Treasure hunting a cannon.

mac762

Nov 18, 2007
I was driving by the WWI cannon in a local park yesterday. The barrel is pointing up at the sky at about a 30 degree angle.
I was watching some kids play on it and they were looking down the barrel. So I said to my Sister, "Do you think I'd find anything cool if I stuffed my magnet down that barrel. She says "I don't know, but we used to roll coins down the barrel for good luck." I freaked out when she said this. (She grew up in the town I didn't.) She says "people always have."
I don't know exactly how long the cannon has been there, but I know we drove by it in the early 70's, when I was a kid.
Now I'm just wondering what kind of device I'm gonna use to try and see what's down there. I'm probably gonna go there this evening and peek down the barrel with a flash light. Probably full of trash.
Maybe I'll tell the city I want to clean out the barrel and put a cap on it to keep it from rusting. :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe tie a magnet to the end of a broomstick (notched or not) and see what you pull up.
Or maybe tie a strong hook onto the broomstick end to first remove debris.
I'm looking forward to reading about/seeing what you retrieve.

OP
OP
M

mac762

Nov 18, 2007
The shop vac sounds like one option. I'm gonna go peek down the barrel when it's dark with my mag light. The cannon sits on the main street of the town.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what's the best tool for retrieval, but really like the concept.
luvsdux

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could get a magnet down there, (it might stick to the barrel) I don't think you're going to pull out any coins. If it's breech-loading just open it and let everything fall out. Shop-vac sounds the way to go. Pretty cool post, as I would have never thought of checking a spot like that.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take an old broom or mop handle and make a duplicate barrel cleaner / ramrod. Wrap the end in old rags and wrap that with duck tape turned sticky side out and use that to stick to the trash and or coins. Repeat this until all stuff is out. Just keep rapping with fresh tape when the old sticky isn't sticky anymore. Do Dah, Do, Dah. LOL

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has the potential to be a cool thread displaying the best of redneck ingenuity. If you posted under 'Have you ever dropped your car keys in a porta-potty and how did you get them out?' you might get even way more better ideas.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
You have it about right! This worked for me to rob a wishing well when I was a kid. Get a stick the right length, then bend and tie a table spoon to it. Dip and pull in the loot. :-)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little black powder a greased softball,
clear the primer hole prime and light.
Then you can chase the softball and hopefully hunt out of the city park. :tongue3:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Use extreme caution when trying to find out what's down in there. I am extremely allergic to yellow jacket wasps, and you would never catch me doing something stupid like that. Wait until it is really dark out, then return with a couple cans of wasp spray, empty both cans in the barrel, then run like hell. You spray at night, because all insects will be in there. Come back the next night to clean it out..........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread