Hunting a human body?

Spirtgold

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
Heres a good one in my Craigslist today.

"Need to borrow Metal Detector: Our son swallowed a nickel on 4th of July and have heard a metal detector would locate it. Yes, we have been to the doctor, TWICE!" :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :help:

I'm thinking it should have passed by now? Should I contact them? It will prob scare the poop out of this little guy metal detecting him?

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
go for it, just don't ask to keep your finds :laughing7:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
He'd feel it coming out, a nickel is larger than his butt hole, it'd hurt. Plus he has a small chance of getting nickel poison.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
He'd feel it coming out, a nickel is larger than his butt hole, it'd hurt. Plus he has a small chance of getting nickel poison.
Feed him Lots of corn, And keep him Lubed up..... :thumbsup:

Keep him pointed in a safe direction.... ;D

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
The first thing I would have done is go to the hospital, why ask a stranger to metal detect him?? Whats that going to do, remove it? X-rays would pick it up.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You can find a coin in a kid if there is a question of whether or not they did swallow it . Why does everyone get so adamant about rushing off to the doctor every time a kid does what kids do ?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not answer this ad. If they have any concerns they should go back to a doctor or the hospital. This can only end badly for you. If you run your detector over the kid and find nothing, yet he subsequently dies you could be liable. If you run your detector over the kid and incorrectly identify that he has a metal object in him then they may sue your for causing undue stress.

Before anyone writes me off as being overly cautious, did you know that some metal detectors can pick up the iron content in some of your organs? A couple of years ago I was joking around and ran my metal detector over my son's butt area. It actually beeped. It really had us worried. It turns out that the detector is sensitive enough to pick up lots of things in your body that are not swallowed nickels. So it is probable that you will scan this kid and "find something" when in fact there is nothing there at all.

Go try scanning your chest area. I'll wait.......... see what I mean? And I bet you didn't swallow any nickels either. Now imagine what would have happened if you had scanned this kid without knowing that your detector would pretty much always give you a false positive...

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I pooped out passed a penny once. I will always remember the "clink" sound it made when it hit the porcelain.

I'd stay away from that ad like someone with leprosy.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I pooped out passed a penny once. I will always remember the "clink" sound it made when it hit the porcelain.

I'd stay away from that ad like someone with leprosy.
Did you make a Wish when you heard it clink? :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Spirtgold

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
mts said:
I would not answer this ad. If they have any concerns they should go back to a doctor or the hospital. This can only end badly for you. If you run your detector over the kid and find nothing, yet he subsequently dies you could be liable. If you run your detector over the kid and incorrectly identify that he has a metal object in him then they may sue your for causing undue stress.

Before anyone writes me off as being overly cautious, did you know that some metal detectors can pick up the iron content in some of your organs? A couple of years ago I was joking around and ran my metal detector over my son's butt area. It actually beeped. It really had us worried. It turns out that the detector is sensitive enough to pick up lots of things in your body that are not swallowed nickels. So it is probable that you will scan this kid and "find something" when in fact there is nothing there at all.

Go try scanning your chest area. I'll wait.......... see what I mean? And I bet you didn't swallow any nickels either. Now imagine what would have happened if you had scanned this kid without knowing that your detector would pretty much always give you a false positive...

Yes, that was my same concern. This is some interesting information about iron content, thanks. If they contact me, I will pass this information to them.
I guess this is the reason doctors don't use metal detectors. I've heard coins are sometimes hard to spot (most likely on edge) in x-rays. I do feel sorry for the parents...but in my case, better to be safe than sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions