Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Can your co-worker ID the person in the pic? (trying to get an idea of the pic's age).
A sharp pic of the signature would help.
Also, is there any information (tags, labels, receipts, etc.)taped to the back of the pic/frame?
Reminds me of pics from the 20-30s.
Don.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The signature is usually in the lower right corner although some artist signed in the lower left corner. Some artist believe it or not signed their work in the center of the back of the painting. some framers would mount this style with a square opening in the center of the painting. If it's valuable, you can find it in the library. They have books that show the works of the best. Good luck.

The frame doesn't look real old. The face portion is good the artist knew how to paint but he got sloppy on the dress. I can't get the whole picture on my screen and the photo is of low quality so it's hard to pull more info from it.

OP
OP
S

strongkindredspirit

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2005
sorry about the bad photography .. .darn cell phones. I spoke to the owner and this is what she has said. It appears to be E Seith as the signature. She believes Her Aunt got it in New York probably shortly after they arrived from Germany in the late 1930's. A local antiques dealer here in Canada has offered 2000 dollars but really doesn't know ( or isn't saying ) much about information regarding the painting. If it is of cultural significance she intends to donate to the Art Gallery rather than sell anything. Your information is greatly appreciated

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
possibly a german painter? Its been awhile since art history class, but the style seems to me at least to be somewhere between 1910 and 1940.

It is interesting that the artist didn't put much into the dress, when clearly they could have. Maybe the person who comission them put a rush order on the work. I know personally when I paint the horrific things i call art that i start with the head first then move on to the rest.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
strongkindredspirit said:
I spoke to the owner and this is what she has said. It appears to be E Seith as the signature. She believes Her Aunt got it in New York probably shortly after they arrived from Germany in the late 1930's.

zerojinx said:
possibly a german painter? Its been awhile since art history class, but the style seems to me at least to be somewhere between 1910 and 1940.

The only info on "E. Seith" I've come across is as follows:

Eduard Seith, German artist, lived 1887-? He had 2 paintings sell at auction in 2001 and 2004 (neither is your painting). Links to both:

http://www.artnet.com/artists/lotdetailpage.aspx?lot_id=C3C33F0503FA0B13C54E4FBFA4600A8F

http://web.artprice.com/ps/artitems.aspx?view=all&idarti=MTk5NDU1NTg0MTI5MTkzLQ==&page=1&refGenre=A

Both sites require a paid subscription to obtain any further info. In checking for E Seith in artnet's list of known artists, he was the only E Seith listed. Hope it will help you along the way...

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Maybe it is Eduard Veith. Austrian 1856-1925-

http://translate.google.com/transla...ikipedia&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS369&prmd=ivnso

Some of his art for sale-

http://www.wilnitsky.com/scripts/redgallery1.dll/advsearch?d=311&a=0&ps=20

Eduard Veith (1856 Neutitschein - 1925 Vienna) was a renowned Austrian artist of the turn of the 20th century. After having completed his studies as pupil of Laufberger at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts, Veith continued studying in Paris. His specialties were large plafond and wall paintings, as well as frescos with mythological and historical subject matters. These works can be found in various famous buildings in Vienna and Prague. Veith was also a reputable and popular painter of female portraits

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a dealer is offering $2000 for it, they are thinking that they could get anywhere from $8 to 10K for it then. Have her check around to see what she could get it insure fo then that would give her a good guess on what it wourth.......Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions