ocean city Md.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I have a few days off next week and was thinking of heading to the beach. Can someone please tell me what time you can go on the beach in the morning and what time you have to be off in the evening.
Personally I would like to night hunt but I have no idea if it is allowed.

Thank you
Joe

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Ocean City MD,

BEACH RULES - Ball-throwing, frisbees, and other sports are not allowed while the Beach Patrol Guards are on duty between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. daily from May 30 to September 15. The use of kites, surf mats and boogie boards is under the control of the Beach Patrol Guards. Sleeping is not permitted on the beach between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. No private vehicles are permitted on the beach at any time. Surf fishing is permitted but not within 50 yards of swimmers or of anyone on the beach between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the info. but that still leaves the question open.
What time are you allowed to be on the beach in the morning and how late at night?
And/or is night hunting permitted?

Thank you
Joe

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
That is the only time restriction laws I found for the beach. That is taken from the official rules for the city's beaches.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Joe, if the rules don't say a beach closing time (ie.: closed at sunset, etc...), then I guess, by definition, the beach must be open at night. :o In the same way if you come to an intersection of a street in your car, and don't see a sign prohibiting U-turns, then one assumes he can make a U-turn, right?

Oh, and sometimes there is signs on parking lots next to beaches which might say "closed at sunset" or "closed at 10pm", etc.... Bear in mind that this may only apply to parked cars (to keep people from camping over night in their cars at beaches) and may not mean that the BEACH ITSELF is closed at night.

I know of no beach that closes at night. Unlike land/turfed parks, which might have open and closed hours, I don't think any ocean beaches "close at night".

As far as if detecting is allowed, the same psychology would apply: if there's no rule prohibiting it, then one assumes there's no prohibitions. Then no need to wonder "can I?", right? And why would night then, be any different than day?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Yeah because there is not a single sign anywhere that says "Beach open all night long", or "U-Turns Acceptable". So if there isn't a sign, it's allowed 95% of the time.

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
I was reading the city rules and saw the time for the guards. also their saying about beach cleaners at night, but nothing about night fishing.
Or being out past the high tide mark.

Thank you for your replies
Joe

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt OC a ton going tommorow. Never had a problem anytime I am there. I usually go in the morning say 4ish and stay till 11 or so. just stay out of the way of the beach cleaners. You should not have any problems detecting anytime. I never have. Been out there at least a dozen times in the last month and a half.

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Ty lonelyduckhunter that is what I was hoping to hear.
Info from someone who hunts there regularly.
Ty
Joe

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Joe, if the rules don't say a beach closing time (ie.: closed at sunset, etc...), then I guess, by definition, the beach must be open at night. :o In the same way if you come to an intersection of a street in your car, and don't see a sign prohibiting U-turns, then one assumes he can make a U-turn, right?

Unless of course you live in a state where U-turns are prohibited state wide making signs unnecessary. Just because something isn't explicitly stated as being illegal or forbidden doesn't mean that it is legal to do it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
mts, you say:

"Unless of course you live in a state where U-turns are prohibited state wide".

Sure, and such a prohibition would be easy to find on the net right? I mean, in this day & age where every city, county, state, etc.... has websites, you'd be able to look it up, right? Like in the case you give, of a state which might forbid U-turns everywhere, then presumably that is in the DMV codebook of that state, which should be found on-line right?

So that being the case, let's say a person finds the rules for his beach, that is more encompassing than the wooden sign at the entrance to the park or beach. And if that list were silent on the issue of metal detecting, then couldn't we assume that there are no prohibitions?

I mean, like in the case of your state-wide prohibition of U-turns, presumably that would be able to be found somewhere, in such a way that all drivers would have a way to know this type of rule. So too, if your analogy were to continue, would a prohibition to metal detecting somehow need to be able to be sluethed out, by someone specifically searching for the info.

And if they look, and see no prohibitions, then to me, it's not disallowed.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
mts, you say:

"Unless of course you live in a state where U-turns are prohibited state wide".

Sure, and such a prohibition would be easy to find on the net right? I mean, in this day & age where every city, county, state, etc.... has websites, you'd be able to look it up, right? Like in the case you give, of a state which might forbid U-turns everywhere, then presumably that is in the DMV codebook of that state, which should be found on-line right?

So that being the case, let's say a person finds the rules for his beach, that is more encompassing than the wooden sign at the entrance to the park or beach. And if that list were silent on the issue of metal detecting, then couldn't we assume that there are no prohibitions?

I mean, like in the case of your state-wide prohibition of U-turns, presumably that would be able to be found somewhere, in such a way that all drivers would have a way to know this type of rule. So too, if your analogy were to continue, would a prohibition to metal detecting somehow need to be able to be sluethed out, by someone specifically searching for the info.

And if they look, and see no prohibitions, then to me, it's not disallowed.

You only know to look up what you know to look up. There are hundreds of laws we don't think about every day. Do you go out and look up every single thing that you do on the web to make sure that it isn't illegal? Let's not forget though that U-turns can also be prohibited city wide. Did you research the U-turn laws online for every city that you may pass through on your summer road trip? I'm being facetious of course. But it always holds that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Assuming that because you don't see a sign means that you are allowed to do whatever you want to do is going to get someone in trouble.

As for your other questions, I guarantee you that there is no sign or web site explicitly stating that I can't rearrange all of the park benches in my local park. But doing so would likely get me into a lot of trouble.

You keep constantly beating the same drum over and over again. I just wish you would learn to play a different tune. ::)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing... this thread isn't an appropriate place to get up on your soapbox or for us to argue semantics. So I won't be responding to any further points out of respect for the OP.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Joe: here's your answer. The beach is always open. You can metal detect 24 houres a day if you want. I just left OC today. There is some construction going on for the DEW Tour which runs this Thursday to the 24th. The event will be crowded but the pickins will be great at the end of the tour. The tour is a BMX bike and skateboard event. Good luck, Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
frankn, you say:

"The beach is always open. You can metal detect 24 houres a day if you want."

How do you know that? Seems to me, based on what I'm reading here, that a person would need to prove there's no potential rule out there that might apply. Merely not seeing a prohibition, upon a cursory look at a sign, or a cursory study of a public entities possible on-line rule lists, may not be enough. Unless you can prove there is no rule, then maybe you should assume you "can't", until proven other-wise? Afterall, you can't be too safe, right? You might be arrested, right? Thus you need to ask a desk-bound bureaucrat "can I?" appears to be the only ultimate "safe route", the way I'm reading things here.

And the fact that you or others go un-bothered, and no one's ever cared, also doesn't seem to be authoritative. It simply means that perhaps you didn't ask enough questions, far enough up the chain of command, searching long and hard for something to apply to your "pressing question" :icon_scratch:

As you can see, I type this out in jest. I too would do nothing more than base my actions on real-life results, and a cursory check of any rules.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Tom_in_CA: I just asked the lifeguard. It's that simple ! The lifeguard even thanked me when I handed him a hand full of wire tent pins and sharp iron parts. That was good for the M.D. Image.

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the replies
We are going to be there Wednesday morning til, depends on the results. we all know when the pickings are fun you can stay forever, but when they are slim and junk you get tired fast.
It is about a 4 hour ride for us. and I have 8 day vacation starting tomorrow. So we might even be back next week.
Thank you again.
Joe and Kathy

PS the answers of I know because I was there is what was needed.
Thank you

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the beach in OD MD is available all night if you want. i have detected it many many times, spoken to cops,the beach cleaner guys etc you will not have a problem AT ALL PERIOD. have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread