The next Garrett machine?

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what is next for Garrett. I think the GTI 2500 is long in the tooth and needs to be replaced with something lighter and waterproof like the AT series of machines. I mean who is buying GTI 2500's anymore? Also does the AT pro really need the standard mode and what amateur detectorists who starts with an AT pro uses and stays in the standard mode after a few outings with the AT? I feel as though anyone with an AT machine needs to start and stay in pro mode. I think Garrett underestimates the ability for someone to start off and stay in pro mode. The standard mode should only be available in the ace series. That brings me back to the 2500, it is supposed to be Garretts top of the line and it is standard mode audio only. I am not knocking Garrett but I think the time was yesterday when Garrett should of made a coin/relic machine that is a "pro" machine only.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Garrett is still selling a lot of the GTI2500....... And the GTI 1500 it is almost impossible to find since Garrett quit making the 1500 .. The one's that have the 1500 are not selling them.. For those GTI detectors are a good machine ,,

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GTI 2500 with the new 8.5 X 11 DD search coil hits some pretty deep targets:hello2: , also knowing the size of a target before you dig it is great saves me from digging a lot of pop cans and can lids that look like good targets to other detectors , I have the Treasure talk model really works great in low light situations , in all metal mode this unit goes very deep , deeper than the AT models when using the same coil ,you can also hunt in 8 different frequencies, it could use some updating , make it lighter and water proof and run at a higher frequency , it has automatic and manual ground balance , a two box coil this machine does a lot , no other unit on the market today does what the GTI actually can , I find a lot of everything with it , a lot of guys just leave it in coin mode and then ***** about depth you have to experiment with the GTI !!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think Garrett feels the need to make anything new at this point....just goggle "best selling metal detectors 2015" or anything similar. You will get many "top ten" lists. and the AT pro and the Ace machines will be on all of them. The ATX will be on all the PI lists also. So until Garretts not "making" the lists, i dont believe we will see much from them.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I wonder what is next for Garrett. I think the GTI 2500 is long in the tooth and needs to be replaced with something lighter and waterproof like the AT series of machines. I mean who is buying GTI 2500's anymore? Also does the AT pro really need the standard mode and what amateur detectorists who starts with an AT pro uses and stays in the standard mode after a few outings with the AT? I feel as though anyone with an AT machine needs to start and stay in pro mode. I think Garrett underestimates the ability for someone to start off and stay in pro mode. The standard mode should only be available in the ace series. That brings me back to the 2500, it is supposed to be Garretts top of the line and it is standard mode audio only. I am not knocking Garrett but I think the time was yesterday when Garrett should of made a coin/relic machine that is a "pro" machine only.

I doubt they will replace it anytime soon. The true all metal mode gets great depth. The imaging works, but does have limitations. It's the only detector available to attach the two-box coil.

searchcoil_gti2500.jpg

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see a refresh of the GTI 2500. Make it lighter, clean up the user interface, streamline the casing and arm cuff, add the AT "tone roll" audio and iron audio features. Give it Bluetooth for wireless headphones. Keep everything else the same.

That's a winner in my book.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see a waterproof multi freq detector

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

freflite

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2011
Jonesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett 2 Box Unit

I doubt they will replace it anytime soon. The true all metal mode gets great depth. The imaging works, but does have limitations. It's the only detector available to attach the two-box coil.

View attachment 1217271

It is NOT the only Garrett detector you can attach a 2 box unit to. I have a 2 box unit designed for the Garrett CX3 and it works fine.

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White TDI PRO actually goes deeper in wet beach sand on a nickel than the Garrett ATX does and it costs less , my Whites TDI goes extremely deeeeeeeeeep ! Garrett should really update the 2500 run it at a higher and adjustable frequency like they do now mine can hunt between 1k-8k in 1k jumps , and you can nugget shoot with it , it does not have to be a high frequency machine my GTI 2500 hit placer gold that my Minetrash Eureka Gold would not hit at any setting ! The GTI is pretty narly just a little heavy !!!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White TDI PRO actually goes deeper in wet beach sand on a nickel than the Garrett ATX does and it costs less , my Whites TDI goes extremely deeeeeeeeeep ! Garrett should really update the 2500 run it at a higher and adjustable frequency like they do now mine can hunt between 1k-8k in 1k jumps , and you can nugget shoot with it , it does not have to be a high frequency machine my GTI 2500 hit placer gold that my Minetrash Eureka Gold would not hit at any setting ! The GTI is pretty narly just a little heavy !!!

ROFLMAO

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see a new ATP that you could run on a low or high frequency at the push of a button, a true all-metal like the Gold has, an adjustable tone-break, a backlight and the ability to use standard headphones......I would be happy!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It is NOT the only Garrett detector you can attach a 2 box unit to. I have a 2 box unit designed for the Garrett CX3 and it works fine.

The GTI is the only metal detector that you can still buy that attaches to the 2 box set up.

Last edited:

I DIG

Mar 17, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about getting one for my GTI 2500

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got my 2500 back from repair. $40 for the basic service.

They cleaned connections and behind buttons that were working incorrectly on the faceplate.

Everything (including horseshoe's to gas caps, was ringing with a bell tone) They said it was just dirty.

So, I'm anxious to get it back out. It's supposed to be working back at factory specs.

My only issue- WIRELESS HEADPHONES.

I'm using some, but they don't work as well as I would like. Could they (Garrett) do a modification for a wireless board inside the control box? There is a lot of left over room in there....

Headphone cords suck.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mr. GIB.
I also have the GTI-2500, but have not used it enough for the cord to bother me. (That's probably coming..?)

Anyway, your comment got me to thinking:
How about using a wireless Bluetooth transmitter?
You could just plug it into the 2500's headphone jack, and then use whatever Bluetooth headphones you prefer.

This one claims 10-hour runtime on a 2-hour charge. And works up to 30-feet.
iClever® IC-BTT01 Wireless Bluetooth Transmitter | iClever Official Website

There might be better options out there (I did not search extensively.)
This one will require a 3.5mm Female to RCA 1/4-inch Male adapter, but those are fairly easy to come by (Radio Shack, Walmart even?)
And maybe some double-stick tape or Velcro to attach it to the GTI-2500.

For $25, I might pick one up and try it out. If it works, I'll let you know here.
Maybe someone else here has already done something like this?

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mr. GIB.
I also have the GTI-2500, but have not used it enough for the cord to bother me. (That's probably coming..?)

Anyway, your comment got me to thinking:
How about using a wireless Bluetooth transmitter?
You could just plug it into the 2500's headphone jack, and then use whatever Bluetooth headphones you prefer.

This one claims 10-hour runtime on a 2-hour charge. And works up to 30-feet.
iClever® IC-BTT01 Wireless Bluetooth Transmitter | iClever Official Website

There might be better options out there (I did not search extensively.)
This one will require a 3.5mm Female to RCA 1/4-inch Male adapter, but those are fairly easy to come by (Radio Shack, Walmart even?)
And maybe some double-stick tape or Velcro to attach it to the GTI-2500.

For $25, I might pick one up and try it out. If it works, I'll let you know here.
Maybe someone else here has already done something like this?
I've been researching the snit out of this and what I've found is that Bluetooth has a latency issue such that targeting could be off by a number of inches depending on the swing speed and the Bluetooth hardware. They make some low latency headphones and transmitters, but I stopped looking at them when I read about some better options. Right now I'm about 3 days from a FM wireless setup and I should know more then. The FM has no latency issues I've heard of. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been researching the snit out of this and what I've found is that Bluetooth has a latency issue such that targeting could be off by a number of inches depending on the swing speed and the Bluetooth hardware. They make some low latency headphones and transmitters, but I stopped looking at them when I read about some better options. Right now I'm about 3 days from a FM wireless setup and I should know more then. The FM has no latency issues I've heard of. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Well, that experiment didn't work. While some folks have had some success, FM components choices can be pretty important. Unless you're prepared to spend a bit more and live in an area that's not saturated w/ existing FM radio (like Australia) you will probably be disappointed. I was getting a lot of static, inconsistent reception, FM radio interference, and poor sound quality.

Did some more research and found a Bluetooth configuration that is designed for low latency and didn't cost an arm and leg. There are tradeoffs, but those with similar setups have had good results. I should know how mine works by this weekend.

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta tell you, I had high hopes for the FM configuration so 15 minutes after UPS drove off I was in the back yard, and 5 minutes after that I struck gold. Unfortunately, the gold was from the 60's, more specifically a golden oldie by the Four Seasons that was bleeding through from some over/under modulated FM station in the area. While I like 'Under My Skin', it did make the whole metal detecting experience very unproductive.

Shipped them back to Amazon and ordered a low latency transmitter and ear buds, also low latency from Amazon. The signal is clean, the sound accurate, and the lag or delay is zero or near enough that it's irrelevant in real world practice. To test the set up, I simply plugged it into my computer and I could assess any latency with mouse click and corresponding sound. It was dead on.

Amazon links
http://www.amazon.com/Coredy-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Transform-Non-Bluetooth/dp/B00TB3ULOW
http://www.amazon.com/Acode-Bluetoo...=UTF8&qid=1444524933&sr=1-1&keywords=acode+s1

cord.jpg
cc3d18ebc0b955444b219c0ae692bc4f.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread