Has anyone ever been arrested for Hunting?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nothing like that for me, and I'm about as hard-core as they come :headbang: I'm betting that if you ever did hear of an "arrest" case, it's probably someone who couldn't take a warning, or someone night-sneaking an obvious historic off-limits monument, etc....

I've heard of a few persons getting a ticket (like a traffic ticket) for hunting on CA state historical park, or federal historic property. In one case, the fellow was on what he thought was outside the zone of the historic park area. He was un-aware that the state had purchased this adjoining parcel, only the previous year, for eventual plans to add more parking or whatever. The land had previously been city owned (and thus ok to hunt), and he was unaware that he was doing anything wrong. Try as he may, he couldn't talk the ranger out of the hundred dollar ticket.

Another fellow I know was hunting a historic federal military site near San Francisco. He got a little too brazen ..... and walked right on to an old parades ground. He got a ticket, but once again, a mere $150 or some silly nonsense. In that case, he probably should have known better (I mean, c'mon, a federal site ringed with historic buildings ::) )

In each of those cases, they involve not only state and federal sites, but parks and historic interpretive type parks as well. This info (or fear, or whatever) would have no bearing on city or county level sites. And to be honest with ...... probably have no bearing on most state and federal sites as well (barring obvious historical monuments). For example: I hunt a WWII era base near me all the time, as have scores of others, in full view of MPs, passing people, etc... with no problems. So the difference isn't always whether it's state (and what your state rules are) or federal, but it's also a little common sense of what type of site within those realms that they are.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I arrested some people for metal detecting once in a state park. We never had a problem with detectorists as it was permissable at the discretion of the park manager. We generally preferred they stay out of the occupied campgrounds, as it would be rude to walk around in someone's campsite detecting. The only incident was when some folks came up with a detector at a garage sale. They went out to the area of the community building, where we actually had a half way decent lawn going on. Never asked permission. They proceeded to dig every hit, and there was a lot of them apparently, with a long handled shovel. They would toss the trash aside and move on to their next excavation. It looked like a herd of armadillos had been there. I did not consider them real detectorists, and I feel like I did us all a favor when I nailed them for destruction of state property. I let them keep their detector. I've never encountered any problems detecting. I always check on local laws and ask somebody. The best thing is, I'm almost at the stage where I will be considered a 'harmless old man', and I will use that to my advantage, believe me.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not here :icon_thumleft: I agree with the other two statements already made. One, know where you are allowed to hunt and two, get permission if necessary. You do those two simple things you will have no problems for the most part.

B

BIG61AL

There are always going to be busy bodies, control freaks and nosey Rosie's. If any one gives me crap I'll just call the cops. Apparently the cops love to crack heads and taze people and are always looking for new friends.

Attachments

• taser.jpg
    taser.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 315

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I hunt the woods. Outa site and outa mind. :headbang:

With permission of coarse. :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big61Al, I never loved to crack heads and never owned a taser. I see there are some out there now that do, I guess.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
I supposed I could have been one time. Was vacationing in South Carolina with the family and we stopped to stay at a really small state park. Must have been about 1994. Being a very new detectorist and very iggnorrant (had to mispell it kept deleting) at that time I got the detector out. Few minutes later here came a ranger in full uniform to tell me it was illegal. He did say that I could detect anywhere below the water line (the water was down at that time) and suggested getting permission from a private land owner. Looking back, I was very fortunate that he was a reasonable guy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread