Cheap 6 function Harbor Freight metal detector?

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Has anyone tried out the cheap Harbor Freight six function metal detector? It is only $29.99 and sounds like it would be quite a bargain as a detector for a kid or guest. Reading the manual it seems to be easy to use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43150

I've got the Centech pinpointer for $14.99 and it isn't bad. I know all of this stuff is made in China and is of questionable quality but I'm not sure how you could go wrong for around $30. My local store has them in stock. If anyone has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

S

stefen

Not familar with this machine, however it may be from China and is a knock-off of another popular brand, and for less than $30 you ncould have the equilivant to a $500 machine.

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
They actually have it on sale right now for $26.99 (yeah I know.. "big savings"). I'm heading over to pick one up right now if they have one in stock. I'll let you guys now how it works.

K

Kentucky Kache

If nothing else it would be a good machine to experiment with.

troutpw

Greenie
Dec 27, 2008
My wife currently uses one. it is ok for coinshooting and seems to have a depth of 4-5 inches . Only problem with we see is it ground balances itself about every 45 seconds or so and that can get annoying. also it gets real wacky when the batteries are starting to go--not a bad little machine for the price though

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Well I brought home the $26 unit. Sorry, it's not worth the money. It has an air test depth of only about 2 inches and the coil is only 6". It's also a pain in the butt to use so I can't see my kids being able to figure this thing out. I took it back and got the $39.99 model which can be seen at the link below. It's currently $10 off so it's still not a bad deal. It has an 8" coil and manual ground balance. It also has quite a few more functions to learn so it still probably isn't appropriate for kids unless I can figure out a simple set and go mode. A quarter air tests at about 4" which is better but not spectacular. But for the money it doesn't seem bad so far. I'll take it outside later this week and see how it does.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43149

So the $26 one is a real dud. But the $39 model seems to be worth the money so far. I'll give a more detailed report after I have a chance to use it a little more.

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I've done some more twiddling with the $39 unit. The discrimination is pretty much either on or off. Even though there are two modes (and you can tell some difference) you really can't modify the discrimination to get rid of certain non-iron metals. So to summarize:

1) When set to VLF mode you are searching in all metal mode. The discrimination knob is disabled and does nothing. VLF mode is also the mode you use to set the ground balance. Depth is decent but it doesn't tell you the type of target (ferous vs. non-ferous).

2) When set to TR1 mode which is supposed to be the less agressive discrimination mode, pretty much all iron gets blocked with any discrimination setting over about 25%. This really ends up being the "set and forget" mode of operation for those who like to "dig almost everything". Put discrimination at 50% and all iron targets get blocked. But pull tabs, coins, bottle caps, and gold are allowed through. So you'll be digging more trash but you shouldn't miss any good targets.

3) When set to TR2 mode it is supposed to be more aggressive in discriminating between different types of non-iron targets. However, it really isn't worth the hassle. Even at 100% discrimination you still get pull tabs. Nickels start to break up at this point but are also still allowed through. There is no way to discriminate out pull tabs and pennies so I don't really see the point of this mode to be honest. The detector is also a lot less stable in this mode so you are constantly having to hit the red button to get it out of its locked up state.

I still haven't taken it outside yet. And quite honestly I'm debating whether or not I should take it back for a refund. For $39 it does work fairly well. However the discrimination is pitiful considering that they spent time adding multiple discrimination modes. I also fear that it will be a little too complicated for my kids or a guest to use. So that means I'm the one who will end up having to use it and I'd obviously prefer to use a better machine. I haven't had a case where I needed an extra detector so I'm starting to doubt the usefulness of having this unit around. I was considering buying one of these for my dad for his birthday to try and get him interested in detecting. But I think this unit would just confuse him.

Oh well. I had high hopes. If you are looking for a cheap detector that can get coins 4"-5" in the ground and don't mind digging every non-iron target then this machine may not be too bad. But there are a lot of other options for slightly more money that are much better. My Bounty Hunter Tracker IV runs circles around this thing at about twice the price ($89). And I've seen others mention cheaper units that are supposedly pretty decent.

If I find out anything else of interest after taking it outside I'll update the topic. Otherwise, take care!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vowed years ago, after having numerous tools, power tools, and even carpenters pencils fly apart on me with the greatest of ease, to never, ever buy anything from there again, and so far I haven't.
I can't believe these cheapies are good for much of anything - A beginner would just get frustrated and think detecting sucks, and someone with experience wouldn't be caught dead using something like this.

I'd at least go with a low end Bounty Hunter if looking for something for kids.

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I did go with the Bounty Hunter Jr. for my young son for $49.99. It is actually better than the HF $39.99 model. But not by much. You really do get what you pay for. The BH Jr. has better depth (even with a smaller coil), is much lighter, and is MUCH easier to use. But it doesn't have a headphone jack and the handle doesn't cradle your arm so it is harder for kids to swing it straight. On both machines the discrimination is pretty much either on or off. Although both have analog rotary dials to set the discrimination, both are pretty much useless and there is really only one setting that makes any sense on them. They could have substituted a switch for the rotary dial instead and it would have worked just as well.

I've had both good and bad luck with Harbor Freight. As someone else out here once said, their stuff usually either breaks immediately or lasts forever. You just never know which one you are going to get. :wink:

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I have the 39.99 model that I got in a trade from craigslist for a gerber multitool. I like it because it does have different tones for different things. As I am a newbie at this, I do dig everything. I am soon going to be getting an Ace 250 so I guess I can really compare quality versus whatever the HF is.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
There has been low to mid range bounty hunters as well as other brands go on ebay for 40-50 bucks.
craigslist as well.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a white's and be done with it

liftloop

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I'm buying a tool I want to keep forever I avoid Harbor Freight but if I need something for a one time use or a super dirty job where I don't want to have to clean it up afterwards I will get it there. I've never had a tool from there break while in use but I think with the qulity your getting they most likely would not hold up for long.

The only item I purchase there as an impluse item was a double drum rock tumbler to clean the clad. I've had this now for four or five years and other then having to change the belt once it was worked well for my needs.

NJ

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ever read a post were they sold there bounty hunter and bought a white's,mine lab and they found silver right away
well that should explains things right there..

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
we took one gold prospecting, it detected hot rocks in the creek and spots where black sands gathered.
My hunch paid off when i stopped and dug in the area the MD wouldnt shut up.

I should have been silent when sluicing it, my brother & his friend quickly moved in on my spot.

FishFood

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Surperfund, NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden uMax
HF 9 function Chinese POS
Seahunter MKII
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
9 function unit is not too bad for what you pay for it

9 Function Metal Detector

Ya- and this one has audio iron too- 9 Function Metal Detector --45.00 -

I bought one of these 9 function units on a whim...I paid $39 for it. Been detecting on and off for 15 years and I go detecting with a guy who runs a White's Eagle. The 9 function HF detector isn't all that bad considering what you paid for it. Yeah it's constructed like junk, handle/arm cuff is not very comfortable for a long outing, the shaft is precariously mounted to the control housing, but it's very light, batteries last forever...has decent discrimination for $39, enough that you can learn the machine well enough that it can be pretty productive considering what you paid for it. And I find just as much stuff/coin as my buddy does swinging his Eagle. No it's not very deep, but it's deep enough for goofing around or for a new metal detectorist who doesn't have $150-$300 to spend. With regular use, it's going to fail due the cheap construction and poor quality plastic used...I knew that going in on purchasing it. But for now I will keep using it just to bust my buddies balls and leave the uMax gold in the truck when we go out searching for coinage. Funny to watch him dig alum. while I keep telling him it's an old can top and to move on, but he's looking at numbers while I'm listening to tones...yes, that cheap detector has tone discrim, not great but you can learn it. He gets mad when I tell him "told you so" with my crappy little $39 spur of the moment detector purchase...I'm made him a believer in leaning how to use cheap chinese junk though. :laughing7:

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if u have a hobby lobby near you,go online and print 40% off coupon...they have BH tracker 4 for 104.99.....after coupon add taxes i paid 67.00 for it

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 9 function to put behind my truck seat. I took it out to play with in my front yard. My gdaughter was over and wanted to try it,she found a 1966 penny about 4" down. Then all the neighbor kids came over and wanted to try. They had a blast and 5 kids found 6 pennies (1963-1968) 2 nails,a 1/4" wood drill bit, 1 horse shoe nail,1 pull tab all about 4" down. 1 AA token about 8" and a 1965 quarter about 6" down. They got the bug and want to detect more around our block.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread