Cleaning up a coin

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the AT Pro to an old river crossing yesterday and found a couple of wheats. One was a 1940 and the other was a'42(I think) What is the best way to clean coins that have been in a river? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429504854.978933.jpg
I soaked them in olive oil overnight, scrubbed with brush, and finally scratched on them with a toothpick enough to read the date. I've got the other one hooked up to electrolysis to see if that might work.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have ruined several coins by trying to clean them by a few various methods. Believe me, the only safe way to clean a coin is with soapy water and a soft bristle toothbrush. Sometimes you'll find coins in great condition and at other times in horrible condition. Nothing you can really do about it. That's just a fact of detecting.

But if you are willing to take a chance and possibly ruin the coin more by other cleaning methods, it's your coin/find so don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Just don't let the temptation get the best of you.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the coins are wheats from 40 and 42 then you have nothing to lose really. Especially in that condition. I personally do not clean my coins I find. I prefer the dug look, but there is always the exception when its a badly corroded coin where a little HP bath will help it out a little but if it is possibly a rare coin....then step back and consider your options. A few common wheats may just be good candidates for you to try some cleaning on, if nothing else, to see if it is something you will want to do on future coins as well as some experience to gain through your efforts.

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the electrolysis worked really well in addition to alot of scrubbing. I did the two pennies then a nickel (1970) and the nickel turned a copper color. Lol, did I just figure out how to copper plate things?? I didn't have them going at the same time so I have no idea how it happened.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Chad1972, try soaking them in vinegar for a period of time. Some stores have a higher acidic cleaner type of Vinegar. Vinegar is great at high mineral and hard water break up. Vinegar is also used to clean brass cases for reloading and such, but use caution on delicate items as it is a acidic solution. I just recently cleaned up a 1854 seated liberty quarter that was coat mineralized, using vinegar. Good luck!!
PS: Hard cleaners such as limeaway, and toilet bowl cleaners and such can dissolve the copper and some brass mixtures back into the solution. So be very careful if you use these. Vinegar has just enough edge to it to clean up without eating away the copper. Stay Gold!! Opie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tooth pick is the safest way but river grunge can be tough. I took an Indian Head from a creek and it was crusted beyond I thought help. I tooth picked it to no avail. I eventually put it in hydrogen peroxide in a small glass over my reading lamp. Yeah I know safe right? Anyways as I watched tv I watched it work. The coin came clean and was readable. It had great detail but...... it turned it blackish. It was toast and now is a recognisable relic for my collection but has no value.So it is a trade off if tooth pick fails then olive oil.
I think a coin so far gone is fair game to new tactics.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used toothpaste and toothbrush on mine yesterday. It did take much of the rust off of modern pennies, dimes, and nickels, but not all of it.

I might try steel wool next.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used toothpaste and toothbrush on mine yesterday. It did take much of the rust off of modern pennies, dimes, and nickels, but not all of it.

I might try steel wool next.

It's obvious you're not a collector so why all the harsh cleaning? Why not just rinse them then take them to the bank?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread