ran into a couple detectorists today

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Over the years I have owned many different metal detectors, always seemed to have to have what was newest and better.

I've owned Whites, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, Fisher (CZ6, best machine I've ever owned,and still hunt with it.), I've owned Compass, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab. All were good machines and I've hunted side by side with coin shooters using different models of ever one of the above. In all those years I've never heard or made a comment about how much better mine was then yours. Yes we all were currious about how the other hunter was doing, and would swap stories about our finds. Thats what makes this hobby so much fun. Sure it's fun to make great finds but it's also fun to see the other guy make good finds and get to enjoy seeing them. That's where coin hunting clubs shine and are so much fun. That's what we are doing right here on these forums is it not?

It's getting sad when people use such tactics to down grade another hunter. I've seen people with cheaper machines then mine hunt circles around me and I say more power to them. This hobby is about making finds and yes I would like it to be me , but I enjoy seeing the other guy do well and if I can't make those finds I at least enjoy seeing what the other guy finds. My son and I always have a little competition between us, but it's all in fun and we both chear each other on because we love to see each other enjoying themselves. I guess not every one is that way, but that to bad and to sad for them as they are missing what this hobby is really about.

Rick :coffee2:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Over the years I have owned many different metal detectors, always seemed to have to have what was newest and better.

I've owned Whites, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, Fisher (CZ6, best machine I've ever owned,and still hunt with it.), I've owned Compass, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab. All were good machines and I've hunted side by side with coin shooters using different models of ever one of the above. In all those years I've never heard or made a comment about how much better mine was then yours. Yes we all were currious about how the other hunter was doing, and would swap stories about our finds. Thats what makes this hobby so much fun. Sure it's fun to make great finds but it's also fun to see the other guy make good finds and get to enjoy seeing them. That's where coin hunting clubs shine and are so much fun. That's what we are doing right here on these forums is it not?

It's getting sad when people use such tactics to down grade another hunter. I've seen people with cheaper machines then mine hunt circles around me and I say more power to them. This hobby is about making finds and yes I would like it to be me , but I enjoy seeing the other guy do well and if I can't make those finds I at least enjoy seeing what the other guy finds. My son and I always have a little competition between us, but it's all in fun and we both chear each other on because we love to see each other enjoying themselves. I guess not every one is that way, but that to bad and to sad for them as they are missing what this hobby is really about.

Rick :coffee2:

:icon_thumleft:

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy's just another asshole. Don't let it get to you. Every hobby and sport has them. Almost all motorcyclist wave to each other, except hardcore Harley riders. That has now spread to hardcore wannabe's. Road bicyclist top the list of Aholes. Not only do they look down on cyclist riding comfort or hybrid bikes, they look down on people riding lesser road bikes and who are not dressed like Lance. Billiards player discriminate by handicap, monohull sailors don't consider Hobie's real boats, though the Hobie guys can sail rings around mono hull guys, and out race them in one design match races. HLG Glider guys don't want to be on the same field with newbies. And the list goes on.
Some of what you experienced is protected turf syndrome. The rest is just human nature.

The world is full of assholes. Don't take it personally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread