unable to ground ballance

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
I GOT TO USE MY XLT AT PANAMA CITY BEACH THE FIRST TIME AND I WAS UNABLE TO GROUND BALANCE ON THE PRESET BEACH AND JEWLRY, BUT I WAS ABLE TO STILL FIND ABOUT 2 DOLLERS IN CHANGE AND A NICE 300 DOLLER WATCH( PICTURES WILL FOLLOW SOON) ALL CHANGE WERE ABOUT 8 INCHES DOWN, IS THIS NORMAL FOR THE XLT NOT TO GROUND BALANCE. ALSO, WHEN I GOT BACK HOME I CHECK THE DETECTER AT HOME AND IT BALANCE OUT FINE. SO WHATS THE DEAL. :icon_scratch:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Salt.

Potassium and calcium are metals and the salts they form (like in saltwater) goof up detectors big time.

OP
OP
homer007

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
ITS KIND OF FUNNY, BUT THE DETECTOR WAS STABLE AND WAS PICING UP VERY GOOD SIGNALS WITHOUT GROUND BALLANCING I STAYED AWAY FROM THE WET SAND BUT DET AROUND THE ARES PEOPLE WERE SITING .
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Salt.

Potassium and calcium are metals and the salts they form (like in saltwater) goof up detectors big time.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
The detector NEVER balanced.

When it gave the multi tone it told you that it was not able to balance and went to the "factory settings" for ground balance, or something like that.

In the future you would need to make an adjustment or 2 in the programming for the "Beach" setting.

Have you watched the video for the XLT? If not you need to. They give some good examples of how to go about setting the XLT for different settings and they also explain each setting and its use.

I use a XLT, but I am by NO MEANS an expert. I have also never used it in a beach setting, but I have had it refuse to balance for me when I have a custom program in use, and I have had to go in and tweak it a bit to get the settings straight to make the machine happy.

Overall you did great with the default balance, but just imagine what it may have given you if you had tweaked it a bit.

Check out the videos, and NEVER be afraid or embarrassed to break out the manual when hunting in a new location that may pose a challenge to you or the machine.

The XLT is a KICK @%% machine, and I think you will grow to love it. It really becomes a part of you once you leave the factory settings.

Grip

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DFX dose this every once in awhile If will go to factory setting and I just use it that way. I have trouble messing with the control I still trying to learn it....Matt

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in certain high mineral condition areas -- saltwater beaches and high mineral areas * the standard factory preset settings might not be set "high" enough to account for the extra high mineral levels -- if the ground balance is too low --the machine sees the mineral rich soil as a wall of metal --thus it will work poorly -- if properly set -- the machine will not "See" the soil at all --thus you get a clean read of metals in the soil without interferance that will mess up your readings.

its very important to learn how to manually "ground balance" your machine for these areas --- another trick is often around powerline areas --detectors have "issues" -- since the power line EMF feild distrupts the detectors electric feild --causing "falsing" --often backing off on the sen/ power level helps --since once the machine is no as "sensitive" it will not pick up on the EMF bleed off of the powerlines --a bit less depth but a working detector . :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread