Maintenance for older at pro’s.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me. A friend of mine has an older AT Pro and he showed me Saturday that his has developed a sort of rainbow effect on the display. You know how oil and water will mix sometimes to make a multi-colored slick? That's kind of what this looked like. Any ideas of the cause. It's out of warranty, but I figure sending it to Garrett is his only alternative. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some more research i found out it is screen separation between the actual screen and the overlay. While I was trying to clean mine off I noticed it moved when I rubbed it. I am getting a new overlay and replace it.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[quote After some more research i found out it is screen separation between the actual screen and the overlay. While I was trying to clean mine off I noticed it moved when I rubbed it. I am getting a new overlay and replace it. ] quote

I have the same thing happen to my AT-Pro, thinking of sending back to Garrett before the warranty runs out.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It happens to all AT pros. It does not affect the inside of the electronics. What happens is slight moisture/humidity builds up between the decal and the face plate over time. No water can get into the water proof housing. It’s just annoying for some people but doesn’t bother me. Mine started out small and it’s a bit wider of a bubble. It’s been like that for 6 yrs and the detector still works flawlessly. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516652070.009656.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516652083.474930.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516652139.693615.jpg

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
...if you send it in, all Garrett will do is remove the decal cover and put a new one on and then after a short time it will do the same thing. It doesn’t harm the detector so why waist the time or $$$ sending back. You can purchase a new face decal and do it yourself as seen in the photo but again, unless it’s really bad, why bother.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...if you send it in, all Garrett will do is remove the decal cover and put a new one on and then after a short time it will do the same thing. It doesn’t harm the detector so why waist the time or $$$ sending back. You can purchase a new face decal and do it yourself as seen in the photo but again, unless it’s really bad, why bother.

Thanks! That's good information to have was curious if it would effect the waterproofness of the unit. My came up late last year, now that I have my Max not using the Pro that much, just one of those annoying things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread