best digging tool?

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
The Lesche Is my present hand digging tool for parks, schools, and private property. For my age they are sometimes not the easiest tool to dig with especially in dry soil like we got last fall. But are great for cutting roots and removing soil from the hole. They are strong, never need sharpening, and you just can't seem to hurt them.

If it were not for the publics up turned eye brows I would prefer the Predator digging shovel. They would be much easier on my old back and I have seen some in use and they will dig just as clean a plug (if not cleaner) then any hand digger I have used. Unfortunately not every one sees it my way. On Public property in particular. Would like to have one for woods hunting and plowed fields. Just my old two cents worth. :coffee2: Rick

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-master,

Nothing directed at you. The rolling eyes where my way of trying to be sheepish. The wife says I have too many toys. On metal detecting accessories I do tend to buy to try. Sometimes I sell what I really don,t want or like. I would never be at odds with a fellow Minelab user. :headbang:

Ed D.

Feb 24, 2011
Based on my experience Letsche digger is a superb digger but I heard that Preditor folks declare they invented it. As for me I use a customized one but would be pleased with a Letsche type digger. :icon_thumleft:

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Born2Dtect said:
Kayaker,

The plug is just rounded not straight edged. Kind of like a half circle flap in grass. I think it is good for areas with rocks clay and sand. Not good in the roots. The extra beef does let you shove it in all the way in the ground and pop the dirt out in one dig. Gets those 6-8 " targets fast. The shape does take a little getting used to. If you don,t allow for the curve of the blade you will dig in toward the find as you go deeper. You don't want to scratch a good keeper.

I do have the Raptor and Gator as backups or a loaner if needed.

Ed D.

Hi Ed,
Some good points there. I hadn't thought about how easy it would make popping out a shallow, round plug.

I don't have one yet, but I think I'm partial to the Predator tools, since the owner was the original inventor of the Lesche digger. I particularly like the new Model 75 digger with the longer handle, but find it odd that the metal end cap doesn't appear to be rounded... seems like a good blister maker. That, and the $71.95 price tag (plus $10 shipping!) have me hesitant.

Just edited this post to say I saw a little video by detecting guru/writer Tom Dankowski, showing his opinion on the most "non-destructive" digging technique. He uses a pretty big shovel (and digs a "very large hole" - in his words). I guess he might be right since a bigger, deeper hole might actually heal quicker. But, as others have mentioned, I think doing that might get you in trouble. I never realized this new hobby of mine seems to be pretty contentious!

- Kayaker

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Born2Dtect... :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

I've herd some folks like old military bayonetts (or a folding shovel for the woods) anybody use these?

123852_ts.JPG

128830_ts.JPG

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ChristopherFen said:
Based on my experience Letsche digger is a superb digger but I heard that Preditor folks declare they invented it. As for me I use a customized one but would be pleased with a Letsche type digger. :icon_thumleft:

George Lesche is the inventer of the Lesche digger. Some years back there was issues with George and others involved with the Lesche Tool company and George parted ways, leaving the company name behind. (Reader's Digest condensed version). George later opened Predator Tools (www.predatortools.com) and started manufacturing some serious diggers, including the Model 85 (Original Lesche digger) and the others pictured above.

I have an original Lesche and love it.

As for folding shovels, if you can find an actual Army folding shovel from the late sixties, grab it. It would be made by Ames manufacturing. Those are good sturdy shovels. I have a cheap Chinese knockoff that isn't worth the effort to throw away. I just yesterday picked up a new "Etool" folding shovel that seems to be of pretty good quality for $20 at a local Army Surplus store. Blade seems pretty sharp.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-master said:
Born2Dtect... :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

I've herd some folks like old military bayonetts (or a folding shovel for the woods) anybody use these?

123852_ts.JPG

128830_ts.JPG

I use exact this folding shovel when were hitting the woods. Swiss made, very sturdy but also heavy. Cost over here about $15 including the leather carrybag. Works perfect for digging larger holes during battlefield hunting even in soil with many stones. For the fields i have a selfmade stainless steel shovel similar to the predator ones.
I dont like the bayonet idea for digging. :icon_scratch: I have a divingknife with me just to careful expose finds.

Goldmoon

May 6, 2012
BC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Ironclad "Viking" Digger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree that the lesche is a great tool and I would still recommend it, but as far as hand diggers, I now use an Ironclad Viking. Not just because I make them, but because it will never rust or bend, and cuts through roots like butter. It's about $15-20 more than the lesche price wise but it will last you a lifetime.

They are also available with different colored handles now:

2015-08-03 15.55.55.jpg

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not wait for my Viking. It's quite intimidating, but as far as this island ground goes, I need something that's eats trough this thick ground. I wonder what the spectators will think and or say. People seem to really like to approach me. .....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what and where you are looking for underground.
I use small metal spoon for digging, screwdriver, Hand made brass dull ice pick type probe, Knife for cutting slit or triangle flap, Gator digger, Y shaped weed gardening tool, Foldable Military type shovel, large hand shovel, Small Maddox, Large Maddox, Drywall Saw for roots, Sand scoop, and medium plastic spoon for checking dirt for metal.
I just select from the above a few items to take depending on where I'm going and what I'm looking for.
Marvin

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO the best tool is the Evolution Extreme Blade.

Had it 2 years - sill perfect.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a blade type hand digging tool like the Lesche, cut a V notch in the bottom of the sheath. Mud will accumulate in the sheath and plug it up, but a notch will allow the dried soil to fall out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread