built an ice dam ?

there in 1939

1939.JPG

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Ice dams were used when folks cut and saved blocks of ice for use in ice houses throughout the year. They went away when commercial electric freezers came on line. Used to be there were drivers who delivered ice to homes - that happenned on hand cut ice and manufactured ice. Checking that for this area will get you the information. Home ice deliveries went away in the fifties when folks started owing their own refrigerators. siegfried schlagrule

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
... and rural communities may have cut ice long past manufactured/delivered ice capabilities... but I agree that the 1950s would be a good target.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just reading a book about the history of early Texs and they were buying cut ice from back east hauled in by ship. This was in the 1860s right after the Civil war. Later it mentioned an ice making machine bought by a wealthy business owner and that was in 1909. So, that should give you some idea of the era of cut ice. Monty

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning: I believe that the first Ice making machies were developed during the Civil war for hospital usage, however it was much later before they were used for general civilian consumption, that required the development of commercially viable electricity.

As kiddie, I remember running after an Ice wagon and scrambling with the other kiddies for the completely unsanitary chips of ice left after cutting off a block for a customer, hmm, same for Tar. etc., . Wonder why we didn't die off being so unprotected, We even played with Mercury, shared food, goodies, and, HORRORS, GUNS with no problems ?? Could it be that in this way we were exposed to many potential lethality's and so developed an immunity which modern kiddies lack by being so protected?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Real de Tayopa said:
Good morning: I believe that the first Ice making machies were developed during the Civil war for hospital usage, however it was much later before they were used for general civilian consumption, that required the development of commercially viable electricity.

As kiddie, I remember running after an Ice wagon and scrambling with the other kiddies for the completely unsanitary chips of ice left after cutting off a block for a customer, hmm, same for Tar. etc., . Wonder why we didn't die off being so unprotected, We even played with Mercury, shared food, goodies, and, HORRORS, GUNS with no problems ?? Could it be that in this way we were exposed to many potential lethality's and so developed an immunity which modern kiddies lack by being so protected?

Don Jose de La Mancha

My dad tells the same stories... eating the ice chips and using tar like gum.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is way off topic, but roofers use to use tar to seal roofs. Now days they use asphalt that has some tar and a lot of petroleum addatives that probably would kill you if you tried to chew it! We had an ice box and an ice delivery man when I was a very small child. There was a 4 sided sign you displayed on your door screen that told how much ice you wanted delivered. He'd carry it up and put it in your ice box. I remember him carrying it on his back on a big leather apron sort of thing with huge tongs. He would give ice chips to the kids. Monty

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Real de Tayopa said:

Don Jose de La Mancha

My dad tells the same stories... eating the ice chips and using tar like gum.

Yep

I Chewed Tar

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:

Don Jose de La Mancha

We would Break Ice Cycles off the Edge of the Roof,
And Eat them every winter, drink water from mountain
springs, swim in whatever water was available with no fear,
walk barefoot in the snow etc.

and your right.
we were brought up so our bodies could
handle lifes curves.

now days, there is too much
Babysitting going on.
we're being turned into wimps

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Jeff:

At least road tar didn't have aspertame in it like most all chewing
gum does now. I checked all the gums in Walmart the other day
and the only one that didn't was bubblegum.

lastleg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
Jeff:

At least road tar didn't have aspertame in it like most all chewing
gum does now. I checked all the gums in Walmart the other day
and the only one that didn't was bubblegum.

lastleg

HaHa Yea I'd stick to Roadtar over
artificial Sweeteners

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread