ran into a couple detectorists today

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro
so i saw some people detecting in a park i usually stop at, so im a friendly guy and i introduced myself, i did have my at pro and the old guy out of the blue says what are you gonna do with that piece of junk :o i think they were using e-trac machines, i told him i would gladly show him up any day he would like to try me we could have a little contest in the park now. well he waked away and me and the other guy talked civil like for a few minutes and went our ways . they said they belonged to a hunt club here in ohio, i know the club he was talking about , and some members belong to this site too. my point is why would that old guy be so hostile toward me, are people that protective over the areas they hunt. i know an e-trac is more expensive than the at pro , but is an insult the way to start a conversation with a fellow detectorist? heck i was just trying to be nice, and could care less about another detectorist in my area, its not my property they are hunting, heck i woulda liked to have maby someone to hunt with, maby trade some storys about finds.
lets all be civil , theres enough burried trash and treasure for us all. HH . anyone ever had an experience like this.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeez.

Whatta D. bag.

Shoulda told him that you were gonna stick it under water and find stuff..... can yours do that?

Shame, Minelabs were on my list when shoppin, but I couldnt get em wet..... and I was prepared to spend twice what I did for my AT.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's all about one ups man ship.. Just because you own the fastest car on the planet, doesn't prove you can drive. I actually love running into people like this, and have a bit a of fun with them. When I'm finished they wouldn't know which way is up. :laughing7: I am a king at handing out back handed compliments, most wouldn't realize they been duped until way later.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakemonster said:
Jeez.

Whatta D. bag.

Shoulda told him that you were gonna stick it under water and find stuff..... can yours do that?

Shame, Minelabs were on my list when shoppin, but I couldnt get em wet..... and I was prepared to spend twice what I did for my AT.

You could have bought and used the Minelab Excal for both land and water, I used mine on land for at least a year.....

As far as the guys insulting comments, there are buttheads in every sport or hobby so no loss with him......

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty sad.

On the same note, I'm almost positive there's people on this forum that won't respond to certain people's threads because of what detector they use. Ignorance

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT said:
That's pretty sad.

On the same note, I'm almost positive there's people on this forum that won't respond to certain people's threads because of what detector they use. Ignorance

I can care less what detector someone uses, if they post a nice find it is a NICE find......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincmaster, this "type" of detectorist is more common than you think. It is difficult to gage their motivations. Sometimes it is simple arrogance; other times it is insecurity; then there are folks that believe you are hunting "their" space - and of course, sometimes it is all of the above. Just remember when you encounter these people, that your karma will always trump theirs. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zincmaster

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro
Terry Soloman said:
Zincmaster, this "type" of detectorist is more common than you think. It is difficult to gage their motivations. Sometimes it is simple arrogance; other times it is insecurity; then there are folks that believe you are hunting "their" space - and of course, sometimes it is all of the above. Just remember when you encounter these people, that your karma will always trump theirs. :thumbsup:
(right on) :hello:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
with guys like that
walk behind them swinging the MD, LOL
find a target dig and then pull the ring out of your pocket put in the hole get it dirty, "" hey look what you walked over""

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2cmorau said:
with guys like that
walk behind them swinging the MD, LOL
find a target dig and then pull the ring out of your pocket put in the hole get it dirty, "" hey look what you walked over""

Oh I am so remembering that hot little tip! :hello2: :thumbsup:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I belonged to a club similar to that. Very protective over their hunting grounds. You ask where they find what they found and you get answers like "my secret spot" and "over there". I dont belong to that club anymore. This hobby isnt for me and me only. Its for everyone.

28138digger

May 16, 2011
Lexington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to hear that being new to this! I am really sorry that this happened to you! I hope that if I run into anybody MDing that they are as excited to meet fellow MDists as I am... Hope you had a great hunt anyway! HH

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There is guy here in my town that won't even speak to you when he is detecting or talk about detecting when he isn't. Some folks are just unsocial I guess :dontknow:

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I just don't know about some people. It's kinda sad really....anyway I wouldn't worry about it, like stated above their is one in every crowed. Never know, he might be watching your posts or if you have You Tube saying, "I wish I could find stuff like him." :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very rarely run into other detectorists up here but when I do we like to talk. We'll ask about machines, but no cuttin each other down. I also respect their space and move off to another area. They have done the same for me.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Don't let guys like that get to you. I own a E-Trac and my son owns a much less expensive detector then mine, but I've seen days he'll find circles around me.

Most of the machines built today are pretty efficient detectors. Learn to use your machine and you will hunt circles around that one that cost twice what yours does. Ignore them they won't go away but with practice you'll hunt circles around them. Best of luck Rick :coffee2:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk on and don't let people like that bother you. Life is WAY to short to even give people like that any time in my book. Easier said than done but that's how I feel.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread