Best affordable starter detector out now (current 2011)??

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
try the delta 4000 made by teknetics (see it at kellyco -via the main page ad)==only ($279)-- a mere $67 bucks more than the ace 250 * --but in my veiw a big improvement --- its a 0 to 99 number display model (100 slots) in effect vs the 12 blocks that the 250 has --thus its got - 8 rimes the sorting room to sort things out into -- yhe ace 250 with a mere 12 blocks --crams things together -- so 10 k gold rings and pulltabs are crammed together --so DIG IT ALL - if you want rings --in my book that sucks -- with the delta I have theres is a 2 digit differance between MOST (not all but MOST) PULLTABS and 10 k rings --gold rings and gold items are where the big bucks are at

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HunterSteve said:
Its been a while since I been on here, I originally had the ACE250 but had to pawn it, want to get back in "the game" so I got some extra $ to buy a new one, should i get a new ace or tesero or?? all inpute greatly appreciated thanks..

I love this question! How many times has it been asked - by how many newbies? And the answers! :laughing7:

How about this?

"Hi everyone! I had a blonde a few years ago, and I really enjoyed her. I decided to get back into it, but I'm not sure what to upgrade to. I see a lot of you go with brunettes, but I have always wondered if I might do better with a redhead?" :help:

HunterSteve, Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Fisher.. ALL make great intro machines. Pick the one that will ring YOUR bell, and get in the dirt! :thumbsup:

PS - I like brunettes, and the Tesoro Compadre $160.00 :laughing7: :headbang:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend a Tesoro for just starting out, a Cibola would be a good starter detector as it has a pinpoint.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a lot depends upon you and your budget and likes /dislikes --- do you want a tone only ( no visual display type machine )--or would you rather have a visual screen type machine ? --whats your price limit? what are your tech skills --are you a dud or a computer whiz ? ( some machines can be a bit hard for non tech savvy folks ) ---theres a lot of factors to figger in to find the best fit for you --one big one is what type of soil areas will you be working in >-- got high minerals or not ?--if your in a very bad mineral area -- a adjustible ground balance type machine is well advised. ---many lower cost machines are preset or "fixed" ground balance ---which is fine for 90% of the places you will encounter

Hendo

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce
HunterSteve said:
Its been a while since I been on here, I originally had the ACE250 but had to pawn it, want to get back in "the game" so I got some extra $ to buy a new one, should i get a new ace or tesero or?? all inpute greatly appreciated thanks..

If your relatively new, I would buy the Garrett Ace line of detectors. It has some advance features and is relatively easy to use. More importantly, there are loads of users, and over 1,000 YouTube video to help you use it.

hus4154

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the same boat. I got a Radio Shack Famous Trails MD9300 from my wife for Christmas. The more I use it, the better I do, but it certainly has limitations. After about 8 months with this machine, I am looking to upgrade. I'd like to find a machine that works in wet sand at the New Jersey beaches and also able to find things on the parks and trails of western Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm surprised that nobody really elaborated in the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It's a great Beep and dig machine that can be had for about $80.00! A great starter assembly that is tough as nails. It also has great tone range and can give a guy some good experience learning the ins and outs of intonation and tonal differences based on metallic. On top of that, there is a pretty nice 4" Gold Seeker Coil that can be bought for around $30.00 to make this machine worth its weight in gold. No pun intended.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do yourself a favor and go with the Tesoro. Very easy to turn on and go, good depth, and LIFETIME WARRANTY

We offer easy payment plans with NO catches and we are open 7 days a week.

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
BornOnFire said:
I'm surprised that nobody really elaborated in the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It's a great Beep and dig machine that can be had for about $80.00! A great starter assembly that is tough as nails. It also has great tone range and can give a guy some good experience learning the ins and outs of intonation and tonal differences based on metallic. On top of that, there is a pretty nice 4" Gold Seeker Coil that can be bought for around $30.00 to make this machine worth its weight in gold. No pun intended.

This is the one i am currently using it my wifes stepdads dont really care for it! doesnt go very deep and there is basically only 2 tones the high beep for junk metal and the mixed chatter for pull tabs and coins and everything that not solid metal! Im wanting the AT Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hendo said:
HunterSteve said:

If your relatively new, I would buy the Garrett Ace line of detectors. It has some advance features and is relatively easy to use. More importantly, there are loads of users, and over 1,000 YouTube video to help you use it.
This..... because of the instructional videos on youtube

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want a display go back to the Ace. If you really want to learn to listen to your machine, go with a Tesoro.

kyyote

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HunterSteve said:

check out www.metaldetector.com
last day is today until midnight, they are having a big sale, I just bought a Bounty Hunter 3500 w/extra kit of goodies including headphones, for $249.99
I picked it up at store, they have a great on-line order department and you save the tax outside of Massachusetts. My 2 cents worth. (Use to have a White, way too heavy.)

BadgerBoy

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2007
Snellville, Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people seem to either ignore or not be aware that the Bounty Hunter machines are quite decent machines, constantly being improved and come with a 5 yr. warranty. Much bally-hoo is made about the other major brands and perhaps rightfully so but the newer, mid-level BH machines are very reasonably priced (comparable to entry prices of others) and offer many features of the other brands. A good example of one that's been out a while (and that I have) is the Sharp Shooter II (Discovery 3000 as marketed by Radio Shack) which can be had on the cheap and offer no-motion mode for pinpointing, ground balancing, multi-tones/disc/nothing features and are still easy to use. They also go much deeper than one would think and I've had luck both relic hunting and coin shooting with my BH detectors. They do make "entry" level machines which I would ignore as someone serious about getting into detecting but are great for both kids and the occasional weekend-getaway types but if you want simple and inexpensive yet effective with 4 segment ID and 3 tones there is the Quck Silver and you can go up from there. The BH machines are also pretty good over a variety of soil types.
This is just my humble opinion and I'm sure people will argue but, that's what these forums are for, yes?

BadgerBoy

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2007
Snellville, Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people seem to either ignore or not be aware that the Bounty Hunter machines are quite decent machines, constantly being improved and come with a 5 yr. warranty. Much bally-hoo is made about the other major brands and perhaps rightfully so but the newer, mid-level BH machines are very reasonably priced (comparable to entry prices of others) and offer many features of the other brands. A good example of one that's been out a while (and that I have) is the Sharp Shooter II (Discovery 3000 as marketed by Radio Shack) which can be had on the cheap and offer no-motion mode for pinpointing, ground balancing, multi-tones/disc/nothing features and are still easy to use. They also go much deeper than one would think and I've had luck both relic hunting and coin shooting with my BH detectors. They do make "entry" level machines which I would ignore as someone serious about getting into detecting but are great for both kids and the occasional weekend-getaway types but if you want simple and inexpensive yet effective with 4 segment ID and 3 tones there is the Quck Silver and you can go up from there. The BH machines are also pretty good over a variety of soil types.
This is just my humble opinion and I'm sure people will argue but, that's what these forums are for, yes?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions