Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

I have been metal detecting for about a year now and started out with a Bounty Hunter Lone Star. I knew this was an entry level detector when I purchased it, but quickly felt like I outgrew the ability of it and became frustrated. Well, I had been dropping subtle hints to my wife about wanting a new detector and she agreed after I persistently complained :dontknow: about the BH. I was reviewing several different one, the Garret ATP, White's MX Sport SE, and one other, I cannot recall. I live near rivers and streams so I wanted a water proof detector. After agonizing research, video reviews, and hours on Youtube, I decided on the ATP which is what I initially wanted in the first place. I did get the Fall bundle special from Big Boys Hobbies and opted for the optional water proof headphones. (They are great)

I already have the lesche, carrot, and scoops to accompany the new machine.

So now I join the ranks of the ATP owners, I am thinking I made the right call, and I look forward to picking your brains, learning this new MD, and sharing what I hope to be great finds!

I am ready the manuals now, and going to get it in the yard this afternoon, are there any initial tips or recommendation any of you may have for a new Garrett user?

Also, just thought I should mention, I am in Cleveland, Tennessee if there is anybody nearby. I would like to meet other folks that enjoy this that I may be able to tag along with on some hunts, cheers!

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I am in Cleveland, Tennessee if there is anybody nearby. I would like to meet other folks that enjoy this that I may be able to tag along with on some hunts...
tn_md.gif
If you haven't already - take a look at Sub-Forums: Tennessee for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your ATP!

Like many will say, pay attention to the sounds. There's alot of information coming from them, and the quicker your able to decipher them the better.

Add the 5 x 8 coil to your arsenal. You may not take it off. Especially good in trashy area's. And swing her slow. And when you think your slow enough, slow down some more.

Be careful with the volume:laughing7:. You'll get a happy sound when your target is in the 80's, and it will get your attention, so maybe throw a silver on the ground, where there are some iron signals, just to get an idea of how loud the 80's are. Just don't turn it up all the way.

Good Luck!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your gonna love it! a solid performer tried and tested..

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just a few days ahead of you so I can't recommend much but personally I want to learn the sounds so I'm doing my best to stay in Pro/Zero/Iron Descrim 35 and iron audio off until I get a target that sounds strange then cut iron audio on to see what I can hear. These are settings I found on several different sites but the iron descrim differed anywhere from straight up 0 all the way to 40 with the majority around 33-35. Now I will get tired of digging trash and swap over to a Standard setting just to get a little break from hearing everything but will swap back as much as I can. There are also several Garrett made videos about the AT Pro on YouTube that I keep watching over and over too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll absolutely love it. When I saw the title of this post I was thinking something else, just didn't know what that had to do with detectors! Lol!!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know running that discrim that high can knock out good targets that are masked ? There are two camps here Im the camp that says cut the iron discrim off and let your brain do the work and lrearn the tones that way. thats just me some cant handle it.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the AT Pro. I still kept mine after I got the XP Deus. I use it from time to time. Great machine. Congrats!

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You do know running that discrim that high can knock out good targets that are masked ? There are two camps here Im the camp that says cut the iron discrim off and let your brain do the work and lrearn the tones that way. thats just me some cant handle it.

I am in this camp also. hear it all. let the ground talk to you! relic hunters are not coin shooters or seed hunters. we need hear it ALL. :notworthy:

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree and that is where I plan on ending up... but being a beginner and searching my yard only I was getting so many signals and digging so much trash that I needed something to keep me going and so I put the iron descrim at 35... It's a lot to take in being a beginner, not knowing what the sounds are trying to tell you and digging a crap load of crap... I'll eventually dig it all... but baby steps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a great way to learn any detector is to bury some targets, even put trash around some or near some, etc. calabash has many videos made from what he calls his "test garden." when i received my XP Deus, i buried some targets in the backyard and this really helped me learn the detector. have a long way to go with the Deus, but it gave me a great start. go Pro Mode on the AT Pro, that is my advice.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even if you dont make a test garden get some coins penny dime quarter etc amd listen to them. You could order some silver coins merc dime etc of ebay wore out ones which are cheap a few dollars and listen to them too.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine. All kinds upgrades available.
pay more attention to the tones than the VDI. A lot of the deep targets with good tones will not show a VDI.
Dig everything until you learn your machine. it is a labor of love lol

OP
OP
C

collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for all the suggestions and warm welcome to the Garrett club. If it warms up some today, I hope to get out to a buddies farm and get some time in on learning it. I will post my thoughts and some finds as I get used to this machine.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your at,
practice, practice, and then hunt some more. even after hitting it for a year you will still be learning. and by the way add a nel storm coil...a killer. and after that just dig it all.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When learning the AT Pro (or any detector); in the beginning dig all targets until you understand the audio. Use the audio first then look at the numbers as a check, but beware the numbers tend to lie with depth and depth readings lie with target size.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread