Is the AT Pro Junk?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this test in open holes deeper than that with both pro and gold detectors and hit hard. Only time I had trouble is when I put the coins in iron infested ground below nails. It was harder to pick them out but I did. I have good luck with mine but I have a lot of hours on them. I have a test garden also and it's almost 2 years old and no problem picking up targets. I have a nail and a nickel buried together and the gold picks the nickel out every time the pro not as well but gets it. I don't know what is going on with your test but the pro and gold are not junk. Let us know if you figure it out.

Last edited:

MD-Mainiac

Jun 16, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found coins at 10+ inches (quarters and nickels) dimes a 8+ inches... most of these finds have been on a beach in wet and dry sand (brackish water). I have had no problems with the AT Pro.
It is a superior machine.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
"I'd say the coins were about 4-6" deep,..."

Lots of times when we try to eyeball things looks can be deceiving. In order to get accurate results you need to measure and have an accurate test. My ATP has trouble hitting on a freshly buried quarter in my front yard and 7" while in some other areas it will hit on one up to around 8 , so the soil type and conditions play a big part in depth ability.....also if there is any other metal in that same patch of dirt it will effectively "mask out" your coin at depth. Coins that have been buried for a long while are very different , depending on the location mine has hit on long buried quarters from 8" on up to 10+....in one particular location on one particular site mine hit on two seperate quarters at 12 ".....but thats extremely rare and even hard for me to believe if I hadnt seen it myself. The deeper coins are the more potential for target masking. And generally ( though not always ) , the longer they have been in the ground the deeper they can be detected , assuming favorable conditions.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday, my buddy and I, tried the same AT's at different locations. I buried a penny, nickle, and dime. I seemed to have no issues, and him either. So I went back to the location where this all started and had the same results. I know there's nothing metal in the ground because I went through most of the yard with no hits from anything. So the only thing I can think of is the electrical lines that are 100 ft away, or maybe electric is following the ground wire, down the pole, and maybe effecting the dirt and surrounding areas?

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does your air test show? Mine wont air test a quarter over 6 inches. I think my pro has a problem just havent had time to send her in. She should still be under warranty. Anyone else air test them and results? Mine air tests a dime to 7 inches and a quarter to 6. I just feel like somethings wrong.

at pro both coils, makro racer, and detectnix pinpointer.

MD-Mainiac

Jun 16, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have something wrong with your MD.

Sunday, yesterday, at a Salt water beach.. dry sand part... pennies at 7-8 inches, nickels a 8+ inches, dimes at 10+ inches.
Later in the day, at a home site next to a river (sandy soil) 10k gold ring at 6+ inches, copper pennies at 8+ inches.. nickel at 6+ inches...

I switch between std and pro mode before every dig, to determine if I am getting a bottle cap or a coin.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
"I'm afraid to learn pro on an actual site. I don't want to miss any targets,"

Then dig ALL targets. What is your other machine that you know well??
My opinion is that you just don't understand the pro side of this machine and that you are used to a machine screaming at you that there is something good under the coil.

In the pro mode, a 10" dime is going to make hardly even a whisper. Try gettin it to "bong" over a target in standard mode, then switch to pro mode and swing over it again. You'll get it...

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started in pro mode, learned and stayed in pro mode. It was just easier for me. Didn't want to learn it twice. This is my second detecter so I had a little experience. I think that helps

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I started in pro mode, learned and stayed in pro mode. It was just easier for me. Didn't want to learn it twice. This is my second detecter so I had a little experience. I think that helps

Most of its buyer's have used it twice and then hung it in their garage. They achieved their goal after finding their first zinc penney. (Many haven't done even that.....)

The industry wide value that is presented in the most popular machines is amongst the lowest of every existing category of modern consumer electronics.

To add insult to injury the present circumstance also intentionally supplies a huge "repair and modification" secondary industry / market.
Its a reasonable value at about $125 new. They cost about $25 apiece to produce, possibly much less. It contains 15 year old technology that is available for pennies at the wholesale component level.

Its built out of the cheapest possible materials available that will still stay together if handled with extreme care.

Most of the threads that would have informed you of sincere user sentiment have been deleted.
See: "Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?" while you still can.

Its an industry wide problem, that is only just beginning to be addressed.

Last edited:

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not junk at all. This is just the good stuff. Have had mine for about 3 years

photo (6).JPG photo (8).JPG

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if my problem was indeed electrical interference from the power lines, isn't the changing of frequencies supposed to fix that?

MD-Mainiac

Jun 16, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not necessarily. Depends on how strong the EMI field is. Have you tried these tests somewhere else?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if my problem was indeed electrical interference from the power lines, isn't the changing of frequencies supposed to fix that?

I have never been able to change frequencies and have it solve any EMI or electrical interference problems with mine. There are some places I just can't hunt with the Pro. My other detector works just fine in these spots. I have a school I hunt that I can tell when the security system is armed or not. Crazy stuff.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our main goal was to learn the pro method. I'm afraid to learn pro on an actual site. I don't want to miss any targets, but if you think it's the freshly planted coins causing the issue, then I will go with that. It was just odd how a open hole would not pick up the coin, but it picked up the coin when we laid it on top of the ground.

Well, you either dig it all or you miss targets. But without a doubt, I think you miss more targets if you are not using pro mode.

gselestow

Greenie
Jul 8, 2014
Were you notched or discriminated out on some targets. Maybe by accident?
Try holding the power button until it beeps twice then bump your frequency up one or two clicks so they are different from each other. I had an issue where my pin pointer was messing with mine. Once I changed the freq. all was good.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frequency shift is small and won't help in bad EMI. It does help in some EMI though and is used when you are hunting close to other detectors to cut down on interfering with each other.

May 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro zero, no discrimination, listen to the tones, and it pays off. Got to love the AT Pro for being able to hunt a field all day, than hop in the creek and hunt it too.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way is the AT Pro junk.
It has 1000's of owners around the world that swear by it and it is a beloved detector in the detecting community.
Hmm, time to sell my other detectors that are collecting dust since they don't get picked up any more.
More then likely your doing something wrong with settings.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I did start to hunt in the pro mode. I hear a lot of tones going off, all the time while hunting. I figured out it must be the louder tone that tells of a definite good target?

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In general, louder means shallower. If the ground is trashy, the AT is talkative. It takes time to learn its language fully (50+ hours), just like any detector. You can reduce your sensitivity to lessen the sounds, but it's better to listen and learn. You're looking for clear, repeatable signals. Once you've learned what different targets sound like, you'll be able to ignore a lot of trashy targets with ease. If you are going to hunt very trashy sites (like old homesteads, etc.), investing in the 5x8 DD coil is a very good move. Its target separation is incredible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions