Transporting MD on an airplane.... Rules?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Florida
    Fischer F70
    39 times

Transporting MD on an airplane.... Rules?

I will be traveling soon to a location that I want to take my detector with me via airplane. For obvious reasons, there is no way I am putting it in my checked luggage. My unit breaks down fairly easily and I want to carry it on. Is there anything that I need to be aware of when doing this? Any tips or suggestions to avoid problems or hassles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1050 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Transporting MD on an airplane.... Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    None I know of, I flew to Panama, El Salvador, Russia, Namibia, Turkey and Sud Afrika a few years ago and had no problems..
    They will want to turn it on, so pack the batteries with it.
    Seems like the rules for flying change almost on a daily basis now (creating jobs) so I would check with the carrier a least a week before your flight. I think Spooky may be right on the money as far as things stand now, better safe than sorry.

Whatever you do, don't draw attention to yourself like I did. I had my machine on and was checking everyone that passed by me and giving the security guards a and a big

Just doing my civic duty

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    129 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Check it out.

In a nutshell and to the point.

No problems on an airline I do it when I travel via Jet. none.

Here's the serious problem:

The boneheads that pack our luggage.....They would love to hurl your detector a minimum of 30 yards.
    I am serious.'
    Ask my expensive REPAIRED bonehead neglected Gold machine that was snapped in half a few years ago.

Here's the solution:

Get a cheap snowboard travel case
    Pack the machine in the case.
    Surround the machine with whatever. Blanket, pillows etc..

Let the boneheads play football.

It's one of the few solutions that truly work.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29606 times

Same as the others, I have taken mine in my carry on. I just finished a Sunray S-12 mod on an Excal that I plan to take in my carry on bag when I go to Arizona.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    129 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    Same as the others, I have taken mine in my carry on. I just finished a Sunray S-12 mod on an Excal that I plan to take in my carry on bag when I go to Arizona.
    Heck, we should meet up! lol

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    837 times

I have flown from Ohio to California,and back with not problem...carried on! (new state of the art hand held-no coil). The insurance coverage for checked luggage is minimal if you carry on you have more control. As i went thru the xray checking they were curious about it but lost interest as soon as I told them it was a MD. Got an extra personal going over with the wand but that's a small price to pay...and I do not mind, I am glad they are very thorough.

Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    Nov 2008
    Ellenton, Florida
    Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
    23 times

I traveled with mine all through the 80's and up until 2007. I have only had a problem once. A lady friend traveling with us jokingly said something to a customs agent going into Bonaire that, "That man has something in his bag with wires and strange looking things on it." Needless to say I was pulled aside and my luggage was gone through with an intensive attitude. She was joking around but I got her back. Leaving I told a guard that she had some fruit and sponges. She nearly missed the plane. I guess the stripsearch took a little extra time because she looked so fine. What's it they say about "Paybacks"?
    Count Your Blessings but Remember Your Dreams!

Apr 2005
    Snohomish Area
    Whites, Minelab

[quote=dadoftwogirls ]
    I will be traveling soon to a location that I want to take my detector with me via airplane. For obvious reasons, there is no way I am putting it in my checked luggage. My unit breaks down fairly easily and I want to carry it on. Is there anything that I need to be aware of when doing this? Any tips or suggestions to avoid problems or hassles would be greatly appreciated.

the 1st time I took my detector with me was a month after 9-11 I went to the balloon fest in NEW Mexico

I put my detector in my carry on stuff and have never had a problem with anything missing, or broken
    I had toturn on my hand held once to show them it worked aqnd I had a scanner with me but I told them I could not turn it on because the power cord was packed I might be going to Dayton in May and well take it with me
    happiness is a cold toilet seat in a public restroom

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Satellite Beach
    Minelab Excal 1000
    139 times

In my line of work, I'm on the move constantly, and my Excal 1000 goes with me all most everywhere I go. I recommend a Pelican 1750 long weapons case.
    Make sure you get a different color case for your gun. You don't want the customs guys in the Bahamas asking why you are bringing an M-4 into there country on you vacation.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1750-L.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	392369  

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links