sea...So if you don't have the $2500 for the CTX3030, the atp is really your only option for water. BUT the BH has a waterproof coil, just the unit is not submersible. so for $60 bucks you can stick the coil in the water... I haven’t tested the atp in the water as of yet but i plan too.

Finds after 100 hours.. $25 in clad, 3 silvers, 3 large cents 1800s, iron cap gun 1920s, 2 lead toy soldiers 1920s, various interesting Relics or bits of iron... yawn, really not that impressive.

Rap-up
What words of wisdom do i have after 100 hours on the atp? I need to make this statement: The atp is basically a Bountyhunter with TID target identification, Target targeting, and all terrain. but at its core its maybe a step up from the BH. Thats going to upset a few fan-boys out there. I am not saying its a bad detector no its a great middle of the road detector for a short layover before you drop the $1000 plus for an etrac or a ctx. The atp is not some magical detector that is godly at finding treasure, far from it, and its dependent on your ability to learn the skill of metal detecting. In the end the best detector is between your boots and the hand grip, its yourself. The detector is just a tool we use to find treasure. If you're someone who just wants to try out the hobby, or would not put more than 50 hours in a season get your self a Bounthunter pro, you will be happy. If you're far more dedicated and want to get serious about metal detecting get your self an etrac, its far more expensive but you will miss that middle step that isn't required. If you can’t afford the Etrac and need the ability to go in the water your only option is the atp. But if you're not going in the water, and you don't have enough to buy Etrac, its really hard for me to recommend the atp at its current price.

:skullflag:

Due to the amateur nature of the final user base, the vast majority of the major manufacturers have been conditioned to churn out mostly extremely high margin, purposely under inovated, underdeveloped, under built overpriced garbage.
These cheaply made metal detectors have made the manufacturers extremely rich, and still support a huge retail network. (not to mention the seperate huge repair and modification industry)

This is not the best place to post an actual review.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well there is no hidden agenda. I wanted to gave a balanced review. I did say the atp is a good middle of the road detector. But i just haven't felt that much of a step -up in terms efficacy from the BH. Thats my current position and you'er correct 2nd season, I am very green. I am in not plugging the etrac. I go out hunting a lot with two other guys (who also have atp's) but THEIR always using their etrac's and at the end of the day we compare finds. The etrac finds almost 3 times as much coins consistently... Just saying guys.

I do say very clearly that the best detector is you... I am in now way plugging anything.

Another thing to point out how could any of you judge. You don't know my conditions in my area. The solid type, Canadian coinage...

I knew there was going to be Fan-boys here. So i will stand my ground. There must be some balance and i think the balance is too far over to the atp. Is a good detector but it think it should be cheaper.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
well there is no hidden agenda. I wanted to gave a balanced review. I did say the atp is a good middle of the road detector. But i just haven't felt that much of a step -up in terms efficacy from the BH. Thats my current position and you'er correct 2nd season, I am very green. I am in not plugging the etrac. I go out hunting a lot with two other guys (who also have atp's) but THEIR always using their etrac's and at the end of the day we compare finds. The etrac finds almost 3 times as much coins consistently... Just saying guys.

I do say very clearly that the best detector is you... I am in now way plugging anything.

Another thing to point out how could any of you judge. You don't know my conditions in my area. The solid type, Canadian coinage...

I knew there was going to be Fan-boys here. So i will stand my ground. There must be some balance and i think the balance is too far over to the atp. Is a good detector but it think it should be cheaper.

You have to understand, that though your review is one of the most well thought out, well written, and sincere ever posted here pertaining to the AT Pro in particular, you gave a less then neutral rating.

Your review is representative of many many others that have not been expressed .

Your rating is sincere and well researched. There is enough hype in this industry. (Find more treasure then you've ever dreamed of)

Its evident you are well mannered, respectable and don't want to be controversial. In this case you need to get over that. In this particular case, there is absolutely no need at all to be "politically correct".

After 100 hours on that particular machine, you're really not going to get any "better"

It takes roughly 50 hours of practical experience to get a pilots license. A PILOTS license.

It's not a McDonnell Douglas MD-11.

It's a cheaply made overpriced, overhyped metal detector.
The only benefit garnered from your review will be by those that have not purchased one yet.

The people that stand to benefit from your experience tend to not post here very much at all.

Thanks for your time and your sincere input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to understand, that though your review is one of the most well thought out, well written, and sincere ever posted here pertaining to the AT Pro in particular, you gave a less then neutral rating.

Your review is representative of many many others that have not been expressed .

Your rating is sincere and well researched. There is enough hype in this industry. (Find more treasure then you've ever dreamed of)

Its evident you are well mannered, respectable and don't want to be controversial. In this case you need to get over that There is absolutely no need at all to be "politically correct".

After 100 hours on that particular machine, you're really not going to get any "better"
it takes roughly 50 hours of practical experience to get a pilots license. A PILOTS license.

It's not a McDonnell Douglas MD-11.

It's a cheaply made overpriced overhyped metal detector.
The only benefit garnered from your review will be by those that have not purchased one yet.
The people that stand to benefit from your experience tend to not post here very much at all.

Thanks for your time and your sincere input.

Thanks for you support el padron!!

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The solution is a simple one for the op. And that is to buy an Etrac or sell his AT and stay with Bounty Hunter. No shame with either choice.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess some need more than a hundred hours to learn the machine. The pro is a great detector and one of the reasons I bought the at gold also. I find lots of coins and the gold loves large and half cents. I've found a few in the past few months.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess some need more than a hundred hours to learn the machine. The pro is a great detector and one of the reasons I bought the at gold also. I find lots of coins and the gold loves large and half cents. I've found a few in the past few months.

No no, you'd do just as well with a $60 Bounty Hunter.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I've had a cheaper bh and it was good at finding lost arrows that missed target but never found one coin on my property and I detected it a couple of times. The pro found a barber within the first week and 5 silver coins and many Indian heads. Plus clad and some wheats. I'll keep my junk at series detectors lol. I've had the pro for 2 years and the gold for 5 months and won't look back. Take the time to learn it and it will reward you. Go ahead get an etrac and you won't figure it out either. Might as well stick with what works for you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread