Land Owner says YES! Neighbour says "NO"

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Land Owner says YES! Neighbour says "NO"

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
"What did you say your name was Sir?" "The next time I speak to ______________ (land owner) I'll be sure to tell him that he has
at least one neighbour who has his back!" "It's so rare these days
to have good neighbours." Would you like to watch while I finish
this survey?" "I'm sure a man like you knows lots of places where
the old folks used to congregate when you were little." "I'd really
appreciate any tips that you could give me and any introductions
you could provide to land owners." "Perhaps you would be free to
ride along some day and show me places." "If you think you would
be up to it i have a spare machine that I would be glad to loan you
when we are together."

Thus endeth the lesson. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance -
baffle them with bull. siegfried schlagrule

SS, you are absolutely correct. In the Southern states, we watch out for our friends' and neighbors' property. If we see someone we don't know messing around, we check them out to make sure they're there legally and with permission from the owners. If they check out, we might BS with them for a while, but that's it. We don't act like asses. I guess that's the difference between us and those Canadians.

Now, I have had a run-in with a nut who was knocking out windows of a church van parked in the back yard of the parsonage next door to us. The fool was seriously PO'd at the preacher and came around while the family was out of state. I walked over and called him out about it and told him to put down the crowbar and stand still; the police had been called. I had my shotgun laid in the crook of my elbow, but the barrel was NOT pointed at him at anytime. I suppose the sound made when I chambered a round kinda broke through his "fog". The point is, not all "check ups" are wrong. It's the attitude of the "checker-upper" that makes the difference.

Ohhhhh Yeah!! American by birth; Southerner by the grace of God. ;D :thumbsup:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I skipped all the previous posts so forgive me is this has already been touched on..

If it were me and were approached by the neighbors, I would simply say " The previous home owner has contracted me to locate his easements". Then I would follow up by saying "Yes, when the water company, gas company, cable company lay lines, they always leave a metal strips in the ground to find so the next landowner has an idea of where the "locates" are at, and they won't blow up a gas line, etc.". Use 'company' words that alienate them, and then they'll believe you. Then you could throw the name of the previous owner around, and then they would surely think "O.k.,, it;'s for safety". Of course it always help to have the "good ol' boy" mentality.

what they don't know won't hurt them.... By the time they got ahold of anyone, you're already out of there.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was 48 once, for about a year. You got permission from the land owners. There used to be a sayin that possession was nine tenths of the law. You should go out there in front of the neighbors and...never mind. Y'all keep at it and best of luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread