Need Advice for hunting a potential good spot (with picture)

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
Any advice provided would be appreciated. Even if you think it might not be a good spot.

My friend in PA told me about a potential good spot to check out. It is right by a river, and on the other side of the river there use to be a tavern from the 1830's, and another business from the 1800's in the same area. (long since gone)

Unfortunately, he said I would not be able to hunt on the side where those buildings use to be at, but thought that the area directly across the river from it might be good. (just because it is across of where those old buildings use to be at).

He described it to me and sent me a picture. He said it is about 100 feet of so from the train tracks (active) to the river, and that the area is mostly trees but detectable. The river is only about 20-40 feet wide.

Do you think that this is a potential good spot?
Where do you think would be best to search, closer to the water or further away?
Any other advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Hunt.jpg
    Hunt.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 301

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
By all means hunt it.

If the tavern and other business were going during the time fram you reference then the area directly in front or, or to either side, of the buildings could have been a crossing from one side of the river to the other by horse or wagon. Also, directly across river could have been a prime area to camp after a long night of drinking, etc...

Look for a shallow area that could have been used as a crossing and it may also have "ruts" or old paths from back then to assist you.

Any idea on when the tracks were laid? If it's within the same time frame the location on the track side of the river would have been good for a RR camp too!

I think it would be worth a days search, and just think, back then they didn't have pull tabs!

Grip

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding? Of course you have to hunt a place like that!
You trying to make us jealous or what :tongue3:

Search the whole area. It could take days but that's how you find stuff.
People always buried/hid their valuables for safekeeping before going in to drink.
Any area used in the 1800's is a good place to hunt! Especially if abandoned for many years.

GG~

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I would try to find out if there were any ford across the river there. I would try to find old maps of the old roads in the area. But it depends on what type of hunter you are. If you're not having much luck finding sites or land to hunt, then you may wish to hunt it.

But I would want to know all the information I could about that side of the river, because I wouldn't want to waste my time.

The other thing is that hunting that size of an area in the woods, in summertime, will take you five hunts (all day hunts). Do you know what other signs could signal a site having been there, or do you hope to walk across an old coin on a pass through the site the first time? (this is not likely.)

What is the geography like on that side. Are there any springs? Are there hills? Have you seen a topographic map of that side of the creek yet? Hopefully some of these ideas will help you.

1. Make sure you know as much as you can in advance of doing Any hunting.

2. Don't give up easily when the terrain is tough, and the hunting hard.

3. But know when to pass over a piece of land that there was never any serious use of in times past. There are many pieces of land out there that did not have much human activity on them.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How has the river changed over the years...has it flooded many times....180 years...thats a pretty long span of time for things and topography to change.

Did they add dams to the river raising the water level?

Buckles has a lot of good suggestions.....dig into some old maps and history of the area....old newspapers of the area...

You may want to wait til fall or early spring just to minimize the bug and weeds issue and spend rainy days in your local library reading the old news reels from the times.

I'd definately give it a try if I gathered enough info to indicate that people did cross the river to the tavern and inn. Dont see many roads around the area.....might not have been that popular of a place.

Al

OP
OP
S

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
Thanks for everyone's advice.
I went there the other day and could only search a real small area. Too much brush and stuff. I'll have to wait until fall when it is a lot easier. Found a few blue glass insulators, but both were broken. In the meantime I'll try to do some research on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions