Weirdest Thing

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Animal collar from a dead and buried pet. This I found out later is fairly common among MD users who search home yards like I do. It's kinda creepy. Especially if the former owner sees you lifting Fluffy's "jingles" out of the ground.

OT

OP
OP
daltonvz

daltonvz

Sep 14, 2010
Iowa
That is very strange! I know there is more out there come on guys lets here it!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold Ring with stone cut out

Attachments

• NC FINDS 9-12 013 001.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-12 013 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 901
  • NC FINDS 9-12 013 001.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-12 013 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 895

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the neighbors dog tag! makes you think your dad shot the neighbor dog long a go.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a large cent.... but it was the circumstances. We started a field, each at opposite ends, and I said I'll meet you in the middle for the 8 reale. About 45 minutes later after each doing the grid thing making our way to the center, we were about one second away from our coils being close enough to sound off, and I got a hit. But it wasn't an 8 reale, just a large cent.

OP
OP
daltonvz

daltonvz

Sep 14, 2010
Iowa
Wow that ring is crazy!!

Sorry i really dont know what an 8 reale is....sorry :-[

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daltonvz said:
Wow that ring is crazy!!

Sorry i really dont know what an 8 reale is....sorry :-[

Spanish dollar which was a common coin in circulation in America during the early days.

Attachments

• 8r018_large.jpg
    8r018_large.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 791

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wierdest find turned out to be one of my true treasures. I was hunting around a large oak in NC, in the early '90s. I found what I thought was a rusty key ring that turned out to be a wedding band from Civil War days. At first I kicked it aside. Then I went back and found it to be gold plated silver. Gold does not rust.... neither does silver but the amalgam that binds the two does. I was told that during the CW war, gold was given up "for the cause" so if you wanted a gold wedding band, you usually got gp-silver. The man that wore this ring, I still have it, was a very hard working man as most of the gold around the outside had worn off, exposing the silver underneath. I made the local paper. BTW: a good way to get people to let you hunt their yards is "promote" yourself. Do up a press release when you find jewelry of high value. "That guy that found the ring" will get alot of people calling you! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steelheadwill said:
Will, I don't think the owner of this ring cut the stone out. More likely, he OUTGREW it and had to cut it off. Just my thoughts. TTC

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
TerryC said:
steelheadwill said:
Will, I don't think the owner of this ring cut the stone out. More likely, he OUTGREW it and had to cut it off. Just my thoughts. TTC

Terry, this was my thought. Or maybe someone injured a finger and the thing swelled. Had to get the doctor to snip the ring off so as not to restrict blood flow. This happened to my dad years ago on spraining a finger. The hospital has a special tool just to snip wedding bands and other rings and not hurt the patient. Once you pop a wedding band they spring open a little bit. Just like in the photo. I don't think a stone and setting was removed at all. I think this is a man's wedding band cut to remove.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
I once found an old rusty plastic and metal set of toy train tracks, with a couple of flatcars. (it was from around the late sixties to the early seventies), I made a post about it some time ago, i called it the "underground railroad" find. LOL.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
A double ended silicone and plastic male extremity, in the woods at a well known Detroit park. Only hunt there because the park is way over 100 years old and have made many nice finds there. Just so happens others use the park for other nefarious uses.......NGE

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I haven't been detecting a long time only about two weeks but on my first hunt I found a peice of sheet metal that was in the shape of the batman symble when I unfolded it.

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a tooth with a filling in it at the old high school site (torn down in 1962). It was 8 inches deep and showed as a nickel/ring. Kind of gross but still neat. I can imagine two teens back in the 50's duking it out and one getting a tooth knocked out.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead cat in a plastic bag. Dead body buried at the beach....turned out to be a ladies wig.Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread