S.C. gold mine town info

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foun some info on lost gold town.town name was Mayucha some where in Oconee county was a town with post office but long gone now.web link does not work.
#
The South Carolina Gold Museum
136 chastain st
pickens,s.c. 29671
864-878-8115
E-mail: ken sams
http://goldmuseum.home.mindspring.com

Our specialties:
# history, gold, mining, mayucha, south carolina
#

#

We are looking for anything that has a post mark of Mayucha,S.C. this town existed in the upstate of South Carolina around the years 1850 until 1907. Look around old post cards or family letters. It may also have been spelled, Miuka or Mayuka Your help is greatly appreciated.

ken sams

Mar 27, 2012
Pickens,s.c.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the town of mayucha was in existance from around 1858 until around 1907. the old post office building was moved to the tamassee dar school campus. its a very small shed about 2 times the size of an outhouse.
it closed in 1907 because mr moody who was the postmaster there did not take in enough money to get paid so the postoffice closed it down and redirected all the mayucha mail to the tamassee post office.
the old town of mayucha has been located and its in the national forest, the remaining buildings were torn down by the forest service so that they would not have to rebuild it as a tourists area as per congerss laws that were passed ordering such actions.
mayucha was a gold mining town and there are many old gold mines there:
the kuthmans mine
the jessie lay mine, and his old home site
and many other unnamed mines.
there is also an arasta in one location and also the remains of an old hammer mill
there is still ample gold to be found at these locations by panning and metal detecting.
there is also what looks like to be a volcano opening near this town and there is much evidence to substanciate its existance.
like diamonds founf in the immediate area and many other things.
there is also an indian cave (ceremonial meeting place) as verified by the forest service indian expert. of course they didnt know it existed until i took them to it.

I also have some information on a town called HUNTER south carolina that is also in oconee county, the postoffice/general store should still be standing at the center of town.

i do have gps coordinates on all locations located on topo maps for the following areas.

the dorn mines (not the commerical sites that mccormick county takes you to.)
the calhoun mines in clemson.
the kuthmans mine
the sitton mine in seneca
the jessie lay mine in salem
the amethist mine in dew west
and several others that have captured my interest over the years.

i also have been told a story about the indian mine that hernando desoto was being taken to in the year 1539.
anyone interested in any of this info please email me and provide a phone number so i can call you.

if you are calling from a government agency please state so in your email back to me. I am govenrment friendly i just want to know so i can get you exactly on the X marks spot.
thanks ken sams
[email protected]
NO IT IS NOT OK TO SEND ME ADVERTISEMENTS AT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
unless you have a metal detector or sluice box for sale cheap.

hammer115

May 19, 2012
oconee county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in Oconee County and have heard of Miuka Falls. It is locted near Cherry Hill Rec area, not far off of what used to be called Winding Stairs Rd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread