Things I wish I had done when I started metal detecting?

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like some of the others, I just wish I had started earlier in life. I have wanted a metal detector since I first saw one, many moons ago. Off and on through the years I would see a detector advertised or in a store and think, "I ought to get that", but, never did. A few months ago, while on my first vacation in 50 years, I saw an episode of Meteor Men and that was it. Did a little research on detectors and the F75 in particular and ordered one.....my very first detector. Now I am truly obsessed with the hobby!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started this hobby, I once used brasso metal polish on some coins I dug up - I thought if I made them shiney, they would sell for a better price...... :D

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started over 40 years ago,
and while my memories of the early days are a bit fuzzy now,
I don't believe I'd change anything.
Sure I've made mistakes in one way or another,
but in the long run it all works out.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I wish I had found this forum earlier than I did, even before I got my md, I've learned more from reading this site than from amywhere else.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
wish i would of detected more of those places i kept putting off, now those places are either built over or off limits.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am super new at detecting.....but my wish would have been-----wishing I found this site before I bought my detector. I might have gotten just a tad better even tho I was just starting out.

My wish in a way has been granted because I found this site fast....and since I am super new and learning....well I got great info and people's experiences to help me along. I will surely save time hunting, somewhere to ask "what is this" thing questions, where to find good treasures, and get good product tested info. Lucky me :icon_sunny:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I would have asked for a Metal detector In 1975 instead of a Bike!!! I would have several less injuries and more coins, silver, and gold!!!Only been detecting a little over 2.5 years!!!!! yes Im 46 now

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
I wish I would have asked for a Metal detector In 1975 instead of a Bike.......................yes Im 46 now

I agree, I have a friend who started back in the '70's - he's kept every single ring, coin, CW relic he's ever dug up.....his "man cave" resembles a museum, packed full of old mason jars of coins, bullets, sabers, pieces of flintrock rifles and numerous framed and stacked display cases full of beautiful artifacts of our past. He always tells me the good ole days of metal detecting are long gone.

We're the same age :wink:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"yes Im 46 now"

You guys are still puppies! Turn those numbers around and you have my age. I have wanted a detector since I saw my first one (can't even remember when that was), but, waited until 3 months ago to get one...stupid me. I'm just happy that I did and even more happy that I jumped in with both feet and bought an F75. I find the F75 to be quite easy to learn...very intuitive and user freindly, one just needs to become familiar with what it is 'saying.' The All Metal Motion mode is my favorite, however, the Disc is nice when needed (I just like to listen for that 'special' sound, ;D) No regrets and I love this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread