Ace 350 question

rustyshovel

Greenie
Apr 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the owner of a new Garrett Ace 350 and while trying it out yesterday in a older public park I set it to coins and sensitivity was set in the middle. I was getting tons of bell sounding tones and read on the higher side of the meter but every one of them said 8+ inches on the depth meter, would that be a common depth? Even at a beach we went to , most of the targets were 8+ inches.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig any of the targets? If it's repeatable dig it. I had a 350 a few years back and it was a good detector and found me some silver and old coppers. It may be some falsing from all the trash also. Just gonna have to dig and learn. From what I remember if it's repeatable dig it. Good luck

rockhounder

Apr 23, 2015
olympia
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Ace 350 and its new to me I have only run a few sets of batteries thru it. A couple of things i have noticed. It can read 8 inches deep and the coin will actually be right on top of grass or just barely under the surface. In really trashy areas sometimes you got to dial it down a notch or two more then you want to but it helps with all that beeping. And it could be chunks of metal or pop cans stuff like that and yes it would pick it up 8 inches down with ease.
Another thing is i took my gold wedding band and the Ace 350 will not pick it up in coins mode. You have to use at least jewelry mode to pick up gold. And check out nickles sometimes it wants to pick them up a few notches down from what it says. I took all the coins out and set them on the ground including my gold ring and it really helped me to understand the tones and options. I ended up using custom mode to really dial in what i am searching for. One last thing is the newer zinc pennies dont really read right it bounces all around but the tone is steady.
My best advice is dig everything that is what i am doing until i learn a lot more.
good look searching and you got a great machine

OP
OP
R

rustyshovel

Greenie
Apr 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I went back to the same park and yes it's just like anything else that's new...practice, practice, practice. I ran it in coin mode only because when it was in zero mode the beeps were overwhelming, it's a 1950's/60's park with an old shallow man made swimming hole so I'm sure theres a lot of junk from fill dirt but I thought for sure there would be coins from all of the kids/families that were there for swimming over the years. Weird though, I found a bunch of old nails and a big bolt nut while in coin mode that read dime/quarter. It's all good though, my daughter and I had a blast even if it was only for an hour. I did buy a Garrett pinpointer yesterday and that made things better in every way!

OP
OP
R

rustyshovel

Greenie
Apr 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dug everything. Like I said in my other reply, while in coin mode all I was getting was old nails, a big nut and some foil and aluminum pieces all read in the higher area of the scale. I thought it would be able to tell it was iron.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the owner of a new Garrett Ace 350 and while trying it out yesterday in a older public park I set it to coins and sensitivity was set in the middle. I was getting tons of bell sounding tones and read on the higher side of the meter but every one of them said 8+ inches on the depth meter, would that be a common depth? Even at a beach we went to , most of the targets were 8+ inches.

I had the same issue happen yesterday. I was MD along an old stone wall and was set on Coin mode. Every now and then I would get a hit that was sort-of reproducible but not perfect. It turned out that some old, rusty barbed wire was buried and was causing the odd behavior. I stopped digging those hits when the iron was showing on the display.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try lifting the coil as you go over the target if it breaks up it is probably junk. If the target tone and Numbers stay the same should be good. The junk when close by tends to over well Disc, but as you lift the coil the signal weekend and will cause junk to break up better. Good luck

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that might help is looking at the iron end when you get hits in coin mode. Note if the iron indicators are lighting up. For me that means small rusty wire or nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread