Things I wish I had done when I started metal detecting?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me, learning about local history is what got me into metal detecting. I learned about an indian village nearby (which now has an interstate running through it). Also, a couple 18th century military expeditions that came through the area. Have a book with maps and journals. Before I had a detector, I would hike around in hopes of finding something from one of these expeditions. Then I had a bright idea that maybe a metal detector would help and viola! So, I always get excited whenever I dig a lead ball in one of these areas. Still hunting for a button or buckle. Something that can be dated with some accuracy. I have found a tool used to clean the touch hole of a musket that matches one from the 18th century. Also, a ball mold. But I think it may date later. If I get a collection of stuff I'll probably eventually donate it to a local museum which houses some artifacts from Ohio's only Revolutionary War fort. It's nice to hunt an area that has some history regardless if I find anything that day or not. Just being in the same place where indians, pioneers, and soldiers once walked is neat enough.

-Swartzie

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had bought a Garrett machine FIRST! (Would've saved a bunch of money.)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with a simple detector, learn the basics, then move up.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take lots of pictures of land,fields and woods before they get developed,also learn how to use google maps better,talk to the old timers who use to live where you want to detect now.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had tried harder (sometimes tried at all) to gain permission for some sites that others got years later.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say more pictures too, should of went out more,worked it harder :icon_thumleft:

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got into water hunting, would have been much more productive for gold and silver.
While everyone was concentrating on land, could have been one of the few across the country
hunting the water. Basically still virgin territory. I went water in 1979-, found my first virgin beach.
A gold ring every 15 minutes, ended up with around 70 the first 5 days. Countless silver rings,
jewelry, quart jar of silver coins, 5 gallon pail of junk. Haven't found a beach like that since.
Got close tho. Back in '82, State Park beach, had only two hours to water hunt. There were signals
every 3 feet. Coins. Decided to make a return trip two weeks later. When we did, barely a signal.
The Park ranger came over to talk to us and told us there were two guys water hunting from out
of state for the entire week before....................ooooh well. :(

S

stefen

Monty said:
I wish I had more knowledge of history . I wish I had studied books on coins. I wish I had more time to do it. Next? Monty

History is the key word...

Researching a find makes history come alive and is more meaningful than reading a dull text. :coffee2:

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
I just wish I'd started when I was younger...Back in the 60's. But noooooooo...I had to start rodeoing. Paying for it now...snap, crackle and pop. Oh well

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
I sometimes wish I never stopped fly fishing

You sinner! :laughing7:

I use to load up my touring kayak with fly rod and metal detector all the time........those days were my heaven! :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigscoop said:
4-H said:
I sometimes wish I never stopped fly fishing

You sinner! :laughing7:

I use to load up my touring kayak with fly rod and metal detector all the time........those days were my heaven! :thumbsup:
I still have my Fly rods.....And my vice to tie. I just took a break...LOL

After fishing the Madison, I kind of got spoiled you know?

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
i wish I had started years earlier when silver coins were the norm everywhere you detected.All they had to contend with then were bottle caps.Sure,the detectors dd not discriminate well,if at all, but almost everything you would dig were either silver or wheat pennies,wow. rockhound

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I would have hung on to all the silver from when I first started to hunt. Cashed in all I had amassed in the mid 80's when gold spiked to record highs. I guess back in the day you just take for granted there aren't too many detectorists out and about and silver abounded. I never knew there'd be an internet or silver was going to be so scarce to come by any more.

I guess too I wish I never got married that second time too. That sure screwed up my detecting for a few years. :BangHead:

Al

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I wish I had not got married that first time! But the second was a charm. Still going at 39 years!
I also wish I had started earlier but I had other interests. I shot military bolt action rifles in matches and was 2nd or 3rd in the state once upon a time. But then my eyesight got to where it wasn't acute enough to shoot championship class and it lost some of the challenge. But metal detecting has filled the gap. Monty

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H,

I still fly fish, it was my overriding passion for a long time and when I'm not fishing in the dirt, I'm fishing a tailwater somewhere. Just wish my relic hunting success was anywhere near as good as my fly fishing. I've about given up on relic hunting a few times. Lately, I'm working on going to the last few possibles on my list and then I'm gonna start hunting early homesites. At homesites I usually go home with something, even if its not CW period.

To keep with the thread, I wish, feverently wish I had stuck with MDing the first time. I met a guy down the street in our neighborhood in the 70s that was into it and went to a detecting meeting even. I then bought a cheap whites machine, but quickly got discouraged (I was 13) with digging nails and rusty metal. Took it to the beach and found a few old coins, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. Too bad Virginia was 5 hours away or maybe I could have gotten into relic hunting during the golden age. Sigh...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I would have stuck with my very first passion in life....."treasure hunting"......and actually gone to school and earned a degree or two. But back then, I never dreamed the laws would change as they have. If only I would have had a crystal ball back then!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread