Just a good story.............

NEWN

May 19, 2009
With the exception of Captain James Kidd who buried treasure on Gardner Island {where it was Later recovered!!} the staple Urban legend is that of the buried Pirate Treasure tale..?
In 1961 "Readers Digest treasury for Young Readers" is a story "Tea Leaves and Buried treasure" by Alton H. Blackington in which two boys George Benner and George Levanselar find a buried treasure near Boothbay Maine after finding a clue in a old pirate trunk left nearly 40 years before with Benner aunt; the two deposit treasure in Boston North Atlantic Bank. No dates are given except Benner aunt {no last name} of Montpelier Vt-who orginally was given the trunk dies in March 1935 age 103.
AS far as I've been able to find Blackington {1893-1963} was a photojournalist/author who worked for the Boston Herald. Interestingly in Google Book references the story is listed under 1951 Riders Digest collections as "History" yet in another reference published 1956 in "More Yankee Yarns" by BLACKBURN himself it is listed under "FICTION"!!!! Prehaps a tongue in cheek clue is that the story is bogus is that in the old trunk is a book by Sir Walter Scott "The Pirate" which was published in 1821-a hundred years after Prirates such as Blackbeard and Captain Kidd off the colonial coasts-hardly something a 18th Century pirate would be reading!!!! ::)

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
A news item

Florida fisherman nets live guided missile

He thought he'd netted a big one, but after reeling it in police said Tuesday a Florida fisherman found he really did have a live catch on his hands -- a very unstable air-to-air guided missile. Oddly Enough

Commercial fisherman Rodney Salomon never panicked, and kept long-line fishing aboard his "Bold Venture" boat in the Gulf of Mexico for another 10 days before returning to port.

"I had it strapped to the roof of my boat as we rode through lightning storms," Salomon said, according to local Tampa Bay's 10 Connects News.

The bomb squad from a nearby military base that promptly dismantled it upon his return to shore said the heavily corroded eight-foot-long missile could have exploded at any moment.

"I wasn't scared," said 37-year-old Salomon, according to local media reports. "Why should I be scared?"

Salomon, from Saint Petersburg, Florida, was 50 miles (80 kilometers) out in the Gulf from Panama City when he caught the military ordnance, said the Pinellas County sheriff's office.

The experts said the missile was corroded by its apparent extended stay in saltwater. According to the bomb team "it was live and in a very unstable state," police said.

Salomon asked the bomb squad if he could keep the missile as a souvenir after it was made safe, but the request was denied.

He said it wasn't the first one he and his three-man "Bold Venture" crew picked up. Days after the find, Saloman nabbed another.

That one was beeping so he decided to let it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions