Land Owner Contracts. NE 1 here have one to share with me?

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm sure someone will pop on with example contracts. From the simple, to the complex. But let me say, that unless the landowner themselves brings up & wants such a thing, then I wouldn't bother. It's the fastest way to get a "no". Because ........... think of it: what would YOU do if a total stranger shows up at your door with a contract for you to sign? ::)

Best just to go verbal, and a friendly handshake.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom on this "contract" issue.

Think about it. You are minding your own business and a total stranger comes up to you and asks about "looking" for things on your property, even has a contract handy so that we are all "protected". I would be thinking, "What does this person know about my property that I don't? Is there some huge treasure here they don't want to tell me about? etc".

I'd go with a simple, humble request. The most I would do is print up some business cards and don't make them too professional looking. If they turned me down I'd offer them a card in case they had second thoughts.

But, I like simple. :thumbsup:

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
If you really want one I would check with some of the European members. They have been dealing with land contracts for a long time because they have to if they want a place to hunt and probably have them pretty much perfected. I don't think I would use the word (treasure). I know if I owned farmland with some intersting history and I did not detect. The only way you would get on my property would be with a contract. If you used the word treasure I would start thinking, hmmm, does this guy have some info about treasure on my property? You could always go the make the aquaintence route, friendly, hadshake etc. and if you felt like you needed the contract to push it on through, bring it out then. You are right though, the contract protects both of you. You find a hoard and he says, get the hell off my land and your not taking anything with you, then what do you do? In the end I would say they are not needed and would turn most people off and it's not likely you are going to find a hoard of saxon gold in the US. But, if you are on to some real treasure trove stuff then you may want a contract

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread