Cellar or well???

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lastyear while searching for one of my leads I encountered a 5' deep rectangular cellar hole(stone) approx. 20'x12' but about 20yds. away I found a circular hole(stone) about 4' in diameter. I had a tough time swinging my detector due to it being late summer and the weeds were thick.I do know that a farm was located there but just wondered what ya'll thought the circular hole was used for. I've heard that people would throw stuff in wells and even outhouse pits. How far were outhouses generally located from the home? Also Im not sure if the rectangular pit would have been a home foundation or maybe a milk house! Any thoughts? I did make a surface find (a pair of scissors). I plan on metal detecting the site this spring while the weeds are all dead. Should I dig in the pits??? Thanks for any advice!!! Good huntin' and happy St.Patricks Day!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Too shallow for a cellar, That is an area below a house that is completely below grade. They are usually 7'or 8' deep. Could be a basement,That is an area below a house that is partly below grade, usually has windows in the built up part above grade. The round hole is to small for a silo. Could be a well if it is deep enough or could be a trash burning pit. If it's a fire pit it will be at least 50' from the house. Check for a depression where the outhouse would have been. If its up hill from that it is probably a well, if downhill probably fire pit.
The big pit is probably the house if there is no larger pit. FRANK

PS: When I go to a place like that I usually give a fast once over with a 2Box to look for the big valuable stuff and then a carefull go over with my XLT for the remaining goodies.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 4' diameter hole could be a cistern that would be used to collect rain water. But, I don't know. I think cisterns were pretty close to the house and would collect rain water that would fall off the roof. Could be the well itself.

The rectangular hole sounds like a cellar hole to me. Most the ones I've been to are only 5' deep or so with lots of the stones on bottom. As far as detecting the place. Anyplace out of the main iron patchs. Grid a few places and try to get an idea of where the activity was. And keep working the place. Persistence is the name of the game around cellar holes.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
JOHUNT

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! I plan on visiting the site soon. The circular pit is filled to about 2' from surface of surrounding ground. There is also a slight rise of the ground between the foundation and the well. It's almost as if the house was built upon a small knob. I do know that the farm ceased in the 1930's and that the buildings(barns) were auctioned off and relocated. Maybe if they're still standing and if I located them that would tell me alot! There is also a lost cemetary of black farm workers that was discovered some years ago and at the time was apparently vandalized. It's location is unknown today.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a good place to hunt. Just remember persistence pays off.

If they had workers that lived with them, then they may have had some wealth and social status. Which would mean they may have hosted social gatherings at the property which would give you more opportunity to find stuff.

Here's a link to some old maps of New York counties: http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/New York/
You can view the maps online for free. Some of the maps show where structures are located (black squares).

Good Luck!
-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions