Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have a question for you members out there that have the best experience hunting local beaches. I live about 20 minutes from Beautiful Lake Tahoe and for those of you familiar with it, the place is a tourist trap for the rich and poor alike, that like to lose lot's of stuff. anyway this time of year the beaches are absolutely packed umbrella to umbrella and I obviously can't detect with so many people in the way. so what is the best time to go? mornings? evenings? :icon_scratch: weekdays or weekend? i have always waited later in the year when it cools down and the beaches are empty is this a bad idea? am I just letting the other guys get the good stuff first??? ???

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go out at sun up until the crowd's start wondering threw or it gets to hot ,or I hunt at night after dark start around 10 pm,then I hunt until about 2-3 am.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in VI I notice that around 5 in the evening was a good time to go. The people would start leaving and as it was getting to be supper time. Plus it is getting cooler. I did notice that there was other detectist coming out in the evening. Plus there was a few that would hunt in the early morning. So which ever time you think is best for you.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
I am kidding you.

I only hunt in the rain in order to avoid heckling.

unfortunately we don't get that much rain here in Northern Nevada only about 6-7 inches a year. so that won't work.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
go out at sun up until the crowd's start wondering threw or it gets to hot ,or I hunt at night after dark start around 10 pm,then I hunt until about 2-3 am.

do you wear a head lamp so you can see? I would hate having to fumble around with a darn flashlight.

Michael in SC

May 16, 2005
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000
I do most of my hunting on beaches and I like to go early (0500 or so) on weekday mornings. I have several reasons for this:

1. It's way to early for most beach goers.
2. It's a weekday so there are going to be fewer people.
3. The weekend, when most people go, is over so more chances at finding stuff.

Having said that I will also head out to the same areas about 2000 to avoid crowds and I wear a lightweight headlamp. But, the main factor in determining when I go is something that you don't have to worry about, the tide.

Michael

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When my wife lets me :laughing9:..........NGE

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
longsocks (socks)© said:
if you go at night hunt with a friend... HH socks

usually if i go hunt a spot in an area i don't trust or if i end up going at night i bring a 2 buddies Smith & Wesson :laughing7:

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I used to live up at Tahoe. There are only 2 seasons there: moderately warm and really cold. Maybe you are MDing around South Lake Tahoe (?)--the big city. Try wearing a speedo when you detect; that'll drive the crowds away; or maybe early morning, before the hangovers start to wear off.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnysan said:
I used to live up at Tahoe. There are only 2 seasons there: moderately warm and really cold. Maybe you are MDing around South Lake Tahoe (?)--the big city. Try wearing a speedo when you detect; that'll drive the crowds away; or maybe early morning, before the hangovers start to wear off.

haha if i wore a speedo i would probably get arrested lol

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being retired I go when ever I feel like it. Most days I will got for about 2 or 3 hours in mid afternoon. We have so many local parks and beaches here in Wisconsin, that I do not usually run into to many people. I told the wife more then once that I was going to get up and go out around 5 AM or so, but so far at that time I usually turn over and go back to bed LOL . Maybe one day I will get up and try it early in the morning...If I would g up for a early hunt it would be to check out the tot lots,, before the little ones get to them.. Shane :)

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:.....I carry a mini mag light on my belt for when I need it an am in the midst of making a bracket for my detector shaft so I can mount a miners light like you wear on your head under my control unit .I'll post pictures of it when I get it done.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright:.....I carry a mini mag light on my belt for when I need it an am in the midst of making a bracket for my detector shaft so I can mount a miners light like you wear on your head under my control unit .I'll post pictures of it when I get it done.

sweet :headbang: thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start my hunt in the early evenings before anyone else gets to it.

C

Cappy Z.

My wife goes to bed late...about 11:00pm//Later..when I hear her snoring...I go through her purse for loose change.

Trust me..it adds up over a year!

HH

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BillyBudd said:
My wife goes to bed late...about 11:00pm//Later..when I hear her snoring...I go through her purse for loose change.

Trust me..it adds up over a year!

HH

hahaha thats funny right there. :laughing9:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lmfao .....................BillyBudd I want your number Bro I wanna call about 11:15 an see if lets you keep huntin lol

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been to beaches so packed that I didn't detect, not wanting to ding in peoples faces.
A weekday usually takes the edge off the crowd just about anywhere ,,, And early or late too.
I second the 5pm option, folks usually start calling it a day about then after soaking up sun for hours.
Kiddies are tired and want a good meal, ect.

I'm a big fan of night detecting also and yes, a LED headlamp is a must.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I advise you carry something for protection. I have a long filet knife that I found in the surf I carry at night. It looks like it was in the water for awhile, but is long and sharp. I had a life guard ask me what it was for one time at dusk, before the beach closed, I told him sharks, land and sea. He smiled and told me to be careful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread