Im not your Huckleberry

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I'm not your Huckleberry

I've been doing research on a site to hunt and in my reading I met The Huckleberry Queen, a most colorful character. I'm beyond fascinated with her!!

I thought I'd share a little of my research with you, but before you meet the Huckleberry Queen you should know that it all started in the Big Huckleberry Marsh, The "Stomping Ground", "South Chicago" in the early 1870's. The yield of berries from this territory was so abundant that the fame of it was carried far and wide.

One of our newspapers asserts on good authority, ―that pickpockets, thieves and
strumpets mingle among the pickers and that on nights and Sundays gambling, drinking,
violence and prostitution are carried on to a fearful extent.‖ Another newspaper holds its
statement that ―there are 500 fallen women there on Sundays‖ to be no exaggeration. And all
this, with its accompanying abominations, is to be found, not in some heathen or border country
of in some city, ―Five Points‖ or ―Biler Avenue‖ but in our civilized counties – Marshall, Starke
and St. Joseph!

From the The Plymouth Republican, July 1, 1880

―The Huckleberry Queen has arrived at the marsh and established her authority on
Sunday by whipping her husband and another man.‖ The fact was that she did not restrict that
kind of conduct to the marsh area. Once Gene Marshall, local jokster, played some prank on the
―Queen‖. Irate at what he had done, she made a fast trip to Marmont (Culver) where she found
him standing on one of the streets. She walked up behind him, said ―Turn around and take off
your coat, Gene‖. He turned—before he made another move—she laid her whip to him.‖

The Plymouth Democrat 12 Jan 1882
―The Central House, the only hotel here is occupied and managed by the
notorious Huckleberry Queen and under her management the place has become a stench in the
nostrils of every decent citizen. Why our citizens stand quietly by and allow this devilish and
infamous nuisance to exist and flourish in our midst is a query not easily solved.‖

―Henry Sparrow, having returned from the huckleberry marsh, sits and
whistles his peanut tune with all its variations.

Have you ever been captured by a person you found while doing research?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Re: I'm not your Huckleberry

Not since I was doing research on an area that as it turns out was part of an Indian Reservation. Needless to say I was planing to dig in an area that was strictly verboten for diggin in "Mother Earth" The Historian who I was working with to uncover some of this research was so concerned by my queries that she called the Reservation Police who took me in for questioning. They even supposedly, were calling me a suspect on some graveyard vandalism. My lawyer proved to be more than adequately up to the task of securing my release and no case was forth coming. To this day I warn people away from MDing on Reservations with out first checking with all their officials as to where etc.... They are very touchy about us white folk messing with their sacred grounds and IMHO rightly so ! :P ::)

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Real de Tayopa said:
HI VIBER: Do you think that my credit card is accepted in her hotel?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ummm, Real...I found the ledger...and dang, you're name is on EVERY page :tongue3:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MD Dog said:
Not since I was doing research on an area that as it turns out was part of an Indian Reservation. Needless to say I was planing to dig in an area that was strictly verboten for diggin in "Mother Earth" The Historian who I was working with to uncover some of this research was so concerned by my queries that she called the Reservation Police who took me in for questioning. They even supposedly, were calling me a suspect on some graveyard vandalism. My lawyer proved to be more than adequately up to the task of securing my release and no case was forth coming. To this day I warn people away from MDing on Reservations with out first checking with all their officials as to where etc.... They are very touchy about us white folk messing with their sacred grounds and IMHO rightly so ! :P ::)

MD

Actually Native Americans don't care what the color of your skin is. If you aren't a tribal member...Stay out. To bad, I know an area where they used to toss gold coins until they couldn't find them anymore.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Viber mi Amor: Every page? hmm, no wonder I couldn't balance my books. I must have been under the spell of some Plum Saki. and delightful femininity. Blushing

Don Jose de La Mancha

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting