Help need advice?

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Been watching a house in my town sitting empty. Went to the auditors website and it was built in 1888. This house was foreclosed in april its sitting empty, says the bank that owns it is the regions bank out of florida. What would be the best way to gain permission to md this property on the up and up. I was afraid if I called this bank being Im in ohio that they wouldnt have a clue what I am talking about Im sure others have done this successfully . I just like knowing I am in the right when I hunt and any help would greatly be appreciated? thanks

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't going to let you. It would be a liability issue.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this reply will raise a few eyebrows...

The best time to detect there would be very early on a Sunday morning, and be out before 9AM.

:D

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
If you are going to be on the up and up, I can tell you now that there is a 99% chance the bank itself will say no. As it was mentioned earlier, it is a liability...a huge one. Banks don't even like basketball hoops to be left up as they potentially "attract" liability issues with kids. Your best best will be to wait for the property to become an REO property and then go through the realtor. If you can keep on top of it, you may even be able to arrange to cut the lawn for them, etc. as part of a deal or something to that nature. If you go through the bank (unless it is a local one you know people at) the answer will typically be no. They cannot chance you getting hurt on the property.

If it is an out of the way property that has been abandoned for months and there is not sign anyone is cutting the grass, etc., I would be inclined to detect it. I support the REO dept. at a large bank, so I speak from experience on the permissions part.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you may just have to wait for the property to be sold and ask the new owners :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm with Neil on this one. My area of the USA was/is hard-hit by foreclosures, and .... for awhile. There were a lot of vacant houses sitting with weed-choked yards, boarded up windows, etc... Like in your case dasher, probably owned by some nameless faceless investor pools or banks in some other state ::) In one case, I even brought my power mower to cut the grass down to a huntable level, and was rewarded with some early wheaties, silver, etc....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
They aren't going to let you. It would be a liability issue.

My suggestion is contact bank, tell them the grass and weeds are an eyesore and ask if you can mow it for them. While your there you might as well clean it up some and remove any metal items you find. :wink:.

OP
OP
D

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I may do that , there is only one really its a corner house so never know they may say knock ur self out. Still be nice to get full fledged permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions