How do you "grid search"?

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
How do you "grid search"?

I've heard some people refer to grid searching on here. I'm going to search an old 1 room school house in the middle of a 2 acre field tomorrow. My "technique" up until this point has been just to swing aimlessly. How would search to make the most of this area? I don't know if it's been searched before, I live in a pretty desolate area so I'd say there's a good chance it hasn't. Any thoughts?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How do you "grid search"?

Marlon Brando said:
I've heard some people refer to grid searching on here. I'm going to search an old 1 room school house in the middle of a 2 acre field tomorrow. My "technique" up until this point has been just to swing aimlessly. How would search to make the most of this area? I don't know if it's been searched before, I live in a pretty desolate area so I'd say there's a good chance it hasn't. Any thoughts?
I use non-metallic stakes and bright pink cord. I tie a convenient length of this cord (15 feet) between two of the stakes. Then I tie one end of a second cord of the same length to one of the first stakes - which then becomes the pivot. Finally, attach a stake to the tag ed of the third cord.

In use, you shove the pivot stake into the ground and stretch out the other two stakes at 90 degree angles to the pivot. Now you have made two sides of a square. This will guide you and keep you on track. Once this "square grid" covered thoroughly, you swing one or the other of the stakes around the pivot to begin the next grid block. Keep this up, ad nauseum, until the area is covered completely.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I bought some nylon kite string and 4 large lag screws as anchors. I stretched one out 50 feet and the other the same with about a 3 foot width. After you make one pass, pull out the stakes move it over 3 feet and repeat. Nothing fancy but it neted me a beautiful 1853 Braided LC that I had missed on previous hunts

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I made this just for fun...

SEARCHES.jpg

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds