Reminisce about the moment your research was rewarded. Lets see your reward!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Reminisce about the moment your research was rewarded. Let's see your reward!

Hey gang,

Earlier this year, I was reading some local southern CA history when I came across references to adobe home sites in the area. Most of these homes were long-since vanished, due to the elements, vandals, etc. Those that were still visible were obvious historic landmarks and were thus off-limits to detecting. My research led me to a rural area by a stream where an adobe had been built around 1850. Finding the site was the most fun part - I left my detector at home, put on the hiking boots, filled a day pack with water and snacks and went on my way. My first hike unknowingly got me to within 1/3 of a mile of the site I would eventually find. It was a long, hot slog through poison oak and sage scrub and I could tell from the stories I had read and my surroundings that I must be close. I didn't have any historic maps of the site, but several accounts of a life lived in the area. A little more reading after that first hike was the key. I started the hike from a different direction and found the site almost immediately. The remains of long-dead cypress trees (which are not native to the area) was the confirmation that I had arrived at the site. A couple of minutes later, I located the house by finding the melted remains of adobe bricks, even a 90-degree corner of a room or the outer wall. This time, I had my detector with me. On that first visit, I found a few square nails, a corset snap, clothing rivets, and part of a pewter or lead button. Not too much to write home about. On my third visit to the site, I was about an hour into swinging my F-75 without much luck when I got a nice, clear signal that ID'd in the 70s. At this point, I hadn't even found a modern coin at the site (good sign). But, I had found a few beer cans that rang up in the mid-70s range (bad sign). This target was more discrete and crisp than a beer can - a small target! I got a little excited because I thought maybe I'd pull an early wheat penny or a silver coin out of here. I dug about 6 inches, flipped a plug of dirt, and saw what looked like a dirty button mushroom. It wasn't a mushroom, but it was a button! Flipped it over, saw a rider on horseback and the letters "P.O.D". A Post Office Department button! This design was used between the years 1873 and 1892, when it was replaced by a more modern button, depicting a mail carrier on foot with a letter in his outstretched hand. I've been detecting for about a year now and finding this site has been the highlight for me, even though I've only found this one "keeper" to date. That's my research reward story, what's yours? - Jim

Attachments

• Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 225
  • P.O.D button front.jpg
    P.O.D button front.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 230
  • P.O.D button back.jpg
    P.O.D button back.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 210
  • P.O.D button front.jpg
    P.O.D button front.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 210
  • P.O.D button back.jpg
    P.O.D button back.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 214

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: Reminisce about the moment your research was rewarded. Let's see your reward!

i like the button, i really enjoy finding my sites as well, some of the old gold mines and charcoal kiln sites, even though i havent found much in the way of finds this year

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Reminisce about the moment your research was rewarded. Let's see your reward!

Very cool find and love the pics and story....I think my favorite reward was finding the ghost town (featured in Best of TNet), but I am onto another even greater site and working on the history of it now............I love it when people add the history to their stories of the sites they hunt...lets me know they have really done their homework :) :)..

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I'm still in the process of hunting the site out, but I was detecting in some woods that I thought had been part of a long-gone amusement park. Adjacent to this park there'd been a Catholic girls' school which was once a boarding school. Only 1 building remains which was built in 1969 and is now a city library. One day while poking around I wandered into a thicket and found a fire hydrant! Cool! So I poke around some more, and hey guess what! Another fire hydrant! So I come on here and tell my tale, and ended up with a hookup to the Sanborn map website where I find I've got a few nice size buildings to detect around the foundations, if I can ever figure out which one is where. Every time I go back there I find some feature I didn't notice before. Lately I've been trying to figure out a brick formation, and a concrete-slab type one as well. Another 'glad I did my homework' minute was when I matched up the VERY out of place trees with the unpaved street on the Sanborn map- which I matched up to a Sat-map image- which my Mom tells me was wonderful for when you wanted to go swimming since the nuns would call the cops, but they were too lazy to walk all the way down to the beach from the street.
Unfortunatly the password is no longer valid >:( s*#t anybody got the new one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions