blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so here is my problem. I hunted a very old pasture field a map shows a house there in 1840 but for some reason my at pro goes nuts with false signals.

There is a electric fence but its at least 50-60 yards away maybe further. When I hold the at pro in the air it beeps and has random numbers. I went through all the frequencys.

I can use it a little but I have to turn the sensitivity to 5 out of 8 to use it. If I have it at 6 or higher when I'm sweeping it will beep once every 3 seconds in a spot and then when I go over that spot again it wont make a sound.

Again it's only this spot seems very weird. Any ideas.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Batteries? If the electric is far away then it would have to be a machine issue and batteries is what I would try first then make sure all connections are secure

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try new batteries and see of that helps. And I made sure the connections are tight and ground balanced correctly.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
your getting emf feed off the fence ....the energy bleed off from the electric fence ...is affecting your "electrical field" generated by the coil of your machine that it uses to find metal objects .. the stray energy causes your machine to false ...the only cure is to back off on your sensitivity (power output)level so that your machine will no longer "pick up" the stray energy discharges ....by lowering the sensitivity level you "blind" the machine to the effects ...the same goes for "hot rock / high mineral content soil areas --like a saltwater beach area..where the ground can only accept so much signal -- often you have to "balance " the amount of signal your machines outputting to how much the mineral conditions of the soil will accept -- aka as being "ground balanced"...trying to "over push" more signal into the ground than what the ground can take in properly will cause falsing and will hurt rather than help --many folks in a attempt to "go deeper" tend to try to push max signal ...

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan nailed it. It's EMI pure and simple.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A lesser interference in your case but still significant compared to an area of old park and history that gave me fits till I noticed the powerlines related to the energy producing dam.:offtheair: (Blush)
Reduced sensitivity way down on the 350 and it was still a challenge.
After trying with reduced sens, on your site maybe check it again when fairly dry conditions exist to experiment.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes the plug is loose on the box...it maybe threaded all the way up but the wires sometime tend to get loose...it it happens alot call Garret theyll send u a new coiil...if not its just EMI like the fellas said previously!

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
EMI does strange things to these machines. I had the same issue a week ago on my AT Gold detecting around some power boxes. Dropped the sensitivity way down and was able to detect up to around 3 feet from the boxes until all the falsing drove me away. Also have had issues with people using power tools too close to me while detecting. A friend was using a circular saw in a building that was 50 yards away from me and I could still hear feedback through my headphones. Frequency/sensitivity changes didn't help at all so I just waited for him to finish. Just pay attention to your surroundings and realize EMI does have an adverse effect on your machine at times. Good luck and happy hunting! :thumbsup:

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely EMI! Same thing happened to me once and it did happened in one location only which had an electrical fence.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one time it was a ham radio antenna I haddent noticed.the next time it was a cell tower nearby,disguised as a tree.underground power lines can be rough too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions