Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if your machine has the ability to manually ground balance or not.

My infinium however, needs to be ground balanced. By doing that, I'm fine tuning it to ignore the ambient soil conditions that would cause interference to my hunting enjoyment. It balances out the mineralization of the soil to quiet the machine down.

I have other machines that do that automatically.

The manual ones will fine tune better than the automatically adjusted machines, if I am correct in my logic.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance is preset at the factory for the ACE 250 and is not automatic nor is it capable of being altered. It is set for the "average" conditions you might encounter. I prefer being able to ground balance manually but Garrett seems to have figured it out pretty well with the ACE 250. The only time I have run into trouble with my ACE 250 is some black sand I ran into on the beach. Oh, yeah, and overhead wires really mess things up sometimes. You get a lot of falsing. Ground balance is the degree that the detector has of adjusting to the soil and other anomolies of the area you are hunting. (That's an over simplification but the best I can do). It can be crudely adjusted somewhat in the ACE 250 by lowering the sensitivity, but that doesn't always work. Just depends on the amount of interference in the ground and or other interference you encounter such as the over head electric wires. M :dontknow: nty

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 250 an a Tesoro that you have to adjust the ground balance on to hunt ,the 250 is a factory set ground balance like Monty said an can not be adjusted ,the 250 is a good little machine to let the fact of the ground balance discourage you on it alot of folks find alot of stuff with that machine .happy hunting . :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Monty said very well, the Ace has a factory preset GB. It is ok in a lot of areas generally speaking. Many times the automatic GB that the "higher" end detectors have still do not do as fine a job as the manual adjustments, but if in a bad changing ground you need to keep adjusting the balance. Depends on how much fun you wanna have. :laughing7:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The question of ground balance, especially preset versus manual versus automatic comes up fairly often. Many will imply that if your machine doesn't have either true auto ground balance or manually adjusted ground balance that is isn't worth hunting with. I use 5 machines with factory preset ground balance with excellent results in the soil in my area and have made many finds. That said, I do have one machine that has manually controlled ground balance and one that has true auto that I can fall back on if I encounter soil conditions that require adjustment. One should be aware that poorly adjusted manual and/or auto ground balance that is off may give worse performance than a factory preset. For most typical parks, fair grounds, tot lots etc. the preset machines will give good results without having to fiddle with multiple adjustments etc. My two bits.
HH
Bill

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lucky in that there is hardly any areas around where I hunt most that have a very high or very low mineralization problem. So, factory ground balance works just fine most of the time. I hunt one lake shore that has a very high salt content and I do get a bit of static when I use my ACE 250 on the shoreline. It even has black sand much like the seashore. But as long as I stay on the dry sand it works excellent. Monty

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick'd up a 5900 di pro it has to be manually ground balanced, but my mxt it adjust it's self by pumping it up and down over the ground and your off one of the fastest to ground balance i thick.But my 5900 eats my mxt when it come to deep with a blue max 1500 it goes down 4'.My mxt alittle over 2' with a dd8by14 I have the piece of copper still in the ground to prove it.I love White's detectors.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way around this is to adjust the sensitivity as everyone mentioned. For the beach I usually turn it down between a 2, or 3. On regular ground go to a 4, or 5. I would play around with it for a while and see what works best for your needs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread