My friend bob says go out after midnight 2 increase finds

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
If there is any increase in depth it would be due to the increased moisture in the soil and on the vegetation. If you're bumping into things work away from the trees. If you are working anywhere you had best have written permission to be there when officer friendly walks up and taps you on the shoulder to get your attention and causes you to nearly have a heart attack. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
If there is any increase in depth it would be due to the increased moisture in the soil and on the vegetation. If you're bumping into things work away from the trees. If you are working anywhere you had best have written permission to be there when officer friendly walks up and taps you on the shoulder to get your attention and causes you to nearly have a heart attack. siegfried schlagrule
Thanks mostly dog dirt asked bob about using torch he said best not to no point in drawing attention to one self.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
So how do you see what you are digging up, and of course repairing the dig??

To be honest it most likely is not advisable. LOL

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
So how do you see what you are digging up, and of course repairing the dig??

To be honest it most likely is not advisable. LOL
Hmm thanks rang bob up asked him about getting permission etc I think there's a fault on his line it went dead.

K

Kentucky Kache

Maybe Bob meant "the light of the moon", a term referring to the first and second quarters. There are moon signs and phases for almost everything.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt after dark in a lot of parks an tot lots that have a street light or such not far off its still dark but you enough light not to be bumpin into trees an I carry a mini mag flash light on my belt for when I need it ,

B

BIG61AL

i never detect much past sundown.....that's when those damn spawn of Satan's loins, the mosquitos come out to feed. They just eat me alive even if i put on deet they will find that one tiny patch of skin not covered with deet and bite me....no thanks but I'll just come back another time.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal mania said:
Could this be true he claims that the gravitational pull of the moon makes the signals go deeper tried it but kept bumping in to things have to ask Bob about that.

I hate to throw cold water but....

1. If the Moon's gravitational force were pulling the signal down, the Moon would have to be on the opposite side of the Earth. It would be pulling the signal up on a Moonlit night.

2. A detector signal travels both directions, so any pulling effect should be mostly cancelled out.

3. During the Lunar cycle, the time of Moonrise changes by approximately one hour each Earth day, so the "pull" after midnight would only have the same effect for a small part of the Lunar month.

4. I would be willing to bet money that no scientifically controlled tests would validate Bob's theory. Ambient operating temperature, outside sounds invading your headphones more during the day, and perhaps moisture level near ground surface would be more apt to influence results.

scrubber

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/metal-detector1.htm
This series of articles explains the way different metal detectors work. Why some are worth $1500k and others are worth $50. Interesting article I really want one of those top end underwater detectors.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question72.htm
This might explain your hypothesis with relation to phase shift of the moon and detectors ability to seek deeper targets.

I hold an associates degree in electronics and have another theory why you could have greater success searching the night. Like another writer said it could be the moisture content in the ground "plausible".
What is a metal detector? It is an electromagnetic device that measures the changes of electromagnetic transmissions into the ground that requires an antenna for transmission and reception. If you have ever had interference with another detector or even a cell phone you are experiencing what is called in electronics (noise) it is an unintended interference affecting your unshielded equipment. Those involved with ham radio or shortwave radio also know that you can receive transmissions from stations on the other side of the earth at night because of the lack of Electro-magnetic interference caused by the sun.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-wind-info.htm
There are times where we experience solar storms that cause major havoc on all communications sometimes these storms are responsible for failure of power transmission IE blackouts. We sometimes loose communication satelites due to solar storms. I think you get better results at night because you are shielded from the sun blocking out all those electromagnetic interferences. The moon is sometimes used as a repeater tower by ham operators they will reflect their transmission off the moon to facilitate communication with another ham in an area that would normally be off limits.
I have an idea but want to try it on my own perhaps I can secure a patten on a new way of MDing.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdltpx said:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/metal-detector1.htm
This series of articles explains the way different metal detectors work. Why some are worth $1500k and others are worth $50. Interesting article I really want one of those top end underwater detectors.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question72.htm
This might explain your hypothesis with relation to phase shift of the moon and detectors ability to seek deeper targets.

I hold an associates degree in electronics and have another theory why you could have greater success searching the night. Like another writer said it could be the moisture content in the ground "plausible".
What is a metal detector? It is an electromagnetic device that measures the changes of electromagnetic transmissions into the ground that requires an antenna for transmission and reception. If you have ever had interference with another detector or even a cell phone you are experiencing what is called in electronics (noise) it is an unintended interference affecting your unshielded equipment. Those involved with ham radio or shortwave radio also know that you can receive transmissions from stations on the other side of the earth at night because of the lack of Electro-magnetic interference caused by the sun.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-wind-info.htm
There are times where we experience solar storms that cause major havoc on all communications sometimes these storms are responsible for failure of power transmission IE blackouts. We sometimes loose communication satelites due to solar storms. I think you get better results at night because you are shielded from the sun blocking out all those electromagnetic interferences. The moon is sometimes used as a repeater tower by ham operators they will reflect their transmission off the moon to facilitate communication with another ham in an area that would normally be off limits.
I have an idea but want to try it on my own perhaps I can secure a patten on a new way of MDing.
[/quote Very interesting indeed thanks

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I look at it this way. If I have time to MD, I do it, if not, I'll wait until I do

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
The just of the statements made seems to imply that MDing at midnight can net better results. The members made statements as to why this could be so.
With what I have learned in school it very well could be true your catch can and will improve at night. Not that the moon has magnetic anomalies that improve the signal drawing it deeper into the ground. The only part the moon might play is when you are at high tide or just after ward your land could be saturated with water possibly improving penetration of the radio waves from your detector into the ground. The moon can act like a relay tower if situated correctly bouncing sun signals to your area causing a MD to react to the waves. Those disturbances can cause your processors in your detector to misinterpret a signal giving you a improper alarm due to noise in the circuitry.

They have the time right midnight a point where the sun should be farthest from your home. The same should be true of people MDing in the winter there should be better results due to lack of electromagnetic interference from the sun only draw back is all that white stuff on the ground and frozen ground. The earth can receive your radio transmission for the same reason your short wave radios do better at night the earth protects your antenna placing your antenna away from the sun. Cloudy days could have an affect on MDing too since you have proplegation when you have cloud cover radio waves can interferer with transmission / reception / and internal circuitry.
These are the known types of metal detectors VLF (very low frequency) Technology, VLF Phase Shifting, PI (pulse induction)Technology, BFO (beat frequency oscillation)Technology. On TV I have seen them use radar to find gold in played out mines but the equipment was not very portable and very expensive not practical to average joes.
Go to the how stuff works website and you will see animation of how each detector seeks its target. Very informative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread