Has anyone ever found gold or silver at goodwill?

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep I've gotten a couple silver an gold rings there or medalions for next to nuthin . just like a garage sale ya just gotta keep your eyes open.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a post yesterday from a yard sale where a guy got 3 sets of sterling for $6, and a Hummel for a few dollars more. You just have to stop and look at things

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
A local thrift store sold me a baggie of miscellaneous goodies for three dollars. There was about quadruple that value of sterling in the bag. Marked 925

Great day for stopping at a thrift store.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I sometimes find a nice ring at garage sales. Couple times I bought tarnished silver platters too for next to nothing. Ya just gotta keep your eyes open.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has gotten a couple of nice rings like that. Yea, just gotta keep your eyes open. There are folks that would say that all the good stuff has been found or bought...NEVER.

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
We used to find quite a bit of gold and silver, junk usually, but some nice pieces too.Lately, at least in the several G/W's in my area, the prices are getting so high, you could go to a retail store and buy new items cheaper... :dontknow: ...I see they have started listing items on eBay also, so there goes any chance at sniping a good deal so I can run them on eBay myself.My wife used to be an area supervisor, over 8 stores, she got some really great deals in the past, but alas, those days are long gone....Try to hit the yardsales before the stuff hits Goodwill's doors, or you can't afford it.

Goodwill, not anymore. Other thrift stores, yes. Last summer I bought an unmarked gold and diamond bracelet for $2.50. I knew it had to be gold even without the stamp and I got it tested. Turned out to be 14k and it weighed 46.3 grams.
After that find I asked myself why do I beach hunt for 10 hours, spend gas, and break my arm from swinging the coil through water for a few dollars and a few scraps of jewelry, when I can buy it for cheap at a thrift/garage sale?
I guess that's why I'm a relic hunter. :tongue3:
Dave.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
goodwill is now selling better collectible items online at their website. I have bought several items and was grossly overcharged for shipping. I don't go there often but if you can't find the site drop me a pm and I'll try to give you the URL. a google search for "goodwill auctions" should find it. siegfried schlagrule

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Unfortunately, at my local place we NEVER find anything good.

I suspect some of the workers there siphon off all the good stuff and
the customers get the junk.
:'(
(Then again, I might just be a conspiracy theorist) :dontknow:

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Never found anything, but had a friend donated some clothes and an overcoat after his wife died a few years back. remembered a couple weeks later, there was 10 oz of gold in the coat pocket. Goodwill said they'd watch for it, but he never got it back. True story.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
What? employees siphon of donations? I don't understand, is that policy?

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
UncleVinnys said:
I suspect some of the workers there siphon off all the good stuff and the customers get the junk.

More than you know. Back when my boys were teens, I decided they needed to give some good old-fashioned community service. We volunteered at a well-known non-profit operation. We were initially assigned to the receiving/dump-off area. This is where your "donations" get their first "going-over" by the employees/volunteers. The stuff is divided-up into basic groups, like household goods, clothing, toys, etc. Some people like to place money and jewelry in old purses/wallets. This loot found it's way into the pockets of many an employee/volunteer.

After a while, we got "promoted" to work in more specific areas- I went to electronics, my sons went to clothing, etc. Really nice lamps, stereos, gameboys, etc would end-up in the car trunk of an employee/volunteer. I could go on forever... Suffice it to say that after a couple of months of witnessing that crap, I released my sons from their community service experience!

Bottom line? If you want to give something to one of these operations, you might want to ensure it gets into the right "hands"....

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
I bought big bag of costume jewelry at a Sal. Army store for $20.00. There was a "belly chain" of sterling silver that was almost 12 oz. as well as three 14K gold earrings that didn't have their mates. One was so elaborate I was able to have it made into a ring!

I have found many old and discolored pearl necklaces in the junk trays that looked like costume, but were in fact natural pearls from the 1920's. Also many plain and simple wedding bands have found their way into the junk boxes at Sal. Army as well as some pretty nice watches that only needed a battery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread