Metal detectors seem to be over priced

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I've been in this hobby since 1968, and the machines back then if you got 3" depth you had a deep seeking machine, but still we found thousands of coins with those old machines, as coins were every where and you could find silver coins 2" deep. My father-in-law and I met a old fella that claimed he paid for his new van with just the pennies he found. That was a lot of pennies even back then.

Aside from a couple water detectors I've owned I don't know if I've ever completely paid for one of my machines. Maybe in the late seventies or early eighties when silver got up to 20 times face I sold off a bunch of sterling that up till then you couldn't give away. I might have made enough to pay for the metal detector I owned then.

In 1968 we had no VLF ground cancelling machines, we had no discrimination, we had no machines that operated in multiple frequencies, we had no iron eliminating, auto ground balancing, audio tone identifying metal detectors. But today you need all those advances as the coins are much deeper and mixed in with a lot of trash and you need ever advantage you can get to get down to them.

Yes the machines cost more today but without the advances they have made in technology you might just as well stay home.

Rick

gringoo

Feb 15, 2011
Joe Hoo? said:
Smudge said:
Of course, if anyone can think of another hobby where the equipment has even a possibility of paying for itself, I'd love to hear of it, 'cause I'm drawing a blank. :wink:

i can attest to the fact that i have made huge amounts of money on another hobby of mines and the equipment paid for itself in 2 months i spent over $1200.00 on glass and all accesories needed to move forward with my stain glass hobby and the first 2 months i sold about $4000.00 in stained glass work i did.. i am reaping nothing but rewards as we speak.. HH :icon_thumleft:

how many times did you cut your fingers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions