luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't used the Garrett, but do have the DX-1 on an MXT and have extensive use of several other handhelds. As far as all out power and usefullness is concerned, the DX-1 beats the handhelds big time.
The only drawback is that it must be used with the detector it's designed for but the display works just like it does with the coil. As it is mounted on the detector, you can't forget it or leave it behind and it has considerably more power as it is using the detectors electronics.

The hand helds are nice in that you can use them with any detector, but can be left behind, forgotten or lost. Generally, most of the handhelds are underpowered although the Garrett, The Pistol Pro-Pointer and possibly one or two others have good depth.

If you have or plan to have several different models or brands of detectors, I'd go with the Garrett. If you're just going to use the DFX, bite the bullet and buy the DX-1, You'll love it.
HH
Bill

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess putting more weight on your DFX is up to you. After swinging my DFX I get tired. That is why I went with the Garrett Pin pointer.....Matt

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Ive used a vibraprobe for the last 3 years and was pretty happy with it thought it lacked depth. It gave up on me about a month ago and I scraped up the money to buy a sunray,its better than I hoped for,my recovery time has been cut dramatically so I dig more holes and find more stuff. I also dig a lot more iffy signals because I know I will recover the target in a very short time. Sure it adds a little weight but I never forget it,its one less thing to carry and the batteries never go dead,Sunray gets a big :thumbsup: from me.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both. They are both well built for the job. However, If I had the MXT or DFX I would go with the Sun-Ray. You can order a kit directly from Sun-Ray that will allow you to mount the probe on the detector box and that helps tremendously with the balance. Also if the probe is too "hot" and you can't determine where your target is a first you can do the following. Click the trigger on the detector 2-3 times and that will detune the probe so that it is only hot almost at the very tip thus making it easier to pinpoint. Good Luck.

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I love my Garrett Pro-Pointer, everyone wants to borrow it.
The last three guys that used mine bought one! I don't have
any experience with the Sunray but I understand its a very
good pinpointer too. The Garrett is built tough, nothing is
gonna break or snap off unless you really abuse it. The power
switch is just like a Maglite flashlight and the battery cover
screws on so it wont fall off like my old Bounty hunter pinpointer.
Its easy to clean under running water, Garrett suggests covering
the speaker hole with your thumb. It has a LED flashlight and takes
a single nine volt battery, it came with a nice holster. When I
ordered mine from Kellyco it came with some extras including
a coin probe, plastic digging tool and a pouch type thing to put
your finds in. I love mine it cuts down the time on finding things
big time.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread