Coil Covers - Should you use them?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Does the fact that you have to buy a coil cover separately for your metal detector indicate that the manufacturers think you don't really need one?

Or are they hoping you'll wear a hole in your coil and have to buy a new coil from them?

In this show, I discuss some reasons you should use a coil cover, and some reasons you may not want to use one after all.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

---Dan Hughes, http://treasuremanual.com

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The fact of the matter is that an intelligent user of an expensive electronic piece of equipment does not drag it on the ground or beat it against rocks. Does that answer your question?
Sorry Dan, This is one of my blunt answer days. FRANK

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are worth the money. just like insurance, just in case. besides, they are cheap

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Luke, that's like saying you buy insurance for your car because you like to run into things.
Wouldn't it be easier on your detector to hold the coil 1" above the ground?
Two things kill detectors, heat and vibration, and dragging that coil causes a lot of vibration.

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
I have seen coils in the desert worn through to the wiring, they still work. If you have an open coil and work in an area with sand or loose soil it can fill up with debris and add weight to your swing. A coil cover will protect your coil from scratches thus maintaining any resale value, but if you are concerned about a change in performance don't. :read2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one at the beach, on land if you hunt area with rocks I would suggest one...You can also spray the coil with apoxy, spray on truck bed liner, or Plasti-dip. (Same thing you dip tools in to give them the rubber handles)......The good thing about plasti-dip is it can be removed if needed, bed liner can't really be done easily, and epoxy want come off............

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Luke, that's like saying you buy insurance for your car because you like to run into things.
Two things kill detectors, heat and vibration, and dragging that coil causes a lot of vibration.(no that one inch less penetration your missing all the good stuff)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used a coil cover....bang those things off rocks, scrub the ground...never broke a coil or a detector.
Been detecting since the 80's and do consider myself an intelligent person.

We never had coil covers so there wasn't an option. Think it's just something manufacturers are hawking for the ones that think a scratch will ruin there machine. I don't worry about aesthetics...just what I can find.

Al

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal your detector probably has one you just didn't notice especially a stock detector I bought a 8by14 dd for my mxt and the coil cover was not in clouded and wouldn't you no it I crack that 199.99 coil you think White's would of gave you one at that price. i found out it was cracked when i was out after a rain storm it took a bout 6 months to dry out.so i 5 minute epoxy it, it turn yellow and pealed off i could of cried I was wondering why it was acting up. it was falsing like an atpro out of the box. I believe 100% on coil covers you should take them off and clean out the sand once in a why all.coil cover are a must and if any buddy says different they'll find out the hard way.I wish my 15 inch blue maximum had one I asked white's they don't make one for that coil and all ready it's getting beat up and that coil is not cheap either. be smart use a coil cover.un less your J.D rocker feller and money is no object to you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Never used a coil cover....bang those things off rocks, scrub the ground...never broke a coil or a detector.

We never had coil covers so there wasn't an option. Think it's just something manufacturers are hawking for the ones that think a scratch will ruin there machine. I don't worry about aesthetics...just what I can find.

Al

Coil cover also makes a difference when you go to resell it. If I am buying a used detector, I pay attention to the coil's condition and I am less likely to buy a used detector where the coil shows heavy wear......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Liftloop, I have been using Whites detectors since the 70's without covers and never damaged a coil. From what you said, you have to learn how to swing a coil!

For the comment, " if you hold it up 1" you miss all the good stuff", I would reply, Get a better detector.
On my last trip out before the freeze set in, I found a $3k ruby ring and it was only 4" deep !
Frank.

Attachments

• ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 301
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 303

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers are like flood insurance, it's cheap and you may never need it, but you want really know you needed it till it is too late. They sure come in handy when you do.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Treasure_hunter, did you read my post? Hunting since the '70s, never lost a coil. Doesn't sound like I need insurance. Plus the fact that covers are a pain in the ass. They trap moisture and grit causing falseing and they add extra weight and on the Whites they cover that nice hole in the center of the coil that bullseyes the target. Like life insurance, YOU will never collect on it !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Treasure_hunter, did you read my post? Hunting since the '70s, never lost a coil. Doesn't sound like I need insurance. Plus the fact that covers are a pain in the ass. They trap moisture and grit causing falseing and they add extra weight and on the Whites they cover that nice hole in the center of the coil that bullseyes the target. Like life insurance, YOU will never collect on it !

Yes sir I read it....You haven't crack one, but how many other people have cracked one who didn't have a cover on..... I cracked one of my WOTs when it slid down off my truck and hit the congrete with the coil, had no coil cover on it, cover may have protected it from cracking then or may not have, no way of knowing...... Point is, you want know you need it till it is too late if something happens and your not using one, it is too late after the fact, just like flood insurance........ I use one when I hunt land, but don't when I hunt water, when I hunt land I clean the coil before I start the hunt., I never get enough dirt in it while hunting land to matter.....

In the end it is each hunters choice, there are advantages to it and disadvantages to it each hunter decides.....

Life insurance isn't for the person it is on, it is for their survivors, my life insurance is for my wife and kids............

Now flood insurance is for you, and just because it has never flooded in someone's lifetime, doesn't mean it want...... Check out the 500 year flood plains.... I had friends in Missouri who lost everything in the floods of 1993 which were at levels not seen in 500 years, they bought no flood insurance because it never flooded....till then....

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is HUGE Frankn.

I bet I could have found it without even using a detector. :tongue3:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Two things kill detectors, heat and vibration, and dragging that coil causes a lot of vibration.
That's one inch of depth lost :icon_scratch: I scrape mine across the ground all the time, and just replace the cover when it wears out :thumbsup:

SS

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
When I buy I look for condition condition condition keep it on it will bring you the most money just learn to clean it once in a while

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trainer said:
When I buy I look for condition condition condition keep it on it will bring you the most money just learn to clean it once in a while

Same here, I have bought at least 8 used detectors and the the condition of the coil is always one of the msajor factor on if I buy or not... I want buy if the coil shows a lot of wear and tear.....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:

Al
So do you take them off if you buy a detector that has one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread