Please help - Buy One Get One offer - Bounty Hunter 505 or pinpointer??

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcalII 1000, Bounty Hunter 505 8/4
Hello all, I'm new to the forum here. I've always wanted a MD, and now I finally have saved enough to buy one AND have the time to learn how use it. First off, thanks for all the reviews and posts of recommendations, this place is a wealth of information!
Based on recommendations from the threads here, I've decided to spend the extra money on a Minelabs Excalibur II (huge thanks for all the info there). I have a bit of a dilemma though - there is a Buy One Get One offer at KellyCo in which they offer either reduced prices for certain low&mid-end detectors or a pinpointer for free. With the price of the ExcII, my remaining budget is very tight, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity. As I said I'm new and have no other equipment right now and have read that having a backup is a good idea, but also that a pinpointer is very handy. I'm in Florida mostly searching parks, and beaches, with possibly some diving occasionally.

I've narrowed the BOGO choices down to one of the following and would appreciate help/recommendations from the seasoned pros out there. I have a choice of the following:
- Bounty Hunter 505 (8" coil) for $75 extra
- Bounty Hunter 505 Pro (8" & 4" coils) for $95 extra
- Automax V4 Pinpointer for free
- Bounty Hunter Pinpointer for free
- 5" EXcelerator coil for $49 (compatible w/ Exc II??)

Considering the capabilities of the Exc II, which of the above would I likely use the most and which in your opinion would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

PS: Also looking for a TH/MD club in South Orlando/Kissimmee/St. Cloud Florida area if anyone has any info.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest taking the Bounty Hunter pinpointer.

I never go hunting without my pinpointer. It's a valuable tool.

The V-4 pinpointer, in my opinion, is too bulky.

Your stock coil will keep you plenty busy, and why would you need another detector right now? You are getting a great one to start off with, so the only option left is the pinpointer.

Look here for a club. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,564.0.html

Welcome to the wonderful world of hunting, good luck, and we look forward to seeing your finds.

HH!

OP
OP
thedaddy

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcalII 1000, Bounty Hunter 505 8/4
Thanks GIB, I appreciate your response. I posted this on another forum as well and got a lot of feedback on that thread. It seems to have died over here.

As for a second detector - I'm new to this and only going with what others have said about having a backup, but also thought my wife or my father might be interested in joining me.

Anyway, I went with the BH Pioneer 505 detector. Surprisingly, the Automax came with the deal already as part of the accessory pkg.

We can put this thread to bed though. Thanks again!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say to save your money for a scoop for the sand. With the Excal II you won't need a pinpointer for the sand, only the grass and I don't use on there and rely on the use of a screwdriver to probe for the coin. I have a Sunray inline probe for the Sov GT just in case I need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread