Back from Warranty Work

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I bought a new GTI 1500 in June 2007 and noticed that after scanning an item, the threshold would revert to the default level from the level I had set for earphone use. Only if I pressed Last Mode or scanned over another item would the threshold go back down for a while. Also, when scanning over a large item, the audio response was a rasping, scratching sound ("modulated audio"?) and all the lower segments lit. After 6 months of this, I decided Garrett had better examine this detector. They sent it to a wrong address after repairing it but Garrett got it back and sent it to me, and I finally picked it up from the PO this morning. The packing slip did not indicate what had been done: recalibrate it, reload the software, or what. I won't know until I take it to a local park on Sunday whether the funny behavior has been cured, and if I can finally start racking up the coin totals! I have 3 other Garretts but I must admit, the F75 and T2 are tempting! I won't get either if the '1500 shows its mettle.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dan_h said:
I bought a new GTI 1500 in June 2007 and noticed that after scanning an item, the threshold would revert to the default level from the level I had set for earphone use. Only if I pressed Last Mode or scanned over another item would the threshold go back down for a while. Also, when scanning over a large item, the audio response was a rasping, scratching sound ("modulated audio"?) and all the lower segments lit. After 6 months of this, I decided Garrett had better examine this detector. They sent it to a wrong address after repairing it but Garrett got it back and sent it to me, and I finally picked it up from the PO this morning. The packing slip did not indicate what had been done: recalibrate it, reload the software, or what. I won't know until I take it to a local park on Sunday whether the funny behavior has been cured, and if I can finally start racking up the coin totals! I have 3 other Garretts but I must admit, the F75 and T2 are tempting! I won't get either if the '1500 shows its mettle.
...I like Garrett been useing there detectors since about 1982 but lately they don't seem to be with it at times just a lot of little things they get wrong any more . I still use Garrett and like them i just wish they would stop with all these little mistakes they keep making now..........................==Jim==

R

robert roy

Don't know what was done to it?
Call the customer service and find out.
If it were me I'd be right on them, even
if it didn't cost me anything. I assume it
was under warranty?

Robert R

OP
OP
D

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
The repair and shipping were all covered by the warranty. I'll use it for a while and e-mail them about how it has performed, and add, "Incidentally, what did the repair consist of?"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dan_h said:
The repair and shipping were all covered by the warranty. I'll use it for a while and e-mail them about how it has performed, and add, "Incidentally, what did the repair consist of?"
You can call them and talk to the Tech.. that worked on it.......... ==Jim==

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can call them and talk to the Tech.. that worked on it.......... ==Jim==

Call them as soon as possible too. There is no sense in using a detector that you have no confidence with. When I sent in my 1500 and got it back nothing was on my repair slip either. I called and got the info, but it doesn't seem to have the same depth or fast response.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
D

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I used it for 35 minutes at a local park today, found the usual ordinary coins and junk. Nothing has changed. Either they didn't repair it, or tested it and decided it was acting per specifications. Not sure whether I'll keep it or trade it toward a First Texas product or the Minelab Xterra 70. Even if I do, I'll still have 3 Garretts, so my Garland, TX squad will be largely intact. But I won't rush this decision, I'll use my CX Plus next Sunday at another local park so as to not risk marring or scratching the '1500 and thereby reducing its trade-in value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread