Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I don't know......I figure I'll have mine payed off with my finds in another......ummmm........ten years?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if we want to play we have to pay. I guess it is like the pro fishingmen they pay 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a pole and then spend hat much on a reel. Plus they spend 18 to 20 K on a boat.

My first detector was paided for in around 3 yrs. then my 2ND was paid off in 2 yrs. I am now working on about the 6 detector that I have own and all the others was paided off. So far on my new Ecal I have found around a 1/3 of what I have paided for it. So if all goes the same as my other detectors I will have it paid for in another 2 yrs.

Then you have to look what the other electronics dose for you they don't give you anything back that is worth anything. What other electronics with help you find gold, silver and other metals.....Matt

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
Oh, I don't know......I figure I'll have mine payed off with my finds in another......ummmm........ten years?

How long will it take your TV to pay for itself? Just kidding. My detectors NEVER pay for themselves. I have to go out and do the hunting! Lazy machines! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:

Unfortunately this is part of the reason.

Most consumer electronics do not pay for themselves.

The ones that do are DJ Sound boards
& Sound boards used by Groups.

So they cost alot too.

Then you have detectors
& The value of Gold & Silver
So the manufacturers soak us
to make sure some of our Finds
values end up in their pockets :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

no matter if a detector costs $1500
0r $150,
or if they produce 10,000 or 100 a day,

I Doubt any of them cost more then $100 a piece in parts

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the smaller volume of sales plus the fact that the decent machines are mostly made in the US is a big factor. There's a much larger market for tvs, cd players, cell phones etc. to fill and there fore there are manufacturers all over the world, but especially in Japan, China, Korea etc. turning them out by the millions and by low priced labor to boot. Plus, the cost of development, factory tooling, labor etc. is spread over that smaller volume I mentioned and, of course, they do have to make a profit or they won't be building any detectors for sale.
luvsdux

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must say that, in reality, my detector and the associated tools (digger, pouch, tool belt, pin pointer, etc.) have all paid for themselves many times over with their entertainment and exercise value! I have bought many things in my life (many for a LOT more money) that did not bring me enjoyment even close to what my detector has provided! I sincerely love this hobby and only wish I had taken it up many years ago.

I didn't buy my detector with the expectation of having it pay for itself in 'finds'.......if it does, however, that would be just icing on the cake!!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many houses in your town have a TV, and how many have a MD? Think a MD is expensive... but an Infrared camera...

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S.S.Tupperware said:
How many houses in your town have a TV, and how many have a MD? Think a MD is expensive... but an Infrared camera...

Ooooo, those are a bit pricey! I did see a few that were in the same range with a Fisher F75 LTD, but, I think they were probably the cheapo units, where the F75 is one of the better detectors

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
How much do people who are semi-serious about other hobbies spent on their kit?
A very good mountain bike/bmx -with helmet,pads,riding shirt n shorts,gloves etc?
A complete skiing/snowboarding outfit,and then throw in skilift passes and even helicopter hire sometimes?
Cold and warm water wetsuits and everything associated for scuba diving?
Coarse fishing/angling (the European way) can cost an absolute fortune!
Skydiving/basejumping..inc what it costs to get there etc!

I think you'll find most of those will cost a lot more than what we pay for our detecting in the long run, and they all give the same things we (most of us) get from detecting - thrills,spills,excitement,fun,laughter,happiness,satisfaction and an all around good feeling!
What they don't give to their participants (in a purely "hobby" stance) is Gold, Silver,cash or the absolute jaw dropping awe of holding something that has been lost,dropped or thrown away and not been held or touched in a couple of hundred years (USA) or a few thousand years (UK & Europe)!

Our hobby holds more than it's own rewards.Your friend can show you the biggest fish you've ever seen that he caught, but it pales in significance when you hand him that union or CSA belt buckle or a coin dropped 2000 years ago by a Roman legionary!

My opinions anyhow! ;D

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Dano Sverige said:
... and not been held or touched in a couple of hundred years (USA) or a few thousand years (UK & Europe)!

Or even in a few decades on the Pacific Westcoast. :laughing9:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well said, Dano.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind paying a little more if their made in america,it's those ones that are made overseas I don't like spending the extra $$ on. :icon_scratch:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
...Then stay at the back of the pack! :hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Dano.

How much does a fisherman spend on on his hobby? Rods, reels, tackle. The bass boats are rather expensive too.$$

Recreational Boating Jet Ski, ski boats, pontoon boats? $$$ ( Boats are a hole in the water you pour money into.)

Golf is another hobby that can be expensive, clubs, bags, shoes, green fees, golf carts.$

Hot Rods and show cars...$$$$

Harley Bikes...$$$

Hot Air Balloons..$$$$

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same for me that a hobby costs money regardless of what hobby you choose......and it is never just the cost of the "main" hobby equipment----it is the side goodies that add up. Pinpointer, digging tools, etc. Just like any hobby, the products are out there to purchase, you get to pick and choose how much you are willing to spend.

Everyone has their own love of a hobby---so that monster fish caught is probably more important to that person than any buckle or coin, regardless of date..... :laughing7:

for me I love alot of hobbies ---I sure don't hold myself just to detecting. I have a bass boat and love to fish, I have a big camper and love to go RVing, so yea, those manufactures got alot of my money :laughing9:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
actually metal detecting is cheap compared to alot of other hobbies, my fishing hobby cost me 10 x more with the boat and all the gear, not to mention double the gas (boat and truck) and i can't say that my boat has paid for itself :(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I paid over 2k for my tv and now see the same one for $800.

Over 11 years I've paid $$$$ for detecting equipment and recovered $$$$$ worth of finds, so don't mind paying a grand plus for a good detector. Just one very good find can take care of almost all your cost for equipment.

PS... I'm glad top model detectors aren't cheap because people that don't know better think the detector does all the work, so it would be much more likely there would be many more newbies out there making a mess. (not caring - just thinking there's easy money to be made)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions