QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to not be able to get a stable freq, in some conditions?

I was in my backyard and can't seem to get a stable hum. I do have 2 power cables running about 30 feet overhead one going to my house the other to the neighbours and I have a buried conduit of power going out to my shed the length of the yard.

I can get a bit of a steady hum but then you get like a blip. Here is what I am doing, turn on to Lock, coil is on the ground, then I put it in freq, adjust and move the disc a bit at a time, pausing, adjust a bit more until the end but I never can find a spot where i can get a steady hum for more than 5 secs without a waver.

Any suggestions?

mdhammer

Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't it be on slow or fast first and then lock after you ground balance? That's what the manual suggests. I'm just a beginner with this machine though, and had a hard time hearing much at the beach with the stock headphones. The targets came in loud and clear however.... Just the ground balancing was tricky even with the headphones on full blast because of the surf.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your referring to the method of ground balancing but if you have electrical interference or other detectors interfering you first must adjust frequency, then any ground balancing but I'm new to this detector so I may be wrong. The learning videos frpm Garrett always shows putting the unit in lock when first turned on, then adjust freq. if necessary. This is with the 14" mono, when I tried it the very first time it had the 14" DD and I did manage to get it more stable. I only have about 2 hours, if that on the machine, so just learning.

Thanks for your comment.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I had to 'settle' on the quietest one available.

Sometimes you will have to suffer with the chatter, particularly near power lines.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to 'settle' on the quietest one available.

Sometimes you will have to suffer with the chatter, particularly near power lines.

Thanks so its not just my inexperience then, even my Fisher has issues in this yard. Just checking to make sure I was setting it correctly.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I can't run my Infinium or ATX in my backyard. There is just too much EMI lurking around the house......cable, power lines, cell phones, underground wires etc.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you John.