How often and how long do you metal detect?

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No easy answer to this question oh by the way welcome to tnet some great folks here. Personally I hunt all the spare time I have.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome, I have met a few members in person already and everyone here in all sense is good hearted people, what would you say is your average time spent?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola from Colorado by way of Oklahoma, HunterSteve. I don't really have a set schedule for detecting and the time I spend will vary, from 15 minutes to 4 or 5 hours. If I find somethin I think is pretty cool, then I'm there for a while. I'm pretty much shut down for detecting where I'm at now from about November to the middle of April, due to weather conditions. Yesterday, I went over to the local tot lot and found some change. I spent about 30 minutes. Last week, I was over at Half Moon Gulch and started finding a heavy concentration of 45 caliber lead balls in one area, and did a systematic search of the area. For about 5 or 6 hours. So the time I spend varies, as work will interfere with it sometimes.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try and detect at least twice a week between 5-6 hours. On days I can't be out the long an hour would be fine. I keep the short hunts for the kiddie parks.

S

stefen

Its like sex, it whenever I get the urge until the urge is satisfied.

The older I get, the span of time incr....never mind

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My main times is Sept thru April.....I don't like the vegitation, the insects and the heat.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Depends on how long my kitchen pass is good for then I usually exceed it by 2 hours. my average hunting is around 6 + hours

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt in the hot summer time. But I go out before daylight and stay until about 9:00 or until it gets too hot. I really love the fall but dang, it's rained so much and got cold so early this fall I haven't got to go as much. When my health is holding and I feel Ok, I'd guess about 12 hours a week. Monty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
stefen said:

Its like sex, it whenever I get the urge until the urge is satisfied.

The older I get, the span of time incr....never mind
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know stefen. What you're saying is it takes you all night to do what you use to do all night? :nono:
Monty

S

stefen

Monty said:
I know stefen. What you're saying is it takes you all night to do what you use to do all night? :nono:
Monty

Or a Confusius (or Monty) said:

Once a Knight, alway a knight
Once a Knight is enough

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to go every weekend but would settle for every other weekend, but don't always make it. It is about 1 hr 20 mins drive time for me to the closest beach with traffic.

I am primarily a water hunter, if there are any reports of errosion on the beaches I am "in route". If a sub tropical, or tropical storm or Nor-eastern is forcasted I am gone for the weekend.........................

wds

Greenie
Sep 1, 2008
Owensville ohio
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 4, BH quick draw 2,Whites 5900di, Minelab XT505
I'm retired, so I go as often as I can. With early life injuries, (war injuries, motorcycle wreck, stupid kid stuff) if I feel up to it, I go. Lately, have found others that have detectors, almost every day for about 3-4 hours.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big, fat zero..... >:(

Last time I was out was May 1st...probably a couple hours that day. Havent even been on T-net for a few months. Just didn't want to rub my own nose into my inability to get out.
I did renew my charter membership tho....would really hate to see this forum disappear while I was gone. :thumbsup:

Work just went crazy and decided to lay people off and work the few of us left to death. Besides my regular 40 hours, been working almost every weekend and still have to deal with emergency call outs in the middle of the night. I've just been plain old exhausted....my detector sitting in a corner by the front door...battery's probably dead. What's worse...I had just bought the machine in March...a new Vision to add to my arsenal. Pretty expensive to just sit in a corner collecting dust.
The little waking hours I do have....well...you know life. Have to shop, do laundry...all those basics...just dont leave much time for a hobby.

Hope the economy picks up soon. Really hate things right now.

Al

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As often as the weather and the wife (kitchen pass) allows me....

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HunterSteve said:
Just curious as I am new... reading posts seems to show some go daily for a hour or so while others go a couple times a week but for longer periods.. Please enlighten me.. Thanks
Steve
Both. For hours on end, when I can. For short jaunts, when that is all I can manage.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunts are long. I have gone 12 hours in a day. Just done one sunday for 9 hours. You either love this hobby and treat it like an addiction or you'll fall off in the cracks sooner or later. And I'm married, too :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread