Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if any one else has noticed ,but the Iron relics that have been posted as of late and that are Banner worthy

let not to mention historically significant to the U.S.A and Canada are just not getting top billing :-\ Is it not what we as

Historians of a sort , strive to share with our fellow Detector'ist our passion for history and its recovered relics , its also

sharing of knowledge and information and view points by others that answere the posts. I would really love to see some Iron

on the Banner finds so that the NONE RELIC HUNTERS can see and possibly expanded their world of Metal Detecting .

The Relic hunter digs it all , Coins and Iron and Brass and tons of whatsits are our calling. Please let some of our Iron make

the Banner in order to share our world with yours. Take a good look a Iron Patches post's and I.A Furtrade and Muddyhandz

Posts and those Lances / Pikes that was posted a few weeks ago. Great Banner material :icon_thumright: What do you think ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its the money value (silver and gold are thought of as hot --iron not so guess some folks do not know the real value of relics --psst lets keep it that way --less folks to compete with that way)--its always about the money in the end it seems --- hot girls get more attention too than the plain jane ones --although in the long haul the plain jane ones tend to make better wives.-- the world is just not fair at times it seems.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a real good iron find would make it, but don't see too many posted. I would definitely vote for a trade axe, or cannon ball, but some other things I would probably have to made to understand why it was banner worthy. For years I made the mistake of not digging big iron... not anymore!

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
YES, A Trade axe might do the trick :icon_thumleft: or a Cannon ball with the fuse still lit ;D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
YES, A Trade axe might do the trick :icon_thumleft: or a Cannon ball with the fues still :laughing7: lit
bro ya gonna blow up da page :laughing7:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do we really need $$$ types going after the iron stuff too? I am content to dig monetarily worthless hunks of rusty iron.

The guy who found a 14th Century handgonne, I don't believe that find made the banner. I would say a 14th Century handgonne is as remarkable as any find that I've seen make the banner.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sad when iron relics dont make the banner but a wedding engagement does .....just saying . ::)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone, but just the barrol of the handgonne doesn't seem that exciting to be put on the banner, if it was complete that would have been different. The barrol of an early colt nice but not that nice, an entire Colt Paterson revolver, even rusty, most certainly yes.................

If I am not mistaken, hasn't there been some swords found that made the banner?

Again no offense to any hunters. :icon_thumright:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone, but just the barrol of the handgonne doesn't seem that exciting to be put on the banner, if it was complete that would have been different.

No offense taken, at least by me ;D

I can understand that iron simply doesn't float some people's boat. In a way I am glad, because a lot of things have gotten ruined when they became all about money.

I guess it is a little weird that the one thing most are trying to AVOID finding, is the thing that some people deliberately go out and look for.

But I'm glad some other people on here really like the iron too.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
I voted for the lances, not that I would have dug them(unless by accident :D)but some of the iron finds look really good
when cleaned and preserved!
The Caltrop was another :icon_thumleft:

What about iron and brass. :'(

Attachments

• P1060783.JPG
    P1060783.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 256
I used to hate iron for a lot of years when I was a full time coin hunter. It was a signal I always ignored.
Still do ignore it. When I am in a really old spot, then I like iron. Like it a lot. It was an acquired taste.
But then all that cleaning, restoration/preservation to the point of blowing rusty snot out of my nose, I HATE IT!
But then I hold it in my hand and gaze back in time, I LOVE IT!
It is a love/hate relationship. But it's our best kept secret. :wink:
I would love to see someones iron up there. :thumbsup:
Dave.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hardy, I agree with you, iron can be wonderful. I guess the reason some finds such as the lances don't get up there very often is mostly because the average detectorist doesn't know just how rare and historic they are. It will change as coin finds become fewer, and more and more people will start appreciating relics out of necessity. It was this way in stamp collecting also many many years ago; the pretty stamp was cut from its cover, and the cover thrown away. Today it is those complete covers which are sought after, the obscure cancels, etc., partly because peope became educated about what they are. You just have to let it flow I guess, and meanwhile it is finds and the posts about them like your's that do the educating.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are happy with your finds whatever they may be what does it matter if it floats across the banner. In my little world every thing I find floats across my little banner bar at home.
Hardy I even floated your copper culture awls across it. :thumbsup:
TnMtns

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
rust we don't need no stinking rust :D ;D :D --- little do folks know the historical and in some cases fiscal value of some rusty items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread