Finding a cache in Germany

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Ryan88 said:
What are the rules when finding treasure or artifacts in Germany? Buried & on top of the ground?
1. Without the consent of the owner it is impossible to search on its earth.
2.It is necessary to obtain the permit from archeologists of area where you wish to search

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
When I was in germany and turning in corroded steel clad coins
at the bank they tried to impose the 5 mark rule and seize the
coins. I had a card printed up in german that told the teller that
these coins were found individually by a metal detector and that
they were not all found in one container which solved the problem.
good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Kamgort, where do you get that German md'r hobbyists have to get "permission from archaeologists" there? There are lots of German hobbyists who detect no problem.

But I suspect it's the same thing if German hobbyists were exchanging on a German forum, and someone asks another: "can you detect in the USA?" you would probably also see them answer each other the same exact way: "no you can't, unless you ask the american archaeologists for permission, lest you be arrested blah blah". Why? Because they probably read about Mel Fisher's hassles, or heard of ARPA and federal stuff, Bodie, Shiloh, etc.... What other conclusion could they come to? Doh! Yet we all know there's lots of places to detect here, no problem. Is that to say if you asked enough bureaucrats "can I detect at the city sandbox?" that you might not hear "no". But if you just went, no one probably cares less.

As an example, I sold a machine to a fellow from Spain (who responded to my internet classified ad). In the dealings to sell and ship the machine, I couldn't help but ask him "I thought md'ing was illegal there?" (I had surmised this by reading a website which listed all the md'ing laws of each European country, and Spain was amongst the more dire sounding ones). The fellow said that the laws you read about only apply to historical monuments, or federal type land, and that there is nothing to stop you from detecting farmers fields with permission (like the English do all the time) to your heart's content. Or quite frankly, he said they detect so far out in the woods, there's no one to complain or notice to begin with. ::)

If I found a cache in Germany, I'd certainly keep it and not be a sore thumb with questions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why raise problems for yourself by asking for permission to detect first. If it is against the law someone may tell you while you are detecting. Tom is right, many times the first time you ask if you may detect, it is very easy to just say NO.

Enjoy your detecting, but watch out for ordinance buried in the soil.

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Tom_in_CA said:
Kamgort, where do you get that German md'r hobbyists have to get "permission from archaeologists" there? There are lots of German hobbyists who detect no problem.

But I suspect it's the same thing if German hobbyists were exchanging on a German forum, and someone asks another: "can you detect in the USA?" you would probably also see them answer each other the same exact way: "no you can't, unless you ask the american archaeologists for permission, lest you be arrested blah blah". Why? Because they probably read about Mel Fisher's hassles, or heard of ARPA and federal stuff, Bodie, Shiloh, etc.... What other conclusion could they come to? Doh! Yet we all know there's lots of places to detect here, no problem. Is that to say if you asked enough bureaucrats "can I detect at the city sandbox?" that you might not hear "no". But if you just went, no one probably cares less.

As an example, I sold a machine to a fellow from Spain (who responded to my internet classified ad). In the dealings to sell and ship the machine, I couldn't help but ask him "I thought md'ing was illegal there?" (I had surmised this by reading a website which listed all the md'ing laws of each European country, and Spain was amongst the more dire sounding ones). The fellow said that the laws you read about only apply to historical monuments, or federal type land, and that there is nothing to stop you from detecting farmers fields with permission (like the English do all the time) to your heart's content. Or quite frankly, he said they detect so far out in the woods, there's no one to complain or notice to begin with. ::)

If I found a cache in Germany, I'd certainly keep it and not be a sore thumb with questions.
In this regard, to find in Germany. My advice to my friend who lives in Germany..

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Tom in CA has always been a bold fellow.
...and I'm surprised at the Sandman.

Not-with-standing they are factually correct that easiest response to any question is NO.

I HAVE been before the judge who sternly advised me that 'ignorance of the law is no excuse'.

SOME people are luckier than others... I'm not one of those.

Make a decision if you are willing to accept the consequences if called to the bar !

Good luck
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread